Thread: Touch up on a walnut grip

Touch up on a walnut grip

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice on how to touch up a grip. I think the grip had filling paste on it at some point and I have now removed this but want to treat the grip and keep it as a matte finish. Have been researching Tru oil/Tung oil etc but this seems like it requires complete "refinishing" of a stock. I don't want to have to try and sand everything back. Is there something I can apply in small areas to take the dryness away, keep the darker matte walnut finish without turning it into a full grip project?

Regards,
    Rory

Hi, any proprietary oil will remove the dryness, but may leave a patchy overall finish to the grip, that's why they recommend a full sand and finish.....if it's small patches and your happy with that I would try to find out what the original finish was and then try to match to minimise the difference, but if not then Truoil or Danish oil, even walnut oil will work.

Finish

I think you have realised this cant be done. What you are after is a product that we would all love to have.
    It just does not exist! You do not know what the rest of the stock was finished with.
    I would suggest one of the better stock finishing products. Not tru oil "that's shiny" but whatever, without a full refurb the stock is going to be patchy.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Walnut itself is good at this

Get a walnut and rub in to the dry area.

Thank you all for the tips. The pistol grip is not smooth so sanding doesn't appear to be an option. Oh well - will have to try a little oil or a walnut if I can find one...

Regards,
    Rory

When I was fettling my Steyr grip I used dark beeswax furniture polish (actual beeswax NOT aerosol and available in most big supermarkets). I applied several light coats on the areas I had worked until the colour was right, then gave everything a wipe over. I am very pleased with the result.

Atb
    Chris
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..

Tru oil and tung oil have hardners in them and dry more like a varnish... they can be knocked back with wire wool for a satin finish, but you really need to know the original finish before applying anything.
    What pistol is it you have?
    If its a qualoty target pistol, id guess its walnut grips with an oil finish in which case , id get some ccl or other quality gunstock finishing oil, knock back the entire grips with 1000 grit and apply in a couple of coats. That should give you an even colour.
    Good luck, and let us know how you get on...
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Tru oil and tung oil have hardners in them and dry more like a varnish... they can be knocked back with wire wool for a satin finish, but you really need to know the original finish before applying anything.
    What pistol is it you have?
    If its a qualoty target pistol, id guess its walnut grips with an oil finish in which case , id get some ccl or other quality gunstock finishing oil, knock back the entire grips with 1000 grit and apply in a couple of coats. That should give you an even colour.
    Good luck, and let us know how you get on...
    I use a wipe on poly finish. Minwax rub on poly. Works good as a touch up. Satin finish.

Ive seen that on youtube.. guy called cyclops refinishes a diana 75 with it, looks the mutts nutts!! Expensive though. I remember a thread somewhere where old woodworkers were saying wipe on finishes have been around for years before they finally marketed it. I might have a pop at making some.
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Markmelesky View Post
    I use a wipe on poly finish. Minwax rub on poly. Works good as a touch up. Satin finish.
    Where do you get your Minwax from please??
    From the places I use it seem very expensive....

great tips - thank you. The grip is on an Aeron B96.