Thread: What do we know about Rohm pistols!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What do we know about Rohm pistols ?

When I returned to air pistol shooting just a few years ago, I was surprised to see so many Rohm pistols in use, they had become very popular since my days with the FWB Models 65 and 80 etc
    They looked to be really good for the money and capable of producing some impressive groupings and so many were used until funds allowed the purchase of more expensive and better made types to replace them, but they did a good job in providing a “first target pistol” at an affordable price.

Suddenly they were “no more” and ceased to be available amid various rumours as to why Rohm stopped production.

As far as I know, they were "bought-up" and became part of the Umarex group and so funding was not likely to be the cause, but rumours persisted that sales were being lost to Rohm from a sister budget range. This budget range was Hammerli (previously a very prestigious brand until destroyed by fire whose name is now owned and used by Umerex for what are basically budget Walthers).

Unlike the “stand alone” designs of Rohm, some production could be shared between the budget Hammerli brand and the premier Walther brand products and so cost less to produce and develop.

It is thought by some that the Rohm production was stopped as a rival to Hammerli - even though the Rohm pistols were clearly a lot less expensive and were bought by many that would not have been able to afford to buy a Hammerli - and by those who liked the unique products Rohm had to offer that even now are not available in the Hammerli range - so maybe this is a myth?

Any further insight that may help to identify exactly why this brand either failed or was stopped would be of some interest.
    Last edited by zooma; 04-07-2019 at 04:28 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.