Thread: Reduced .30-06 Loads

Reduced .30-06 Loads

I've just acquired an old Springfield 1903 in .30-06 and I'm keen to get a load going for it.

I'm after a reduced load (just for more comfortable prone shooting), but still using a 168gr jacketed bullet. Ideally using D060 (Accurate 5744) but all the info I've found for this is cast bullets, which I'm not doing.

Does anyone have any data, or recommendations?

Cheers
    Greg

when my partner joined our club she loved my .223 and wanted to try my barky little .308 but it can be a handful at times.
    i made up safe shooting loads with 168gn smk and trailboss which was acceptable....we moved the velocity up a bit more with hogdon h4895 powder which started to push 2000 fps plus
    which was a little too much for her but not for us etc.
    go on their website as h4895 can be used for your purpose.
    its a safe slow burning powder and they is a formula you work out from the max load etc

Ah did IMR4895 survive the ban then? I know H4895 is on the banned powder list. Thanks EU.

Cheers
    Greg

dont use imr 4895 but hodgdon h4895 as they are different.
    not sure if on banned list as i bought a few tubs for that reason and you can still use for full power loads too.
    if banned i am sure it be on the shelves some where.
    in my 30-06 loads i use RS60 but you want to reduce power

30-06

the Lyman cast bullet hand book has 2 pages of loads for 30-06,

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    dont use imr 4895 but hodgdon h4895 as they are different.
    not sure if on banned list as i bought a few tubs for that reason and you can still use for full power loads too.
    if banned i am sure it be on the shelves some where.
    in my 30-06 loads i use RS60 but you want to reduce power
    H4895 is definitely on the list sadly. I've been avoiding using any of the banned powders for load development because I don't really see the point when it's not going to be obtainable for much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    the Lyman cast bullet hand book has 2 pages of loads for 30-06,
    Thanks, I've got the Lyman cast bullet book. So there's no issues using this data to put those loads under a jacketed head of equal weight?

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    H4895 is definitely on the list sadly. I've been avoiding using any of the banned powders for load development because I don't really see the point when it's not going to be obtainable for much longer.

Thanks, I've got the Lyman cast bullet book. So there's no issues using this data to put those loads under a jacketed head of equal weight?

Cheers
    Greg
    Look on internet as many use 2400 powder for speeds around 2000fps plus

Looked on Sierra reloading app on my phone and imr 3031 looks good for reduced loads
    38 gns pushing 168gn smk gives 2100 FPS

Can check on quickload when back from hols etc

couldn't you just use one of the starting loads listed by Viht?

The pressure will be slightly higher and the velocity a bit lower with jacketed but it should be less than maximum for the gun. Don't try very reduced loads (1500fps+ would be fine) or the extra friction may cause the bullet to stop in the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    The pressure will be slightly higher and the velocity a bit lower with jacketed but it should be less than maximum for the gun. Don't try very reduced loads (1500fps+ would be fine) or the extra friction may cause the bullet to stop in the barrel.
    i used trailboss in my .308 for her indoors and worked the speed up gently......at 100 yds i had to move the reticle 80 clicks on a 1/8 moa scope lol
    grouping was around 3 inch but got to around 1 inch when fiddled with.......sounded like a .22 lol

A bit of an update. I loaded up 2 sets of rounds. One set used the midpoint powder charge (point between starting load and max load) of 5744 as listed in the Lyman manual, the second used the midpoint powder charge of N140 listed on the Vihtavuori website.

The 5744 shot like complete turd. The N140 however shot beautifully. Not much noticeable difference in felt recoil and the groups were fantastic.

So, after being convinced a full power load would be a bit too savage in the old girl, truth is it wasn’t. I’ll be continuing loading with N140 I think.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    A bit of an update. I loaded up 2 sets of rounds. One set used the midpoint powder charge (point between starting load and max load) of 5744 as listed in the Lyman manual, the second used the midpoint powder charge of N140 listed on the Vihtavuori website.

The 5744 shot like complete turd. The N140 however shot beautifully. Not much noticeable difference in felt recoil and the groups were fantastic.

So, after being convinced a full power load would be a bit too savage in the old girl, truth is it wasn’t. I’ll be continuing loading with N140 I think.

Cheers
    Greg
    my 1904/39 8mm verguiero shoots full loads with ease......she just sweat oils from her furniture.
    my shoulder will give in before she does

i use 2400 for my down loads for 303,30-06 and in 9.3mm x74r 16 grs up to 23 grs. 19 -20 grs works very well in my.444 for plinking all with cast boolets