Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: just upgraded my leather HW35 to synthetic...

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    What is the weight of the factory synth piston ? I reckon I probably only saved 10g max over std leather.

Here you go, Jon.

Here's the three strokes and weights of the three setups :-

Factory Synthetic sealed piston --------------------------------------- 69mm stroke - piston weight 264g

Factory Leather sealed piston ----------------------------------------- 65mm stroke - piston weight 294g

Leather sealed piston adapted via steel adaptor to synthetic ------- 61mm stroke - piston weight 321g

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Here you go, Jon.

Factory Synthetic sealed piston --------------------------------------- 69mm stroke - piston weight 264g

Factory Leather sealed piston ----------------------------------------- 65mm stroke - piston weight 294g

Leather sealed piston adapted via steel adaptor to synthetic ------- 61mm stroke - piston weight 321g
    Thanks for sharing. Very handy. J

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    cheers Mick, sounds like another reason to just buy a factor synth piston and be done with it.. 30g will be noticeable.

the steel conversion head looks like an absolutely horrible option...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

This is the piston I made for my last 35, Jon :-

image.jpg

Even that could lose a little more weight, but it works.

Here you go, Jon.

Brilliant information, Mick.

I remembered you had posted this before and that the weight saving was significant but couldn't remember exactly. Be great to have this info in the thread in Useful Information.

And I really must get one sorted for my old nail......that extra 8mm of stroke and 57g weight saving should make a huge difference.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    ...that extra 8mm of stroke and 57g weight saving should make a huge difference.
    you only get an extra 4-5mm tone, unless you are using the nasty head conversion as a baseline
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I have long been sceptical of these conversions. This thread has changed my mind. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I have long been sceptical of these conversions. This thread has changed my mind. Thank you.
    You are most welcome to pop down to our club in New Malden one weekend morning and have a quick play mate... I was surprised at the improvement too.

(come via the A3, take the opportunity to get all those cylinders moving )

you only get an extra 4-5mm tone, unless you are using the nasty head conversion as a baseline
    I am, Jon.

When I first acquired the gun and stripped it, the original leather seal was well and truly goosed. I tried to get another leather one but everyone was telling me they weren't available. Then I rang Knibbs. Apparently in stock. Ordered by phone and it arrived......a leather to synthetic conversion.

Must admit, if I had far fewer guns I'd have done more work on it since its build (08/09), but it shoots very sweetly and I only use it for short range open sight garden duty. But I will be treating it to a later piston methinks.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

hah - then you will notice a huge improvement. Got a std leather head & seal here if you want it - let us know.

hah - then you will notice a huge improvement. Got a std leather head & seal here if you want it - let us know.
    Hi Jon,

Thank you for that most kind gesture.

However, it'd only be right to graciously decline your offer and see if it would be of use to someone in need. A few years ago I was considering going back to leather and nothing seemed to be out there. But then Dave, WonkyDonky, kindly gave me one out of his stash when I bought a 99 spring and guide kit from him. Then, a couple of years ago, I saw that Protek had some in so bought one of those, also. So I now have a couple for if I wish to try going back to leather (which might be a nice solution anyway with the larger TP) and, as they last for ages, will keep me going.

Still more than tempted to go for that newer, lighter, longer stroke piston, though!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

Still more than tempted to go for that newer, lighter, longer stroke piston, though!
    There's one here with your name on it, Tone.

and sleeve down your port

There's one here with your name on it, Tone.
    Blimey!

Cheers Uncle Michael. We can sort the price and I'll collect at the next Bash if that's okay? Pretty sure 'er indoors will make sure that tinkering time is limited for the time being. But once I have the piston in my hands, well, it'd be rude not to.

Cheers,

Tone.

and sleeve down your port
    Understood. But thinking I might try without in the short term and see how it feels, with the longer stroke increasing the SCR and lighter piston maybe reducing the tendency to feel "slammy"?