Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Airmasters Mastersport FTS/Vmach

Airmasters

If you require more info? Type in Airmasters or Venom depending on the one you require, in to the search box and you should get alot of info on threads Rustybuzz and myself have done on these great tuning companies. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Sorry if I sound a bit ingenuous but its not as if there was standardisation across the custom houses. The Top Hats, Laserglides, and piston customising, was only just coming online. Each custom house had their own way.
    I'm sure you were getting the results and adding magic to the factory fodder. Whatever was going on in each custom house was quite secret. I suppose to protect the sales angle. Commercial numbers kept in house too.
    Nothing wrong with that. What customers were buying were a mishmash too. Basic, stage 1,2,3, all kinds of work going on.

By the recent reports of rifles that have been opened up to see what was done its all so varied. No one can say exactly whats was done without looking and a good few it seems are a lot less than expected or first thought. Reports seem just so varied.
    Was the first FTS the same as the last? 75-100 over a few years is not heaps. I don't know.
    To add to the confusion owners played and switched parts about too.

Any light on what was really done, and when improvements kicked in, would enlighten us all. Frankly for the collector its all a bit buying blind.
    What should a collector look out for?

Absolutely I am no espert. I'm more: if it shoots well its fine. Nice if a few who do have more info shared some of their findings. I think it would interest a lot of people as its part of airgun history. Maybe I just haven't been payed enough attention and all the info is out there?
    Now that is a question.

Our business was created by our success at Field Target. We wanted to win, pure and simple.

We had a 50’s Bedford coach that my Father and Dave had converted into a caravan and we used to travel the country competing at FT. Travelling with all us Welhams was National Champion Terry Wheeler, John Ford of Sportsmatch fame and his son Matthew, Mark Hicks, Roger Cameron and a few others. They were great days for a young airgun enthusiast. All that airgun talent in one place, discussing new ideas, their latest modifications, what works - what doesn’t. We all learnt so much in a very short time.

Our success led to people asking us to work on their rifles. Our philosophy was simple - accuracy is all that matters. Back then we didn’t give a hoot about aesthetics, recoil, noise, vibration so long as the result produced an edge that won competitions. Terry Wheeler's 45 was ridiculously noisy but by god was it accurate. Our super successful Mastersport is also a gun with a certain ‘hum’ to it and John Ford’s 124 in its Sportsmatch stock was like shooting a box of angry bees. But they were all tack drivers and between us we won many big competitions.

FT was different then though. 30 shots divided into 6 lanes of 5 targets, 90 seconds to shoot each lane, position determined by the target. This meant that you had to shoot and move so we were tuning not only for accuracy but consistency of zero in different positions.

When NARPA collapsed and BASC stepped in, shooting against the clock was removed from FT. Reason being quoting Gerry Turner 'FT is practice for hunting, we shouldn’t be encouraging people to rush their shots’. For many of us at the time this was a massive mistake, we fought against it but it became the norm. This led to most people adopting the FT ‘Cuddle’ hold. With that there came a change in what shooters wanted from their rifles and the HW 77 gave them exactly what they were craving.

The 77k changed everything. The combination of small diameter lightweight piston wrapped in 9lbs of steel and beech opened ours eyes to what was possible and it became the standard platform for 99% of FT rifles.

In all honesty, in my experience, the accuracy gains of any kind of tuning on the 77 are marginal. The biggest gains were to be made in the ergonomics of the stock and trigger and that’s what we really concentrated on.

But we did offer three stages of tune.

Stage 1 . Deburr, new spring, sleeve piston (this was soldered into position), fit piston head, re-lube.

Stage 2 . As above plus a solid guide fitted into the trigger block, top hat and and thrust race to remove torque.

Stage 3 . As above plus glided piston with bronze skirt and ptfe bearing. We designed this not for feel but to isolate the cylinder from any lubrication used on the spring. Then cylinder wasn’t glided, it was just shortened to accommodate the skirt we added to the piston. The piston was fitted with an Original 75 seal. These were fitted with two counter wound springs in the manner of the FWB 300.

So that was the standard offering but if you bought a full FTS and had the time and inclination we also changed the stroke length to suite the individuals style. Our back yard at the shop was 35 metres and we spent a lot of time setting up rifles. We re-barrelled to suite certain pellets, we would venturi cylinders, we tried every possible route with the sole aim of winning FT comps. So when you open one of our race guns, you could find anything.

