Thread: Revolver cleaning kit.

Revolver cleaning kit.

My FAC has finally arrived after numerous emails as no one answers the phone.
    So on monday I知 off to look at some revolvers at cpg designs👍
    But what I知 looking for is a decent 44 calibre cleaning kit.
    Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Ps. I have a delivery of ball and bullets arriving from Shellhouse Bullets, excellent prices if you buy by the thousands. Sharing the order with 2 other club members👍
    CZ455 American .22LR, Marlin 1894 .357 and 1935 8mm Mauser K98k S42/G (RC), Remy .308 AICS, RPR 6.5 creedmoor, no4 1* LB 1943, NRA RCO

Quote Originally Posted by Paul101 View Post
    So on monday I’m off to look at some revolvers at cpg designs��
    But what I’m looking for is a decent 44 calibre cleaning kit.
    Thank you.

Ps. I have a delivery of ball and bullets arriving from Shellhouse Bullets, excellent prices if you buy by the thousands. Sharing the order with 2 other club members��

A couple of things - make it three -

Let's hope that the other club members have need of the same diameter ball as you. All brands of BP revolver tend to use slightly different diameter ball. Uberti, Pietta, Euroarms and the now-defunct Navy Arms ALL use different diameter ball. If you opt for a Ruger Old Army, that is .457", usually way too big for anything else. Most others like something between .451" and .454". Too small and they either roll out, or fall out on recoil. Too big and you'll stress the loading lever trying to force them into the chamber mouth. The act of loading SHOULD shave off a VERY thin ring of lead as the ball is swaged into the chamber. Take a good set of calipers with you to figure out the right diameter for your new pistol.

Casting costs about 1/20th of buying.

CPG Designs will sort you out with cleaning gear - it's really nothing special - you are cleaning a BP revolver, not an operating theatre. Water, hot water, that is, is the best BP cleaner. And don't use ANY kind of petroleum-based grease on the cylinder pin. If you do it will seize up into a solid crud after a few shots, and be a real b*gger to shift.

You might also be disappointed with using conical bullets rather than ball - most are. And of course, accuracy is better with ball, which is why all competitive shooting is done using ball.

Ah, that was more than three things...

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    All good stuff from Tac there. Just a couple of things to add:

1) I use an ordinary phosphor bronze brush on barrel and chambers. You will note that they have a loop of wire on the end as a product of how they are made. This prevents the brush from reaching the very bottom of the chamber, so try this. Solder a washer on the end as close to the brush itself as possible, then cut the loop off (don't try this the other way round as the wire will spring and let go of all the bristles - don't ask me how I know ).

2) The above helps you to get nearly to the bottom of the chamber. To clean the last bit and the blind end itself take an old electric toothbrush apart and remove the round brush head. Glue it on the end of a stick (I used a suitable size rifle cartridge) so you can twiddle it around at the very end of the chamber. You might need to trim the brush a little to get it to fit the chamber.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    All good stuff from Tac there. Just a couple of things to add:

1) I use an ordinary phosphor bronze brush on barrel and chambers. You will note that they have a loop of wire on the end as a product of how they are made. This prevents the brush from reaching the very bottom of the chamber, so try this. Solder a washer on the end as close to the brush itself as possible, then cut the loop off (don't try this the other way round as the wire will spring and let go of all the bristles - don't ask me how I know ).

2) The above helps you to get nearly to the bottom of the chamber. To clean the last bit and the blind end itself take an old electric toothbrush apart and remove the round brush head. Glue it on the end of a stick (I used a suitable size rifle cartridge) so you can twiddle it around at the very end of the chamber. You might need to trim the brush a little to get it to fit the chamber.
    Good one there about the chamber cleanment brush, Turnup. I forgotted to mention it - I must have converted mine about forty years ago.....

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    A couple of things - make it three -

Let's hope that the other club members have need of the same diameter ball as you. All brands of BP revolver tend to use slightly different diameter ball. Uberti, Pietta, Euroarms and the now-defunct Navy Arms ALL use different diameter ball. If you opt for a Ruger Old Army, that is .457", usually way too big for anything else. Most others like something between .451" and .454". Too small and they either roll out, or fall out on recoil. Too big and you'll stress the loading lever trying to force them into the chamber mouth. The act of loading SHOULD shave off a VERY thin ring of lead as the ball is swaged into the chamber. Take a good set of calipers with you to figure out the right diameter for your new pistol.

Casting costs about 1/20th of buying.

CPG Designs will sort you out with cleaning gear - it's really nothing special - you are cleaning a BP revolver, not an operating theatre. Water, hot water, that is, is the best BP cleaner. And don't use ANY kind of petroleum-based grease on the cylinder pin. If you do it will seize up into a solid crud after a few shots, and be a real b*gger to shift.

You might also be disappointed with using conical bullets rather than ball - most are. And of course, accuracy is better with ball, which is why all competitive shooting is done using ball.

Ah, that was more than three things...
    as tac says.....boiling water from kettle to clean my stainless steel revolver.
    to clean snider / martini i point muzzle downwards into a bucket and i have a portable steam gun which i blast all the crap out with lol

All suggestions noted, especially the brush alteration, great idea.
    The bullets that i ordered were for my marlin lever action, but the balls are 454's as thats are what the other lads use and the only ball size not available in th club shop, so if they are wrong, its a simple sell or swap.
    I do have a near full half litre of Ballistol, a 10% mix to water for cleaning has been suggested.
    Thank you all.
    CZ455 American .22LR, Marlin 1894 .357 and 1935 8mm Mauser K98k S42/G (RC), Remy .308 AICS, RPR 6.5 creedmoor, no4 1* LB 1943, NRA RCO

So on monday I知 off to look at some revolvers at cpg designs👍
    But what I知 looking for is a decent 44 calibre cleaning kit.
    Thank you.

Ps. I have a delivery of ball and bullets arriving from Shellhouse Bullets, excellent prices if you buy by the thousands. Sharing the order with 2 other club members👍
    How did you get on? Buy anything?

Got an appointment with jon at 2pm tues👍

I bought the uberti remington 1858 stainless target for a good price,
    I also got a free cleaning kit, with the 8/32 thread.

One thing i did find out is it do's not like inline primer tools due to nipple pocket sides not be very open, so i used the pencil rubber end.

Looking forward to shooting it more.
    Thank yiu all

I bought the uberti remington 1858 stainless target for a good price,
    I also got a free cleaning kit, with the 8/32 thread.

One thing i did find out is it do's not like inline primer tools due to nipple pocket sides not be very open, so i used the pencil rubber end.

Looking forward to shooting it more.
    Thank yiu all
    only issue with the 1858 is the spent primer can fall off and jam the action.

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    only issue with the 1858 is the spent primer can fall off and jam the action.
    Something I値l have to overcome😞, but its worth it for the fun of shooting a bp revolver☺️