Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Umarex Walther PPK/S and Smart Shot / Accu BB?

The hot weather suits the MP 40

I might be in the vicinity of NM Products with any luck tomorrow.

And they stock the Webley AccuBB.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Tony,

the lead is covered with a light layer of copper and the balls will deform on impact, even with fairly low powered arms. I have no reservations in recommending it for indoor use, as opposed to steel BBs, which I won't recommend for any kind of use due to their tendency to ricochet. The copper coating helps to stop the balls from deforming whilst in the magazine of a blowback or even non blowback pistol, whilst each shot is fired.

Kind regards,

John
    Yay!

They do, most definitely, do "what they say on the tin" and as John says.

I picked up a tin of the AccuBB a today and had a most pleasurable two hour plink with the little PPK. Something I've not been able to do since buying it, really, due to lack of space and suitable backstop for the steel BBs.

I was using my steel pellet trap at 6 yards. For the first couple of mags, I taped cereal carton across the face of my pellet trap to stop any rebounds. I then inspected the BBs and, although not flattened like pancakes or splattered, they had certainly flattened off on the impact side. This then gave me the confidence to remove the card "screens" for the rest of the session.

And, as John says, I'd have no reservations whatsoever in using them indoors.

So, thank you once again John and Patrick and thank you to H&N and Webley for making these available, allowing me to finally get to use the little blowback plinker.

Incidentally, towards the back of the session and taking the time for more deliberate shooting, although the light was fading I was able to get one and a half inch groups. I know this is missing the main point of these short range manglers, but was pleasing nonetheless.

I think we're in for some fun over the Summer!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yay!

They do, most definitely, do "what they say on the tin" and as John says.

I picked up a tin of the AccuBB a today and had a most pleasurable two hour plink with the little PPK. Something I've not been able to do since buying it, really, due to lack of space and suitable backstop for the steel BBs.

I was using my steel pellet trap at 6 yards. For the first couple of mags, I taped cereal carton across the face of my pellet trap to stop any rebounds. I then inspected the BBs and, although not flattened like pancakes or splattered, they had certainly flattened off on the impact side. This then gave me the confidence to remove the card "screens" for the rest of the session.

And, as John says, I'd have no reservations whatsoever in using them indoors.

So, thank you once again John and Patrick and thank you to H&N and Webley for making these available, allowing me to finally get to use the little blowback plinker.

Incidentally, towards the back of the session and taking the time for more deliberate shooting, although the light was fading I was able to get one and a half inch groups. I know this is missing the main point of these short range manglers, but was pleasing nonetheless.

I think we're in for some fun over the Summer!
    I'm pleased you've enjoyed such good results with the copper coated lead. That PPK/S sounds like quite an accurate little pistol too.

Kind regards,

John

That last, smaller group was at 6 yards, John and I was pausing for about 30 seconds between shots, letting the pistol drop and taking a few deep breaths. Only 5 shots, too; I'm sure it would have opened considerably with more shots fired.

When I was first using it yesterday I hadn't shot it for a few years and was getting used to the sight picture and the trigger pull. Some groups were more like 3 inches. One of the groups shot mid session measured only about 3/4" vertically but about 2 1/2 horizontally.

What was noticeable was that impact point with a fresh cartridge was about 2" over point of aim, settling down after about 7-10 shots.

On that last, smaller group, I was really concentrating on the trigger and follow through.

And I might have to highlight the foresight blade. Undecided right now, as the light was fading and I was shooting down a dim passageway, it might be easier in bright conditions.

But really pleased that I can now, at long last, get some use out of it.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    That last, smaller group was at 6 yards, John and I was pausing for about 30 seconds between shots, letting the pistol drop and taking a few deep breaths. Only 5 shots, too; I'm sure it would have opened considerably with more shots fired.

When I was first using it yesterday I hadn't shot it for a few years and was getting used to the sight picture and the trigger pull. Some groups were more like 3 inches. One of the groups shot mid session measured only about 3/4" vertically but about 2 1/2 horizontally.

What was noticeable was that impact point with a fresh cartridge was about 2" over point of aim, settling down after about 7-10 shots.

On that last, smaller group, I was really concentrating on the trigger and follow through.

And I might have to highlight the foresight blade. Undecided right now, as the light was fading and I was shooting down a dim passageway, it might be easier in bright conditions.

But really pleased that I can now, at long last, get some use out of it.

Thanks again.
    Now you have me thinking about the PPK/S Tony! The first dedicated blowback CO2 air pistol in 4.4mm IIRC,

See what you've done?

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Now you have me thinking about the PPK/S Tony! The first dedicated blowback CO2 air pistol in 4.4mm IIRC,

See what you've done?

Kind regards,

John
    Sorry, John.

It will make a fantastic write-up in the magazine also though, sir.

Early models were exciting but wildly inaccurate.
    Maybe time to look at the latest models.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Early models were exciting but wildly inaccurate.
    Maybe time to look at the latest models.
    That's my recollection too. I fondly remember a club member appearing with one and kindly letting me have a go. I recall the gentle kick of the blowback action and balls spraying everywhere down range, which was only some 6 yards away. I was impressed with the ability of the pistol to be field stripped and of course the mild blowback but the lack of accuracy put me off, as did the oversize grips. It wasn't until later that I realised the pistol was based on an American 'variant' of the Walther PPK that had to have the larger PP grips in order to comply with some daft import legislation as the PPK's were determined to be too small and the pistol overtly dangerous on the basis of its small concealable size. They probably didn't realise that gang members have no trouble concealing larger pistols in order to shoot each other far more effectively!

It may be that my friend did not have any copper coated lead and we used steel - I can't quite recall.

Kind regards,

John