As to numbers, 75-100 is as mentioned a guesstimate. Chatting to my Dad, we can’t believe we produced more than 100, in fact I would ere more toward the lower number, but most would have been full FTS, the difference in price being marginal between the two.

When launched, the FTS was nearly twice the price of its nearest competitor. When I calculated the cost equivalent at todays prices it suprised me. I calculated this by using the base cost of a 77 in 85 and the base cost today so I think £1700 is pretty accurate.

Richard

AirMasters

Hi Richard

I just wanted to thank you for such a detailed and informative response.

As an owner of an original Airmasters HW77 FT rifle I am an absolutely massive fan. Your rifles are simply the most comfortable and stunning air rifles to shoot and are without comparison, in my opinion. I am also a massive Venom fan and collector, so that is a considerable accomplishment and accolade.

I would go as far as to say the FTS/ FT rifles that you and your fabulous family produced back in the 1980’s are still without question the best possible “Classic Springer” rifle that money can buy today. ( if your are lucky enough to find one).

I often shoot mine at the club that I belong to, on a Sunday morning and it never fails to put a smile on my face and get a hail of positive comments from similar “middle added” shooters, who I hasten to add are mostly Firearms based.

Thank you to you, David and John for producing these stunning rifles as they are a credit to you and your family to this very day, which can’t be bad after 30+ years.

All the very best.

Kind Regards

David

Richard thanks for this detailed Airmasters background. If you have no objection, I'll copy it to my gallery as a lasting history of the company?

I have a Bowkett-tuned FWB124 in a John Welham (?) Airmasters stock - IMO the best designed Sport stock ever, with lovely hand cut chequering. I particularly like the way the fore end covers the breech block and is curved instead of the FWB's backward rake and exposed breech, a factory design that made me wince every time I picked up my d/l Sport 127 throughout the early '80s...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thank you for such a detailed and nostalic reply. Certainly you were all adding magic to the factory fodder, and today we are all enjoying the progress made in those early years.
    It just can't be overstated enough what real progress was made. Out of the farmyard where it had langished for years to what we expect now.
    The tinkering and challenge to better and better performance will always be there. But in the 1970's it was stuck in the mud and it was the 1980's that broke out and took us to another level. Much thanks to those pioneers pushing out the boundaries.

Yesterday I enjoyed shooting a twitchy factory Sport and a fully tuned HW95. To be homest both light weights and twitchy. Get it right and both can shoot straight. I also shot my Park 91 and Theoben SLR-88; both heavy weights and a lot less twitchy. Last week a Venom HW77. Weight and tuning does make an easier to shoot, more accurate spring mousetrap. Its those differences that make it interesting....that and each have such different triggers. Much fun had with the differents combos. It would be dull if all the same.
    Such progress in PCP's and optics that possibly its all hitting the wall again. Pellets getting better and better too. Maybe it is coming to the marksmanship again, maybe to what heart rate???? Maybe there is plenty still to go before perfection
    Last edited by Muskett; 17-07-2019 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    Now that is a question.

Our business was created by our success at Field Target. We wanted to win, pure and simple.

We had a 50’s Bedford coach that my Father and Dave had converted into a caravan and we used to travel the country competing at FT. Travelling with all us Welhams was National Champion Terry Wheeler, John Ford of Sportsmatch fame and his son Matthew, Mark Hicks, Roger Cameron and a few others. They were great days for a young airgun enthusiast. All that airgun talent in one place, discussing new ideas, their latest modifications, what works - what doesn’t. We all learnt so much in a very short time.

Our success led to people asking us to work on their rifles. Our philosophy was simple - accuracy is all that matters. Back then we didn’t give a hoot about aesthetics, recoil, noise, vibration so long as the result produced an edge that won competitions. Terry Wheeler's 45 was ridiculously noisy but by god was it accurate. Our super successful Mastersport is also a gun with a certain ‘hum’ to it and John Ford’s 124 in its Sportsmatch stock was like shooting a box of angry bees. But they were all tack drivers and between us we won many big competitions.

FT was different then though. 30 shots divided into 6 lanes of 5 targets, 90 seconds to shoot each lane, position determined by the target. This meant that you had to shoot and move so we were tuning not only for accuracy but consistency of zero in different positions.

