Thread: FX Radar Chronograph

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    I can see that positioning is critical but I thought that one of the principal benefits of non-optical, at-the-muzzle chronographs was that bad lighting or rough weather couldn't foil your velocity-measuring plans. Is this not so after all?
    There have been days when we were using muzzle velocity radars when atmospheric conditions wiped out the signal by swamping the radar with false returns. What was more worrying was on some occasions the radar would only get three or four data points but would still give a muzzle velocity value based on insufficient data. On the radars we were using we were able to see the amount of data collected, you cannot normally do that on the smaller simple sets available to the public. On one occasion it got so bad that I arranged for the range to buy a chronograph from Welsh Willy to check the figures we were getting.

On the question of accuracy I have often seen errors of +/- 2.5% with occasional errors of +/-5%. Ok if you have some idea what the muzzle velocity should be, not so good if you are checking a modified rifle for legality.

Please do not think I have something specific against the FX radar, I am mearly advising caution and care in their use. The LabRadar is the same with numerous reports from the US of people having problems with them and a large number of videos showing entirely inappropriate positioning by both amateur and professional users.

Anyone managed to use one of these with an underlever rifle - like a HW97??
    All the images I've seen show them attached to the underside of the barrel, would it not work upside down, on top?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Rogan View Post
    Anyone managed to use one of these with an underlever rifle - like a HW97??
    All the images I've seen show them attached to the underside of the barrel, would it not work upside down, on top?
    Should be fine, just completed a review, and used on various rifles, in different positions and all good.
    Useful on co2 and dieseling guns to. Highly recommended.