Thread: Webley Mk1 screws please ?

Webley Mk1 screws please ?

Hi A very good friend has passed onto me a Wembley Mk1
    I am in the process of cleaning it up without destroying its originality, unfortunately all the screw heads are badly burred, is it possible to buy a replacement screw set please ?
    Also I’ve got one side of the wood grip off but unable to shift the screw in the other, I’ve left soaking from the side I’ve got off with WD but no movement just more likelihood of burring the screw more, any thoughts please ?

Quote Originally Posted by pr-pdi View Post
    Hi A very good friend has passed onto me a Wembley Mk1
    I am in the process of cleaning it up without destroying its originality, unfortunately all the screw heads are badly burred, is it possible to buy a replacement screw set please ?
    Also I’ve got one side of the wood grip off but unable to shift the screw in the other, I’ve left soaking from the side I’ve got off with WD but no movement just more likelihood of burring the screw more, any thoughts please ?
    Hello,

John Knibbs International will probably have the spares you need, but not cheap.

Chambers also once carried a large range of Webley spares but their website is now showing most as out of stock or no longer available.

If the pistol were in otherwise good condition, you could maybe have bought one in worse cosmetic condition and used it for spares. It's probably not worth spending a fortune restoring the Mk1, but it's always nice to hear of neglected examples being brought back to life.

http://www.airgunspares.com/store/ca...64/465/WEBLEY/

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 11-08-2019 at 11:09 AM.

heat and a few smacks with a pin punch should get the screw moving

replace more than a couple of screws and you will start to stretch beyond viability cost wise, far more fun to clean up the old ones with some small swiss files then cold blue them.

there are still a lot of spares out there in private collections but most collectors keep their dealers boxes to themselves....
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

I do not know the thread size of the screws but you may be able to find replacements from other sources, providing the head shape is the same. Maybe BSF or even BA. I am sure someone on here could provide the details?
    When 'repairing' small screws and bolts, I often heat blue rather than cold blue ... clean screw, heat to a dull red and quench in used engine oil.
    Cheers, Phil

Small screws are quite easy to heat blue - just have to be super clean and polished before doing so.

I find that actually chemically blackening looks best on those guns. Again, very easy - chemicals widely available - and same applies with getting the parts super clean and smooth before starting.

Here's a pic of a Mk 1 where i've just blackened (a) grip screws (which were really badly chewed), (b) sight plate, (c) sight screw and (d) rear piston cover.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/is6fq4s9wi...ning.jpeg?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut92 View Post
    Small screws are quite easy to heat blue - just have to be super clean and polished before doing so.

I find that actually chemically blackening looks best on those guns. Again, very easy - chemicals widely available - and same applies with getting the parts super clean and smooth before starting.

Here's a pic of a Mk 1 where i've just blackened (a) grip screws (which were really badly chewed), (b) sight plate, (c) sight screw and (d) rear piston cover.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/is6fq4s9wi...ning.jpeg?dl=0
    Cheers to all for excellent info much appreciated and very nice job Walnut92, thanks

I haven't been able to find out the grip screw threads for the wood grip Mk.1 from my Webley contact, but he did send me the following:

The slant back thread was 0.150" dia x 36 T.P.I. which was the same as on the revolvers.
    The 1939 junior was 4 BA (0.142" dia x 38 T.P.I.) A 4 BA mild steel screw would screw into the 0.150"x 36 T.P.I. thread over such a short distance.

pr-pdi,

There is some very good footage in the below showing how to repair chewed up screw-heads :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXj_SaE8Z08

Have fun

Best regards

Russ