Thread: Rifled, Polygonal, Smooth Bore, Choked or unchoked..... so many options....

Rifled, Polygonal, Smooth Bore, Choked or unchoked..... so many options....

I have an old Titan Manitou that would benefit from a new barrel. I plan on buying a blank and DIYing as I have my own lathe (....lathes....) SO many options! I was originally planning on just ordering a .177 rifled blank of the same specification, but then I started filtering the Lothar Walther catalogue down and I see there are 24 combinations of different options.

The first question is, do I get a rifled barrel, or a polygonal? There is a smooth bore as well but the OD is larger on these, possibly too large but I'd have to check, I could always make a riser for the breech block (or a new breech block) if there is an advantage to be had.

Which leads in to the second question, should I get a thicker barrel for target shooting, there are 9, 10, 12, 14 and 16mm outer diameters - is there any advantage to a thicker or thinner barrel, I can re-machine anything to the required fit.

As for choked/unchoked, I gather the choked barrels are the way forward but again, I don't know, fourth question.....? I'm not a gunsmith but appreciate they have a taper or reduction in the bore at the end, and I thought you weren't supposed to machine the breech end of a barrel down so I guess.... its all 605mm or nothing maybe?

SO... 5th question....... currently my barrel is 19" long, the blanks are closer to 24"..... to trim or not to trim?

I'm not even a novice shooter, I've just grown up with land and used to go out with my mates shooting down the fields, we generally missed a lot more than we hit! I'm going to start visiting my local indoor range as soon as I get a spare hour here or there in the evenings to get shown how to do things properly!

5 questions, one post

I assume bigger and longer is always better but lets just talk about barrels for a minute.
    Last edited by Russ-41; 08-07-2019 at 12:43 PM.