Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LP with no8 & no19 sights

LP with no8 & no19 sights

Moulded a little block as a perfect fit for the no8. Means just 2 tiny holes in stock. Needed a bit more elevation so thought I’d try this before hacking into the stock. Made from car body filler I then coloured to match the wood a bit.
    Bit unorthodox I know but is stable as a table.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Looking forward to trying it out.

Cheers,
    Matt.
    Last edited by ptdunk; 02-07-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks Matt,

I once owned a pristine Improved Model D with a Greener Orthoptic sight (as their catalogue called it), which was fixed in a similar manner.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VNEKMvKbT2xHMnma7

I think you'll have some great results with this set up.

Kind regards,

John

Cheers John,
    Good to see it’s been tried before.

Kind regards,
    Matt.

I love it. It has the great virtues of hardly interfering with the original stock if one day a new owner wanted to return it to its original shape. Secondly, it doesn't interfere with the pistol grip, which some of the no.8 sight add-ons did, I think from memory, even factory mods.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Nice rifle, I used to have a no 8 rear sight but just the thought of drilling and shaping the stock scared me enough to not do it in the end.

I also have two no19 foresights. Bought them in a box of bits a year ago. But unfortunately I do not have the elements so I cant really use them

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    goign to try that, looks good
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks guys.
    Yes, the idea was to make minimal alterations to the stock, the block is only attached by the 2 screws, but locks on like a little limpet.

I had the no.8 sight sitting around after I couldn’t get a satisfactory setup with it on my straight stock LP.
    When a no.19 sight came up for sale with a ring element I couldn’t resist, so I bought it and a well used but mechanically sound light pattern to make a dedicated diopter rifle, I was fully prepared to get chiselling but thought I’d try this first:

Brown packing tape on the top of the stock and on the underside of the sight plate. Then a dollop of 2part car body filler on top of the tape covered stock and squish the sight down to desired position. Once the filler’s gone off drill the pilot holes through the plate holes, the filler and down into the stock while it’s all stuck together. Then ping off the chunk of filler (it won’t stick to the brown tape) shape the sides of the block of filler remove the tape then screw it all back together.

‘Liberon 3-Part Oak pine Touch up pens’ worked to get a woody finish.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Last edited by ptdunk; 02-07-2019 at 08:41 PM.

Just zeroed this in down the range and it was well worth doing.
    I’ve been shooting vintage open sights and classic 10 metre springer’s this year and this is the best of both worlds.
    Super super accurate rifle now. Looking forward to this months vintage HFT shoot!

😊

Matt

just pick up a L stock on the bay for £13 posted.. obviously it's tatty / cracked, but I'm planning on using it to try my own #8 peep sight mounting - if it works out, I'll do the best I can with the repairs, whilst keeping the original stock safely.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Just zeroed this in down the range and it was well worth doing.
    I’ve been shooting vintage open sights and classic 10 metre springer’s this year and this is the best of both worlds.
    Super super accurate rifle now. Looking forward to this months vintage HFT shoot!

��

Matt
    Hello,

I fitted a No 8 sight to my 1912 Straight Hand Stock BSA Light pattern together with a PH foresight tube. I also needed to remove and blank the standard rear sight dovetail as the original rear sight got in the way of the sight picture. The rifle shoots really well using this set-up, but still shoots a bit high at the lowest possible setting. This isn't a problem as one of the blade elements is quite tall and allows it to sit nicely beneath the aiming point. I tried placing a false, circular aiming point below the actual aiming point to see if the round sight element produced better results. I found the blade foresight easier for me, maybe because it's closer to the standard rear and blade foresight arrangement.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 16-07-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello,

I fitted a No 8 sight to my 1912 Straight Hand Stock BSA Light pattern together with a PH foresight tube. I also needed to remove and blank the standard rear sight dovetail as the original rear sight got in the way of the sight picture. The rifle shoots really well using this set-up, but still shoots a bit high at the lowest possible setting. This isn't a problem as one of the blade elements is quite tall and allows it to sit nicely beneath the aiming point. I tried placing a false, circular aiming point below the actual aiming point to see if the round sight element produced better results. I found the blade foresight easier for me, maybe because it's closer to the standard rear and blade foresight arrangement.

Brian
    Hi Brian,
    Looks like you’ve set it to sit in the web of your hand? That must be comfy.
    I try to shoot thumb up so couldn’t set mine there on my straight stock. Also it bought the sight too high as you said but you’re lucky to have a taller foresight element that works.
    I tried setting it behind my hand as per the BSA catalogue which was good as far as elevation went but interfered with my hold too much so I took it off.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It’s much more comfortable for me now on the pistol grip setup.

I find the ring foresight definitely helps, but maybe only if you’re centring the target within it. I read somewhere the human eye can line up a circle within a circle very accurately. I’ll use it for HFT so that’ll mean placing a 40mm round kill dead centre out to 30yds, then placing it bottom of the foresight ring for 35yds. When I rotate the foresight element to a post it’s much harder to get it centred.
    I bet a bead foresight would centre nicely as they’re round.
    I might make a little blanking plate too, I saw one fitted at Kempton and they are quite pleasing to the eye.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    just pick up a L stock on the bay for £13 posted.. obviously it's tatty / cracked, but I'm planning on using it to try my own #8 peep sight mounting - if it works out, I'll do the best I can with the repairs, whilst keeping the original stock safely.
    £13?? That’s brilliant. Nothing to lose then and if it works you can always tidy it up a bit.
    Let us know how you get on, and thanks for that try of you’re Light Pattern in the first place.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    and thanks for that try of you’re Light Pattern in the first place.

Matt
    you'll be cursing me when your house is full of BSAs

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    you'll be cursing me when your house is full of BSAs
    Maybe for the Webley service 😉
    But I give regular thanks for the Britannia!

Out of interest, here is a picture of the BSA No 8 mounting plate as fitted to a .22 rifle with a suitable straight hand stock. There would be no point in fitting one to my BSA improved Mod D as in use it was necessary to remove the standard rear sight due to interference with the sight picture. Another associated accessory was "The Gibb Headrest" which was supposed to make it more comfortable when the eye was close to the eyepiece of the sight.

Brian