Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Erma ELG 10 Winchester Rifle

Erma ELG 10 Winchester Rifle

This rifle probably needs no review because I read two excellent reviews before I bought it last week. They both gave me insight that this would be a rifle I would love to own. Tom Gaylord in his blog: https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2013...-10-air-rifle/ and John Milewski in Airgun World November of 2017.

What I love to collect are airguns that look and feel like a real firearm. Haenel 28, Tell 3 are examples. The Erma looks and feels just like a Winchester 22 lever action rifle I used to own. As reviewed this rifle is built like a firearm, it would pass for one till you have to load it. I read that Beeman imported less than 100 into the US so they are a rare find. I have only seen one since I started to collect about 4 years ago. Then a couple weeks ago I saw one on a auction site. As I was searching google for information I saw another one for sale at a gun shop. What are the odds! The stocks on these are beech and beech can have a lot of variation in grain patterns. I thought the grain pattern on the one in the gun shop was far superior and would pass for walnut, so I made a bid close to where I thought the auction was headed and they accepted. Just received it and it Chronyed at 625 FPS with Hobbys, about right. Here are pics of mine:

https://imgur.com/gallery/3xdVPTo

I know that the current rage is CO2 firearm copies, but are there any other airguns of firearm quality that mimic the real thing?

Curious what the highest serial number is out there, John’s in Air World was 1442, mines in the 400’s?
    Last edited by 45flint; 26-06-2019 at 06:01 PM.

I think 625fps is exceptionally good as I thought the norm was in the low to medium 400 - 450 fps range. Maybe I read the wrong information sheet. They are very nice rifles.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I think 625fps is exceptionally good as I thought the norm was in the low to medium 400 - 450 fps range. Maybe I read the wrong information sheet. They are very nice rifles.
    Cheers, Phil
    Yes I was happy with 625 as John reported in the 400 but not with Hobbys? Tom reported 400’s till he lubricated the chamber and it went to the mid 600’s. He thought they had leather seals that needed to absorb lube to seal properly? Our two were US imports don’t know if that made a difference? I owned a Winchester lever 22 for years, feel is just amazingly similar, so cool.
    Last edited by 45flint; 26-06-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Superbly crafted guns.

Mine bears the number 1820.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

They are fun aren't they. I got mine a few Kempton's ago, its 1137. Haven't chronoed it yet

Have you thought of military trainers? I don't know if there will be any VZ35s in the states, but if you want firearm quality... The always excellent Tom Gaylord describes one here : https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2015...irgun-trainer/

That was another Kempton score...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    They are fun aren't they. I got mine a few Kempton's ago, its 1137. Haven't chronoed it yet

Have you thought of military trainers? I don't know if there will be any VZ35s in the states, but if you want firearm quality... The always excellent Tom Gaylord describes one here : https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2015...irgun-trainer/

That was another Kempton score...
    Yes I have made a run at a couple VZ35’s but very rare over here and go for more than I was willing to pay. I looked at a Hakim at a Airgun show last month, it was just such a beast! Hard to hold it level lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Yes I have made a run at a couple VZ35’s but very rare over here and usually go for more than I was willing to pay. I looked at a Hakim at a Airgun show last month, it was just such a beast! Hard to hold it level lol.
    Shame you're not in the UK, I somehow wound u with two hakims and need to move one on.

They do weigh a bit, but I guess they had to be strong to stand up to Egyptian squaddies.

Teaser or ......

As you may be aware, the ELG10 was also sold under the Webley brand as the 'Webley Ranger', with the name in tiny letters on the right hand side of the barrel just in front of the rear sight.
    The original .22 rifle on which the ELG10 is based was the EG712.

Curious about output figures quoted here. Ones to hand are German "F" rated. I'm guessing the one in USA may be higher rated with no F if made for their market.
    Is the Webley version F stamped?

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    As you may be aware, the ELG10 was also sold under the Webley brand as the 'Webley Ranger', with the name in tiny letters on the right hand side of the barrel just in front of the rear sight.
    The original .22 rifle on which the ELG10 is based was the EG712.
    I’m surprised that Beeman didn’t add his name as he did with most of the rifles he imported. But he didn’t.

L
    Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Curious about output figures quoted here. Ones to hand are German "F" rated. I'm guessing the one in USA may be higher rated with no F if made for their market.
    Is the Webley version F stamped?
    Mine has the (F). A Hobby at 625 is right at 6 FP which is the German limit. So this speed makes perfect sense?
    Last edited by 45flint; 26-06-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    L

Mine has the (F). A Hobby at 625 is right at 6 FP which is the German limit. So this speed makes perfect sense?
    The German limit is 7.5 joules, which is around 5.5 ft-lbs.

Another pistol that could be mistaken for a firearm and is from the era of better made blued steel air guns is the Acvoke.

Link to a pic if you are not familiar with them,

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/img/adphot...629518_img.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/8x8tg3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    The German limit is 7.5 joules, which is around 5.5 ft-lbs.
    You are right but I saw it at 6 fpe on two websites? Someone can’t do math or you can’t believe everything on the Internet?