Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FX Radar Chronograph

That's the rest of my air guns chrono'd and it was a quick and easy job, in fact good fun.

Fortunately nothing overpowered, but one surprise, my new Prosport .22 shooting at just 10 ft lbs with AA Field pellets Still, it's pinpoint accurate and looks lurvley

I discovered that you can't use the chrono too close to the target, you need at least 24" of free air between muzzle and target, otherwise the chrono will not function. I've only used the foot pounds function so far, not sure I really need anything else right now as I'm only concerned with legality.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
    Fortunately nothing overpowered, but one surprise, my new Prosport .22 shooting at just 10 ft lbs with AA Field pellets Still, it's pinpoint accurate and looks lurvley
    try falcon accuracy plus...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Never seen those, I'll look out for them

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Believe it or not FAPs made my old .177 TX200HC go up by 1ft/lb but it preferred Exacts, accuracy wise running at just under 10.5.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 11-07-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Mine arrived today. I've configured it but won't be able to test for a bit. Does anyone know what the two fold-out flaps on one side are for?

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Mine arrived today. I've configured it but won't be able to test for a bit. Does anyone know what the two fold-out flaps on one side are for?
    No idea, I didn't realise they were fold-out flaps until you mentioned it. My guns chrono'd fine without folding out the flaps!

I'd be curious to know if these might work with smallbore or even fullbore rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    I'd be curious to know if these might work with smallbore or even fullbore rifle.
    It only works up to 1300fps.

Cheers,

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Doesn't the unit come with instructions ?

Quote Originally Posted by mjoseph View Post
    It only works up to 1300fps.

Cheers,

Mark.
    Thanks - should be OK for smallbore - not that it is as important to chrono as fullbore, but if you are measuring consistency for competition ammo - it could well be very handy.

A bit of investigation I found out a bit more about this unit. It is not made by FX - they license it (probably exclusively). The author of the app - Jukka Fiskari - has numerous patents to his name in the paintball arena (though curiously did not see a patent for this chrono technology) and he originally designed a paintball chrono called Dr Chrono:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GULATc6cOwo

It had limited FPS (around 600 I think) - not suitable for airguns really - just paintball and perhaps airsoft.

I also found this video comparing FX against a LabRadar - which is most certainly suitable for full-bore - but pricey. It compares favourably within 1fps. Quite incredible.

If it is as good as it appears - I think this chrono is a game changer. If he can work a future model to do up to 3000 or 4000 FPS - he'll decimate the market (assuming he can keep price low). UK price for LabRadar is around £600.

I have a Lab Radar myself which has the advantage of being self contained and providing downrange measurements but if I owned an FX Radar Chronograph I couldn't use it anyway unless someone else was there with a mobile loaded with the app as I don't have one myself. Down range measurements presumably allow establishment of BC and improved down range drop calculation accuracy.

Possibly the FX unit could be extended in features over time but that might then lead to a cost escalation.

Vic Thompson.

They are most certainly different beasts. If you look at the FCC registration info - the LabRadar uses a doppler radar in the 24Ghz range - and it doesn't look like an off-the shelf item either:

Googling the FCC-ID of the FX Unit - it looks like they are using a 12Ghz off-the-shelf part:

https://www.microwave-solutions.com/...s/mdu1720.html

That will certainly keep the cost down. The secret sauce here is undoubtedly the software parsing that microwave data (not the app - that is just a display).

Register Fx chrono

Hi how do you register chrono with name and email its greyed out on mine not a big problem but am i missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
    It's arrived, thanks to the excellent JSR service!

I've downloaded the FX Radar App, setup the chrono and so far I've tested it with two .177 rifles and a .22 pistol. It's very easy to calibrate to gun, calibre and pellet and great to see the results displayed on my iPhone with each shot.

A nice little tripod was included, which unfortunately is broken, but I'll drop JSR a message and I'm sure a replacement will be on its way soon.

First impressions of the FX chrono are very positive and it's so tiny!
    I wouldn't bother getting a replacement FX tripod they are rubbish ...I bought a much better one off for under £6

Quote Originally Posted by chandelierman View Post
    I wouldn't bother getting a replacement FX tripod they are rubbish ...I bought a much better one off for under £6
    I quickly realised that and didn’t bother!