When NARPA collapsed and BASC stepped in, shooting against the clock was removed from FT. Reason being quoting Gerry Turner 'FT is practice for hunting, we shouldn’t be encouraging people to rush their shots’. For many of us at the time this was a massive mistake, we fought against it but it became the norm. This led to most people adopting the FT ‘Cuddle’ hold. With that there came a change in what shooters wanted from their rifles and the HW 77 gave them exactly what they were craving.

The 77k changed everything. The combination of small diameter lightweight piston wrapped in 9lbs of steel and beech opened ours eyes to what was possible and it became the standard platform for 99% of FT rifles.

In all honesty, in my experience, the accuracy gains of any kind of tuning on the 77 are marginal. The biggest gains were to be made in the ergonomics of the stock and trigger and that’s what we really concentrated on.

Stage 1 . Deburr, new spring, sleeve piston (this was soldered into position), fit piston head, re-lube.

Stage 2 . As above plus a solid guide fitted into the trigger block, top hat and and thrust race to remove torque.

Stage 3 . As above plus glided piston with bronze skirt and ptfe bearing. We designed this not for feel but to isolate the cylinder from any lubrication used on the spring. Then cylinder wasn’t glided, it was just shortened to accommodate the skirt we added to the piston. The piston was fitted with an Original 75 seal. These were fitted with two counter wound springs in the manner of the FWB 300.

So that was the standard offering but if you bought a full FTS and had the time and inclination we also changed the stroke length to suite the individuals style. Our back yard at the shop was 35 metres and we spent a lot of time setting up rifles. We re-barrelled to suite certain pellets, we would venturi cylinders, we tried every possible route with the sole aim of winning FT comps. So when you open one of our race guns, you could find anything.

As to numbers, 75-100 is as mentioned a guesstimate. Chatting to my Dad, we can’t believe we produced more than 100, in fact I would ere more toward the lower number, but most would have been full FTS, the difference in price being marginal between the two.

When launched, the FTS was nearly twice the price of its nearest competitor. When I calculated the cost equivalent at todays prices it suprised me. I calculated this by using the base cost of a 77 in 85 and the base cost today so I think £1700 is pretty accurate.

Richard
    Brilliant stuff. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Now that is a question.

Richard
    Wow!

If Carlsberg did airgun forum posts..

Thank you, Richard, for providing such an in depth description of the tunes and the spirit / motivation of Airmasters.

Plus many excellent posts before and after chaps.

I particularly like the "taking the airgun out of the 1970s farmyard" reference up above.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Well after reading through todays posts I just have to say Thank you, mainly to Richard for his in-depth post about how Airmasters all started and the philosphy, also to everyone else who is adding so much content to this thread, its great to so many people are interested in the classic era of FT and airgun tuning.

Bit of info of how I came about owning this FTS, I was logged on to an online auction to bid on a completely different lot, not even airgun related, when the lot came up it quickly went out of my price range so that was that, now normally when this happens I just log off but this time I decided to scroll through the listings out of interest.
    Thats when I seen the word "Weihrauch" so straight away I was keen to see what this rifle was, it was a HW57, next couple of lots were gun bags/cases and then I seen the 77, the stock stood out a mile and current online bids were low, now I don't know what made me do it but something inside said I have to get this rifle even though I never knew what it was at the time.
    I had a feeling it was Venom based going by the moderator, the lot came up and bids started going up, last second I bid £300 and the hammer came down, with fees I was in for £380 and still no idea what I had bought, thats when I posted up here asking what people thought it was and here we are.
    I know it probably sounds like I don't know much about airguns, but I do have some other nice rifles which I have collected and restored over the years, this interest is what made me bid blind bar a few photos.

Thanks again..
    1970 FWB 300 - FWB 127 Sport - HW80 1983 - 1984 HW77K - HW30S - HW35 - AIRMASTERS 77FTS
    TX200 Mk2 .22 - TX200 Mk2 .177 - TX200SR Mk1 .177 Walnut - PROSPORT.177

It was clearly meant to be mate! And what a cracking thread and discussion it generated (we’re all very envious!)

P.s. - you can add it to the list of rifles on your signature now lol
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Richard thanks for this detailed Airmasters background. If you have no objection, I'll copy it to my gallery as a lasting history of the company?

