Thread: Hammerli AR20 - Secondhand ?

Hammerli AR20 - Secondhand ?

Hi

I am just entering the world of 10m target shooting. I have been using Club guns (but they, understandably, are not set up for individual users) and now looking to source one for myself

These guns are a lot more expensive than sporting rifles I am used to !!!!!

What if any are the pitfalls in buying a second hand Hammerli AR20 (about 5yrs old) do they stand the test of time or are there problems ?

Second hand Target rifles are few and far between, I guess because it is a small market, or is it that people hold on to them for many years ?

Thanks in anticipation

Clive

Hi

The AR20 is a good rifle to start with, as long as it's been looked after there are no real pitfalls, we have a couple in our club that have been passed on over time as shooters develop, I've not yet had to repair one or even know of one that has needed repair, Target shooters tend to be very meticulous with their equipment so finding a good one shouldn't be to difficult.,

other options would be the Walther LG range for a bit more money, I've also shot a Tau Mk300 and found it to be a very good rifle for the money, other than that the PCP range is fairly limited at entry level for "proper" target rifles, There are the Air Arms S200/S400 in target variants but they lack a true match trigger and the adjust-ability or the AR & LG, Others may have options I've not thought of,

atb
    Nige
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Also have a look at later ssp Walther 10m rifles such as LGM1 and LGM2, Feinwerkbau 600 series also shoot well. Pricewise you are looking around £400 to £500.

As much as I like the LGR I’d rate the above rifles as better for 10m as less cocking effort.

These rifles were the top level guns ‘back in the day’ and still shoot very well.

I did a repair on one AR20 Regulator, other than that they are a good starter rifle for Benchrest.
    PURBECK FTC (formally South Dorset FTC) SWEFTA League Champions 2011
    HW100k, Daystate Tsar, BSA Stalker

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Rifle

Clive

My advice is always buy the best that you can afford, the AR2O is a budget rifle, a very good one, but still a budget rifle, once you are settled it is better to buy the best you can afford, , such as a Walther LG300, or FWB P700, Anschutz 800, or Steyr 110, if you can't afford a modernish match rifle, then you are better using the club gun and waiting until you can.

If you are serious, then an older classic, although great fun and a good alternative to a budget rifle, will not cut it, and neither will budget guns such as the AR or the AA range, and you will inevitably end up upgrading at a later date. You are better paying more for an LG 300, P700 or the Steyr 110, although all now have been replaced by updated models they are still competitive at top level, but can be obtained at reasonable prices, but you may have to wait until one comes along.

They do come up on Stirton which is a target only forum.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Hi Robin

Thank you for your reply

I did buy an AR20, one came up at a reasonable price & I wanted to have my own gun to use rather than the variables of Club gun use.

It is providing a good introduction to the sport, however, I am already finding it has limited adjustment, particularly as regards length - none in fact from butt to trigger, in truth it is too short for me. It did come with an after market Gehman butt plate which has some adjustment but not for length.

I will undoubtedly upgrade at some stage, I note you did not mention the FW 800, something that caught my eye !

It appears that target air rifle is a very limited sport in respects of number of people taking part and the availability of retail outlets to visit. I was given a jacket with the AR20 I bought but it seems a little too small. I want to upgrade the jacket but I would like to try (with some advice) before I buy, however, I'm struggling to find somewhere I can travel to try ! - any advice on this would be great.

I have a copy of your book it has been a great help to me.

Thanks again for your response Clive

Not meaning to jump in,

I'm certainly no rifle expert but the NSRA shop at Bisley will have Jackets to try, With regards to the rifle can you not fit spacers behind the butt plate to extend the length, I've made these many times for friends in both alloy and carbon fibre, you can used washers to get the sizing right and them get appropriate length spacers turned up to the correct size. it will never get you the same level of adjustment as an FWB800 but may make the rifle more suitable whilst you source one.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

10 mt

Clive

The 800 is an excellent rifle and would be a good choice, I did not mention that or the Walther LG400 as they are more expensive S/H as they are relatively new, and the LG300 and the P700 can be found at good prices.

If you are going to those levels, I have to admit to being prejudiced, and I do prefer Walthers, and much is personal preferences, but my recommendation is the budget end of the Walther range, I'm very impressed with the Walther LG400 Blacktec Plus, we have two shooters using them, and I do mods to bring them up to equal the best, they are rare S/H, but LG300's are about, and they are a great rifle, and still in regular use at world level.

Length and fit are often a result of poor position, I have had a couple of cases where the shooter and their coach wanted it longer, but when we looked at, and sorted their position, in fact it had to be shorter! The rifle you buy will always be the base to start from, one reason I often recommend the base model in what ever the particular make, then the rest is mods to custom build to the shooter, I spend a lot of time in my workshop, shortening stocks, rarely lengthen, but all is possible!
    The cheapest base butt plate is often the best, I make my own cheek piece, and my own fore end, and that's before I start on balance, weight distribution, and weight, rifles and their fit are very personal.

The NSRA shop is indeed probably the only stockist of off the peg jackets with a reasonable stock, but again Stirton forum is a regular source of good S/H jackets at reasonable prices. Be careful with buying jackets, in getting one suitable, a lot are prone jackets, and will not have the non slip area for the elbow, and can also be old type, not ISSF compliant which means you may get failed at Equipment control if you shoot in a higher event such as the British Championships.

I see you are just down the road to us, and Norfolk County Association will be running our return to our Open County event later this year, it will be run on handicap so every one has a chance, so I hope you will attend, we'll publicise entries on here. I shall be working at the meeting so can give every help that I can.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Last edited by RobinC; 21-09-2019 at 10:12 AM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thanks again Robin for all your help, I will look out for the entry details of the shoot in Norfolk, as you say I am just down the road

Kind Regards Clive