Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Umarex Walther PPK/S and Smart Shot / Accu BB?

Umarex Walther PPK/S and Smart Shot / Accu BB?

Hi folks,

Not quite so knowledgeable on the CO2 pistol front, especially the BB firers.

But, I have here my PPK/S which the missus bought me a few years ago. Love the little thing and would never sell.

BUT........I don't have a suitable garden for a "tin can alley" sort of range and can only shoot at paper, so it's been sitting about unused. I'm in the process of constructing a cardboard box target holder, with some carpet tiles at the back and then I'm thinking some "layers" of cardboard with gaps between the sheets to, hopefully, kill any possibility of those nasty little steel BBs coming back!

Now, with these smoothbore BB ones, I'm guessing that the Webley Accu BB and the H&H Smart Shot can be used with no feeding issues? Many of you chaps use them? I appreciate the Gamo lead balls are NOT suitable as they're 4.5mm, so too large, and might also deform.

If using the copper coated lead BBs, how do they behave on the ricochet front when used against hard surfaces? Guessing shooting into a steel pellet trap would be a big "no no"?

Cheers in advance.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hello
    I`ve tried using the accu copper coated lead bb`s and there also slightly larger,and in several of my bb pistols,the pistol stops as if the mag is empty but isnt! especially with the ppks and the 1911 bb pistols,i use umarex or h&k steel bbs.
    Carpet/carpet tiles are the best for stopping a bounce back,or if you were to use the copper bbs a steel pellet catcher should deform them enough to stop them coming back!!
    Hope this makes sense and helps..

No-one used or have any comments on the copper coated lead BB then?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Yes i left a reply days ago,but its not been shown for some reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use copper coated lead BB almost exclusively. The risk of ricochets is certainly reduced but as with lead pellets, not eliminated entirely. You could also try the new frangible Dust Devils (I get mine from Protek in Bognor) as they are designed to shatter upon impact.

John

Hi John,

Thank you for that. So, would you say that the ricochet risk with the copper coated lead ones is actually as low as many lead pellets on average, then? If so, that's a massive, massive reduction and opens up many new possibilities.

I have read about the Dust Devils; I'm just not really sure ifI fancy giving them a try or not.

Thanks again, sir, I'll look into getting some of the Smart Shots ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hi John,

Thank you for that. So, would you say that the ricochet risk with the copper coated lead ones is actually as low as many lead pellets on average, then? If so, that's a massive, massive reduction and opens up many new possibilities.

I have read about the Dust Devils; I'm just not really sure ifI fancy giving them a try or not.

Thanks again, sir, I'll look into getting some of the Smart Shots ordered.
    Hi Tony,

the lead is covered with a light layer of copper and the balls will deform on impact, even with fairly low powered arms. I have no reservations in recommending it for indoor use, as opposed to steel BBs, which I won't recommend for any kind of use due to their tendency to ricochet. The copper coating helps to stop the balls from deforming whilst in the magazine of a blowback or even non blowback pistol, whilst each shot is fired.

Kind regards,

John

The Dust Devils do not do what it says on the pack!
    They also don't work in some guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Tony,

the lead is covered with a light layer of copper and the balls will deform on impact, even with fairly low powered arms. I have no reservations in recommending it for indoor use, as opposed to steel BBs, which I won't recommend for any kind of use due to their tendency to ricochet. The copper coating helps to stop the balls from deforming whilst in the magazine of a blowback or even non blowback pistol, whilst each shot is fired.

Kind regards,

John
    Hi John,

Thank you for confirming what I thought and hoped would be the case. I'll get some ordered and get that PPK put to use.

Really enjoying the series of articles on the Mak', sir.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    The Dust Devils do not do what it says on the pack!
    They also don't work in some guns.
    Cheers for the input. I wasn't thinking of trying them anyway; even less so now.

Hi John,

Thank you for confirming what I thought and hoped would be the case. I'll get some ordered and get that PPK put to use.

Really enjoying the series of articles on the Mak', sir.
    Thanks Tony,

I know Patrick disagrees but I've found the Dust Devils do what they say on the box and turn to dust upon impact. Granted they may not work in every gun but the same is also true of Excite coated lead and Gamo lead ball too. The DDs are less accurate though and my choice would also be copper coated lead.

Kind regards,

John

Hi John,

Again, thank you for your valued input.

Although not tempted to try the DDs anyway, out of interest, what is the issue with using them in some guns? Magazine or accuracy issues? Guessing the former?

Hi John,

Again, thank you for your valued input.

Although not tempted to try the DDs anyway, out of interest, what is the issue with using them in some guns? Magazine or accuracy issues? Guessing the former?
    Mainly accuracy issues. They shoot very well out of my MP40 and Hellboy M4 lookalike but fail to group in Makarovs. I also have a KWC PO8 that hates just about everything except the dreaded steel BBs. It just about works with Excites but will often jam. Interesting to note the DDs tend to prefer longer barrels in my experience.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Mainly accuracy issues. They shoot very well out of my MP40 and Hellboy M4 lookalike but fail to group in Makarovs. I also have a KWC PO8 that hates just about everything except the dreaded steel BBs. It just about works with Excites but will often jam. Interesting to note the DDs tend to prefer longer barrels in my experience.

Kind regards,

John
    Interesting -I was told they jammed an MP 40.

I shot them in a Peacemaker at our range at various surfaces.
    After showering self and mate with fast flying fragments and whole DDs I decided not to continue!

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Interesting -I was told they jammed an MP 40.

I shot them in a Peacemaker at our range at various surfaces.
    After showering self and mate with fast flying fragments and whole DDs I decided not to continue!
    I remember you telling me that Patrick. My MP40 can be somewhat projectile fussy but it seems to like DDs, as does the Hellboy. Haven't tried them in the Tokarev yet.

Kind regards,

John