Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Erma ELG 10 Winchester Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    You are right but I saw it at 6 fpe on two websites? Someone can’t do math or you can’t believe everything on the Internet?
    Both.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I actually shortened the spring in mine to make it easier to cock.. about 5 FP now, but much, much, more comfortable to shoot.
    Very solidly engineered guns, great quality. 5-6 is about right - it's basically a pistol powerplant - 22mm piston and a pretty short stroke. The std spring is actually a little OTT for the swept volume IMHO.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    I actually shortened the spring in mine to make it easier to cock.. about 5 FP now, but much, much, more comfortable to shoot.
    Very solidly engineered guns, great quality. 5-6 is about right - it's basically a pistol powerplant - 22mm piston and a pretty short stroke. The std spring is actually a little OTT for the swept volume IMHO.
    Given the German limits these are on the hot side? Lol it’s all a matter of perspective. Maybe for export they did kick it up just a little?

Last edited by deejayuu; 27-06-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Elg 10.

Still a sore point with me. I had one of my ELG 10 stolen having left it in my garage for cleaning etc.If it ever turns up the serial number is 1136 one below the chap above. My other one is the Webley ranger stamped version, boxed as new with all its paper work including the green card. Serial number 1207.Very nice
    rifles indeed.Looking back to my teens if i owned one of these i would have been the envy of my neighbourhood .

Fascinating to me that this was Erma’s only Airgun. Hit one out of the park and your never heard from again? Timing is everything, brought it out when power started to be king? As Tom Gaylord said it’s a difficult rifle to appreciate till you get it in your hands. At the time in the US, air rifles of this quality would all be Beeman mail order? Airgunners bought the R1.

Has anyone been inside, do these have leather piston seals as Gaylord suspected?
    Last edited by 45flint; 27-06-2019 at 07:58 PM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Mine was a Webley Ranger stamped model se/no F001219 and it was as accurate as any of my BSAs underlevers. l sold mine as l needed the money.
    they didn't sell well as they were expensive at the time. but great guns.

I had one of these a few years ago but sold it on because I wasn't using it - there are better guns as shooters, although few that look better. If I'd had one of these when I was young, I would have thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

The barrel cleaner in the tube under the barrel is a lovely touch.

Perfect for the cowboy in all of us.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I had one of these a few years ago but sold it on because I wasn't using it - there are better guns as shooters, although few that look better. If I'd had one of these when I was young, I would have thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

The barrel cleaner in the tube under the barrel is a lovely touch.

Perfect for the cowboy in all of us.
    The key to improving accuracy is a Cowboy hat and chaps! I agree the brass barrel cleaner is totally over the top. Makes good use of the cartridge tube with something you will probably never use, what other manufacturer would spend the money to do this?
    Last edited by 45flint; 27-06-2019 at 04:36 PM.

I'm sure there was one for sale on here a few months ago. They don't come up all that often. I've never owned one but I remember a pal had an Erma .22 S/A which was absolutely excellent so I'd have high hopes for the EL-10/ Ranger.

Has anyone been inside, do these have leather piston seals as Gaylord spectated?
    mine was synthetic IIRC
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

For the record in my initial comments I said my rifle was shooting 625 FPS. There must have been some oil burning off because I have in the past week rechecked it and it is shooting a high of 500 FPS with Hobbys. This would be more in line with what others have reported. I know some commented my first figure seemed high and they were right.

For the record in my initial comments I said my rifle was shooting 625 FPS. There must have been some oil burning off because I have in the past week rechecked it and it is shooting a high of 500 FPS with Hobbys. This would be more in line with what others have reported. I know some commented my first figure seemed high and they were right.
    yeup.. lots of spring, and a small compression tube diameter mean they will burn any oil very readily...

One week in discovered the risks of vintage collecting. Suffered what appears to be a catastrophic sear failure? Cocked the gun heard a snap and the bear trapped engaged. Had to manually disengaged the bear trap to release the cocking arm. Absolutely no engagement of the sear now. Yikes.