Thread: BSA Meteor Mk2 finish

BSA Meteor Mk2 finish

Yet another Meteor followed me home, as I was missing a mk2 in the collection.
    It seems to have been painted at some time, the finish is more matte than any of my other meteors, all the mk3 to mk5's have a glossy enamel finish.

What finish did the Mk2's have originally? Keep in mind that this is a late mk2 with the 11mm grooves along the cylinder.

my mk2 is the same gloss finish as the mk3-5s
    never been touched,i can vouch for that as the screws are mint and the leather washer is none exsistant

Can you post a picture of it.....

Thanks. That means theres work to do..

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbys View Post
    Can you post a picture of it.....
    I'll try tomorrow.

Thumbs up

Yep, The mk2 was an enamel (I think!) Painted finish, Here's my .177" mk2

Here's a mk1 in .177" that I found, It an early one, Serial is something like N268, It's nickel plated, Not sure if this happened at the factory or aftermarket!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

That mk2 looks really nice!

Rubbing down mine with alcohol reveals intact enamel/gossy finish underneath the matte spray paint (probably acrylic?).
    The enamel shows some hinest wear, but the person who did the "refinish" didnt sand the gun down, so I can probably get it back to its original finish!
    I like my guns showing their age, with their original finish!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    That mk2 looks really nice!

Rubbing down mine with alcohol reveals intact enamel/gossy finish underneath the matte spray paint (probably acrylic?).
    The enamel shows some hinest wear, but the person who did the "refinish" didnt sand the gun down, so I can probably get it back to its original finish!
    I like my guns showing their age, with their original finish!
    Sounds like you was lucky that the person didn't do the job right then and make for a keyed surface to let the new paint grip to!!

I bought mine at the Melbourne vintage airgun fayre, Can't for the life of me remember what I paid for it! (Galloping dementia I think ) It really is in nice condition though!

John

A LOT of alcohol rubbing later, the old Meteor is finally back like it should be.
    The old spring was in very good shape, and the buffer was still intact although somewhat compressed.
    Those old leather seals never cease to amaze me, 60+ years of neglect, and they only need a few drops of oil to be back in use.

I am having trouble understanding how to post pictures on this forum without using a picture hosting page.
    The stock finish on the gun has me thinking... it looks much darker than mots pictures mk2's on the net.
    Original stock finishes on the mk3-4-5's varies a LOT, so there may have been variations in the mk2 finishes as well?

I am having trouble understanding how to post pictures on this forum without using a picture hosting page.
    The stock finish on the gun has me thinking... it looks much darker than mots pictures mk2's on the net.
    Original stock finishes on the mk3-4-5's varies a LOT, so there may have been variations in the mk2 finishes as well?
    EDIT- You can't do it without a hosting site, I think it's to stop viruses being uploaded...

Hi evert

You need a hosting site like imgur to put your pics in to, They provide you with a URL for each pic, You need to copy the URL then click on this icon at the top of the dialogue box and a box will open that says 'Insert image', Paste the URL in the box and click 'ok' then it will add the URL, You won't see the pic until you Preview the post or actually submit it

The 'insert pic' icon..

You could actually click the BBC code button on your imgur pic and simply paste that straight in to your message, No need to click the insert button that as it puts the URL in the image tags

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Sounds like you was lucky that the person didn't do the job right then and make for a keyed surface to let the new paint grip to!!

I bought mine at the Melbourne vintage airgun fayre, Can't for the life of me remember what I paid for it! (Galloping dementia I think ) It really is in nice condition though!

John
    Your old mk2 is stunning! But is that an original mk2 stock, with the original finish?

I'm currently investigating mk2 stock finishes, and if yours is original, that would be something I could try to duplicate.

Thumbs up

Your old mk2 is stunning! But is that an original mk2 stock, with the original finish?

I'm currently investigating mk2 stock finishes, and if yours is original, that would be something I could try to duplicate.
    Hi Evert

I have no idea, It seems to be finished as others are but it seems somewhat red!

I bought it from Chris Hough, The chap that bought all of Hillers stock when he retired!, He told me he went with a luton van and filled it completely top to bottom and front to back!!

I'll dig it out and remove the stock to see if the inletting finish looks like the others I have/had!

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I have no idea, It seems to be finished as others are but it seems somewhat red!

I bought it from Chris Hough, The chap that bought all of Hillers stock when he retired!, He told me he went with a luton van and filled it completely top to bottom and front to back!!

John
    Could it be a more recent mk3 or 4 stock put on a mk2 action?
    I have done som deals with Mr Hough in the past, he helped me out with some hard to get parts.

Hiller was trading before I got seriously into old airguns, but I have seen some of his "catalogs" posted over at the VAG, seems like he was a colorful character

Given production numbers it's no surprise stock finish colours can vary.