Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original Mod 5

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

Original Mod 5

I just won an Original Mod 5 in an auction. It looks to be from the 1970's/80's, as it has the full size brown plastic grips.
    What's people's experience/opinion on these? Are they an accurate gun?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    I just won an Original Mod 5 in an auction. It looks to be from the 1970's/80's, as it has the full size brown plastic grips.
    They are nice, and accurate.

The big brown plastic grip was discontinued in 1978. Introduced I think in the late 60s.

Original plastic seals turn to cheese, unless subsequently replaced with ones that don’t.

Yes mate, they are. One of my favourite air pistols. I have a couple in 177 and 22 from different periods and the are all equally fab for different reasons, but are all spot on accuracy wise and lovely to shoot 👍
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

harry mac,

Excellent pistols in my opinion

Accurate, with a lovely trigger.

I have a 1948 Mod 5 & a Mod 5G, both in 0.177".

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Mod 5 love

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    harry mac,

Excellent pistols in my opinion

Accurate, with a lovely trigger.

I have a 1948 Mod 5 & a Mod 5G, both in 0.177".

Have fun

Best regards

Russ
    Is your 1948 Mod 5 the design just prior to the one piece plastic stock. Essentially like the plastic but in wood ? That one is a rare beauty. They even made a Mod 6 in that configuration I believe.

Mark,

It is the same as the below, save that mine has a non-tapered barrel, and is 'shooter grade', rather than collector grade

https://www.vintageairgunsgallery.co...646f74d342.jpg

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Lovely pistol to hold and shoot. I have a grey plastic stock on mine. Late 60's

If it's good enough for Patrick McGoohan in The Prisoner, it's good enough for me :-)

http://www.midnightonly.com/wp-conte...oid-Man-07.jpg

Shades of grade

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Mark,

It is the same as the below, save that mine has a non-tapered barrel, and is 'shooter grade', rather than collector grade

https://www.vintageairgunsgallery.co...646f74d342.jpg

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards
    Russ
    So Russ, do you think Diana first had tapered barrels on them then switched to non tapered ? To lower costs maybe ? Mine has a tapered barrel. Thanks ,Mark

Got the Mod 5, and first groups are encouraging. Will it oust the Tempest from my "favourite" spot??
    A new breech seal is on the shopping list though. This one's not "cheese" but it is a bit hard and flat.
    In tiny stamps at the end of the cylinder it's dated "11 73".
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Talking Pistol bits

Got the Mod 5, and first groups are encouraging. Will it oust the Tempest from my "favourite" spot??
    A new breech seal is on the shopping list though. This one's not "cheese" but it is a bit hard and flat.
    In tiny stamps at the end of the cylinder it's dated "11 73".
    Diana did them in grey first for a couple years. Then switched to brown. I have a grey .22 cal. made in 67. I enjoy my Tempest and my Hurricane {better sights and the other 70 plus pistols I have for that matter. Do change that seal. Significant power can be lost there. Enjoy !

These are nice solid classic pistols, I have a gray in .177 which has new seals and mainspring, and I also have a brown one in .22 a neighbor gave me that's apart in pieces right now. I couldn't believe what the seals looked like, cheese is right! The piston seal was fused to the front of the compression chamber from sitting for who knows how long. Getting the piston out and Cleaning that decomposed seal out of the chamber was a tough task. One thing I have found with mine is that it seems to shoot high beyond the sights adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSIII View Post
    These are nice solid classic pistols, I have a gray in .177 which has new seals and mainspring, and I also have a brown one in .22 a neighbor gave me that's apart in pieces right now. I couldn't believe what the seals looked like, cheese is right! The piston seal was fused to the front of the compression chamber from sitting for who knows how long. Getting the piston out and Cleaning that decomposed seal out of the chamber was a tough task. One thing I have found with mine is that it seems to shoot high beyond the sights adjustment.
    Try pumping up the breech seal to lower the shot trajectory. Shims and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Markmelesky View Post
    Try pumping up the breech seal to lower the shot trajectory. Shims and such.
    That's a good tip! I didn't think of that, will give it a try.

Mine also shot high, even with the sight fully depressed, and I did pack the top side of the seal with a thin shim. It's now shooting into the black at 10m and the sight isn't at its lowest setting any more.

Talkin bout my generation

Mine also shot high, even with the sight fully depressed, and I did pack the top side of the seal with a thin shim. It's now shooting into the black at 10m and the sight isn't at its lowest setting any more.
    Hi. There are four generations of the Diana Mod 5. The one you have is from the third generation. The mod 5 is not currently in production. They were first made in 1931. Production stopped about 20 years ago. A pretty long run. It's a classic.

The Mod 6 has been made along with the Mod 5 since the post war 1940's. You should check it out. It uses the Giss dual piston system. Which eliminates the recoil from the shot. It looks almost identical to the Mod 5 but performs Very different. Be well.