Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this the future of Airguns???

Mr Scott on Star Trek - “I canna change the laws of physics!”

It's a low powered airsoft gun firing plastic 6mm bbs, not an airgun.

Airsoft is about hitting man sized targets and so a dustbin at 100m is not inappropriate. Hitting it with a plastic bb takes some skill.

Airsoft is about simulating combat.

Airsoft guns are usually classed as toys.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    The whole point is , this guy is developing a system that fires round shot at 100 metres, with only 2 joules of energy. And it's a heavy 8mm round. Pretty impressive I thought. Scale that down to , say 2.5 mm using 12 ft/lbs energy....
    A 2.5mm ball would be about the size of a single No 6 shot in a shotgun cartridge, useless, pointless, there is a reason why airguns use Diablo waisted pellets and why firearms moved from firing ball to Minie ball and kept on developing from there.

Will this technology be transferable to peĺlet guns ???
    No.

hth.

R30Jeff is offline Not Smarter Than The Average Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

Airsoft guns are usually classed as toys.
    No they are not.
    Toys firing rigid projectiles are limited to either 0.08 joules or 2500 j/m2

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I think there’s confusion because the ball is being hurled by something that looks like but isn’t a rifle. A modern catapult could probably do the same job with considerably more force but no one would suggest that a catty is the ‘future’ of air guns.

Quote Originally Posted by R30Jeff View Post
    No they are not.
    Toys firing rigid projectiles are limited to either 0.08 joules or 2500 j/m2
    In the UK the limit is 2.5 Joules.
    Downloadable doc here:
    https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugi...load.php?id=53

1.3 joules rapid fire, 2.5 joules single shot.

Either way they're still toys for the purpose of a discussion regarding the future of airguns.
    Plastic firing non-lethal plastic.

The guy in the video ( for those of you who have actually watched it) is using a heavy 8mm ball which is a combination of plastic and metal for extra weight.( as allowed by the legal definition of "airsoft") hardly a toy. And his experimental rifle uses the "hop up" type system to impart adjustable back spin in order to maintain a flat trajectory.
    Last edited by countryboy; 18-07-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Haven't you seen the Youtube video where the guy accidentally kills someone on the other side of a garage door with a Nerf gun?

Quote Originally Posted by distantcamera View Post
    Haven't you seen the Youtube video where the guy accidentally kills someone on the other side of a garage door with a Nerf gun?
    Of course, there are some people on here , who seem to think we are talking about lethal weapons. What I feel is a bit more relevant is that this guy's experimentation may well be transferable to other types of Airguns. Only instead of using a .25 pellet ( for example) a .25 ball ammo could be used achieving long ranges at very low power. What is the problem ????

Of course, there are some people on here , who seem to think we are talking about lethal weapons. What I feel is a bit more relevant is that this guy's experimentation may well be transferable to other types of Airguns. Only instead of using a .25 pellet ( for example) a .25 ball ammo could be used achieving long ranges at very low power. What is the problem ????
    Because, unless he has discovered a huge loophole in the laws of physics, he is simply lobbing a ball at very low velocity with a bit of backspin.
    Great if you know that every target is at precisely 100m with no cross wind, but otherwise he's re-inventing a wheel that passed down the road a couple of hundred years ago....

Quote Originally Posted by pothunter View Post
    Because, unless he has discovered a huge loophole in the laws of physics, he is simply lobbing a ball at very low velocity with a bit of backspin.
    Great if you know that every target is at precisely 100m with no cross wind, but otherwise he's re-inventing a wheel that passed down the road a couple of hundred years ago....
    You could use any range you like. At any given power level , at any given distance it would be a known aim point.( the laws of physics). At ranges of 30 to 35 yds the results could be quite impressive. Using variable back spin( as is current with pure lightweight plastic airsoft shot. I am sure the laws of physics could be applied to the design of the ammo as well.

Remember , they used to say that space travel, electric just about everything, and mobile phones , we're pure fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by pothunter View Post
    I dont think they had a hop up system 100 years ago.

I totally get what Countryboy is saying and id like to see more experimentation with these. Theres no reason to not experiment with heavier ball and different hop up designs and materials. I mean we had sabos, nato bullets and Prometheus which divided shooters. (Not to mention dustbins) I used to airsoft and found some guns surprisingly accurate but at longer ranges the light balls were really floaty with the back spin.
    In our pellet guns we use rifling to aid accuracy and consistency, in airsoft the back spin aids accuracy and distance. There could be something there... I'm glad someone is still messing about with stuff..

Just had a thought, tiny little lead golf balls!
    Donald

R30Jeff is offline Not Smarter Than The Average Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Solvo View Post
    In the UK the limit is 2.5 Joules.
    Downloadable doc here:
    https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugi...load.php?id=53

1.3 joules rapid fire, 2.5 joules single shot.

Either way they're still toys for the purpose of a discussion regarding the future of airguns.
    Plastic firing non-lethal plastic.
    For the purposes of discussion maybe, but to the letter of the law toys within the EU are limited as per my previous post, of course there are rare exceptions where an EC Type examination can be applied for if you wanted to market a toy with a higher energy, but they're expensive and proving they are safe can be tricky, and you also need to be sure they don't fall foul of being RIF's.