Thread: Umarex Walther PPK/S and Smart Shot / Accu BB?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Umarex Walther PPK/S and Smart Shot / Accu BB?

Hi folks,

Not quite so knowledgeable on the CO2 pistol front, especially the BB firers.

But, I have here my PPK/S which the missus bought me a few years ago. Love the little thing and would never sell.

BUT........I don't have a suitable garden for a "tin can alley" sort of range and can only shoot at paper, so it's been sitting about unused. I'm in the process of constructing a cardboard box target holder, with some carpet tiles at the back and then I'm thinking some "layers" of cardboard with gaps between the sheets to, hopefully, kill any possibility of those nasty little steel BBs coming back!

Now, with these smoothbore BB ones, I'm guessing that the Webley Accu BB and the H&H Smart Shot can be used with no feeding issues? Many of you chaps use them? I appreciate the Gamo lead balls are NOT suitable as they're 4.5mm, so too large, and might also deform.

If using the copper coated lead BBs, how do they behave on the ricochet front when used against hard surfaces? Guessing shooting into a steel pellet trap would be a big "no no"?

Cheers in advance.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Hello
    I`ve tried using the accu copper coated lead bb`s and there also slightly larger,and in several of my bb pistols,the pistol stops as if the mag is empty but isnt! especially with the ppks and the 1911 bb pistols,i use umarex or h&k steel bbs.
    Carpet/carpet tiles are the best for stopping a bounce back,or if you were to use the copper bbs a steel pellet catcher should deform them enough to stop them coming back!!
    Hope this makes sense and helps..

No-one used or have any comments on the copper coated lead BB then?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Yes i left a reply days ago,but its not been shown for some reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use copper coated lead BB almost exclusively. The risk of ricochets is certainly reduced but as with lead pellets, not eliminated entirely. You could also try the new frangible Dust Devils (I get mine from Protek in Bognor) as they are designed to shatter upon impact.

John

Hi John,

Thank you for that. So, would you say that the ricochet risk with the copper coated lead ones is actually as low as many lead pellets on average, then? If so, that's a massive, massive reduction and opens up many new possibilities.

I have read about the Dust Devils; I'm just not really sure ifI fancy giving them a try or not.

Thanks again, sir, I'll look into getting some of the Smart Shots ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hi John,

Thank you for that. So, would you say that the ricochet risk with the copper coated lead ones is actually as low as many lead pellets on average, then? If so, that's a massive, massive reduction and opens up many new possibilities.

I have read about the Dust Devils; I'm just not really sure ifI fancy giving them a try or not.

Thanks again, sir, I'll look into getting some of the Smart Shots ordered.
    Hi Tony,

the lead is covered with a light layer of copper and the balls will deform on impact, even with fairly low powered arms. I have no reservations in recommending it for indoor use, as opposed to steel BBs, which I won't recommend for any kind of use due to their tendency to ricochet. The copper coating helps to stop the balls from deforming whilst in the magazine of a blowback or even non blowback pistol, whilst each shot is fired.

Kind regards,

John

The Dust Devils do not do what it says on the pack!
    They also don't work in some guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Tony,

the lead is covered with a light layer of copper and the balls will deform on impact, even with fairly low powered arms. I have no reservations in recommending it for indoor use, as opposed to steel BBs, which I won't recommend for any kind of use due to their tendency to ricochet. The copper coating helps to stop the balls from deforming whilst in the magazine of a blowback or even non blowback pistol, whilst each shot is fired.

Kind regards,

John
    Hi John,

Thank you for confirming what I thought and hoped would be the case. I'll get some ordered and get that PPK put to use.

Really enjoying the series of articles on the Mak', sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Tony,

Kind regards,

John
    Yay!

They do, most definitely, do "what they say on the tin" and as John says.

I picked up a tin of the AccuBB a today and had a most pleasurable two hour plink with the little PPK. Something I've not been able to do since buying it, really, due to lack of space and suitable backstop for the steel BBs.

I was using my steel pellet trap at 6 yards. For the first couple of mags, I taped cereal carton across the face of my pellet trap to stop any rebounds. I then inspected the BBs and, although not flattened like pancakes or splattered, they had certainly flattened off on the impact side. This then gave me the confidence to remove the card "screens" for the rest of the session.

And, as John says, I'd have no reservations whatsoever in using them indoors.

So, thank you once again John and Patrick and thank you to H&N and Webley for making these available, allowing me to finally get to use the little blowback plinker.

Incidentally, towards the back of the session and taking the time for more deliberate shooting, although the light was fading I was able to get one and a half inch groups. I know this is missing the main point of these short range manglers, but was pleasing nonetheless.

I think we're in for some fun over the Summer!