Thread: Dillon 550b

Dillon 550b

sorry if this has been posted before. I'm looking at a Dillon 550 was wondering if anyone has any experience with one. Cheers

I look at one most days too. It's the blue one next to my 650.

A bit more info and we may be able to help you
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Should have said I'm undecided on buying a the 550 and was looking for other people's opinions on that particular machine. Thanks.

Ask Dec
    =================================

Thumbs up

I reload 223 on a 550b, lovely bit of kit, priming feed seems to work well too.

The 550 is a great machine for modest large quantity runs of pistol and rifle rounds.

I have loaded 223 on one but that now moved to the 650, the 550 does my 308-based cartridges, 243, 360, 308, saves having to alter too much come cartridge change time.

The model number is the approximate number of pistol rounds you can load in an hour and I don't doubt it, however I can load 3-400 .223 on the 550 in an hour (using sized and primed brass). The biggest issue on the Dillons is the powder measure, sometimes the powder will bridge and not load into the case, this can be overcome with some polishing and doesn't happen with all powders.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

I have been using a 550b for a few years having bought one second hand.

Only using for pistol calibres at the moment (.38/.357 and .45LC) although I maybe see a .223 in my future.

I have been reloading with Lee progressive equipment for over 30 years and although I never really had any problems and must have loaded 10's of thousands of rounds the Dillon is in a different class as is its price.

The Dillon is much smoother and easier to operate and there are less of the occasional glitches you get with a Lee.

The quality of ammo if you use the Dillon dies also seems to be a bit better (not necessarily more accurate just more consistent) and the powder measure is so much easier to set than the Lee and with all the powders I am using very consistent.

If you need anything Dillon themselves are very helpful and although with the current dollar / pound prices are not that much cheaper I have ordered loads of bits direct with no problems and considering its coming from the states very quick delivery.

Also I would thoroughly recommend looking at UniqueTek's website (http://www.uniquetek.com) for additional goodies, I am using there micrometer powder bar upgrade and a few other bits and it has made the press even better.

If you have any specific questions by all means ask me and I will do my best to answer them.

Regards

David
    Dave
    Ruger 10/22, PH .308 HB Varminter, .45 Marlin CBL, CZ 452 .22, RPR 6.5CM,
    Taurus .357 LBR, BSA SMLE No1 Mk3*, Euroarms Remington 1858

Had the same two Dillon’s for nearly 30 years. Don’t load rifle calibers on them. And Dillon still stands by their machines and sent me some replacement parts at the end of last year. Great kit.