I have a Bowkett-tuned FWB124 in a John Welham (?) Airmasters stock - IMO the best designed Sport stock ever, with lovely hand cut chequering. I particularly like the way the fore end covers the breech block and is curved instead of the FWB's backward rake and exposed breech, a factory design that made me wince every time I picked up my d/l Sport 127 throughout the early '80s...
    Hi Danny,

If you feel it's of interest feel free to use it.

You are correct, my father John, was the stocker. A lot of time and effort went into that stock design.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by UKdari1 View Post
    Hi Richard

I just wanted to thank you for such a detailed and informative response.

As an owner of an original Airmasters HW77 FT rifle I am an absolutely massive fan. Your rifles are simply the most comfortable and stunning air rifles to shoot and are without comparison, in my opinion. I am also a massive Venom fan and collector, so that is a considerable accomplishment and accolade.

I would go as far as to say the FTS/ FT rifles that you and your fabulous family produced back in the 1980’s are still without question the best possible “Classic Springer” rifle that money can buy today. ( if your are lucky enough to find one).

I often shoot mine at the club that I belong to, on a Sunday morning and it never fails to put a smile on my face and get a hail of positive comments from similar “middle added” shooters, who I hasten to add are mostly Firearms based.

Thank you to you, David and John for producing these stunning rifles as they are a credit to you and your family to this very day, which can’t be bad after 30+ years.

All the very best.

Kind Regards

David
    Hi David,

Thanks for the kind comments, it's really nice to know that our rifles are still out there doing the biz, so to speak.

ATVB

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Thank you for such a detailed and nostalic reply. Certainly you were all adding magic to the factory fodder, and today we are all enjoying the progress made in those early years.
    It just can't be overstated enough what real progress was made. Out of the farmyard where it had langished for years to what we expect now.
    The tinkering and challenge to better and better performance will always be there. But in the 1970's it was stuck in the mud and it was the 1980's that broke out and took us to another level. Much thanks to those pioneers pushing out the boundaries.

Yesterday I enjoyed shooting a twitchy factory Sport and a fully tuned HW95. To be homest both light weights and twitchy. Get it right and both can shoot straight. I also shot my Park 91 and Theoben SLR-88; both heavy weights and a lot less twitchy. Last week a Venom HW77. Weight and tuning does make an easier to shoot, more accurate spring mousetrap. Its those differences that make it interesting....that and each have such different triggers. Much fun had with the differents combos. It would be dull if all the same.
    Such progress in PCP's and optics that possibly its all hitting the wall again. Pellets getting better and better too. Maybe it is coming to the marksmanship again, maybe to what heart rate???? Maybe there is plenty still to go before perfection
    At the end of the day it always comes back to marksmanship, some will always be better than others and a tiny few operate in a totally different dimension when compared to us mere mortals.

In terms of a rifles capacity to be accurate, I think that the air rifle peaked with the 124. The accuracy we were squeezing out of them when we were young and competing regularly was ridiculous.

From that point most of the advancements have been in terms of 'shootability', making rifles easier to shoot well, making it easier for more people to shoot to a higher standard.

PCPs kind of depress me, to me they're not so much airguns as machines using air as a propellant. An airgun should be self contained. The air rifle was always the hardest form of long arm to shoot to a high standard, the PCP has made it the easiest.

Who knows, maybe that's a good thing? But I can't help feel that we've sold our soles along the way somewhere.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

PCPs kind of depress me, to me they're not so much airguns as machines using air as a propellant. An airgun should be self contained. The air rifle was always the hardest form of long arm to shoot to a high standard, the PCP has made it the easiest.

Who knows, maybe that's a good thing? But I can't help feel that we've sold our soles along the way somewhere.
    You need to come along to Mick's springer bash - you'll find a large crowd of the same opinion
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Now that is a question.

Richard

This is a great write up Richard and brings back a lot of memories.

I remember spending quite some time at your shop in Luton back in the mid 80's with my mate Keith Mountford. He commissioned an all singing, all dancing FT rifle based on the HW77. It was the one with adjustable palm shelf and the adjustable but hook. A terrific rifle.
    You kindly fitted a set back trigger to my HW77 (bought brand new by me in 1985). I still own this rifle and will never let it go.
    Every time we visited, you all were very enthusiastic and passionate about the sport of FT - a great bunch of chaps to be around.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    You need to come along to Mick's springer bash - you'll find a large crowd of the same opinion
    Thanks for the invite.

I have often thought about coming along but life keeps getting in the way, if you know what I mean.

One day.....