Thread: Milbro Cougars

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Milbro Cougars

How many of these were made?
    I've seen a few of them now and there are differences in where holes are drilled and if they are threaded or not. The little booklet shows a screw in the pistol grip but the one I was looking at todat is the first Ive seem with a hole in and threaded--although there is a hole in the pistol grip for a screw. Also--the booklet does not show a mainspring guide but I'm sure I've seen guides in them. The one i was looking at today has a "pip" on the cylinder end cap, like a Webley Hawk and the spring sits on that.
    I think the screw in the pistol grip may have been an attempt at stopping the grip moving and crackking round the screws on the sides of the grips.

This one is broken round the front screws of the trigger housing/ frame--if anyone has one that is unbroken?
    This one was hard to cock so i've cut a couple of coils off the mainspring. The trigger is REALLY heavy so I suspect thetrigger spring is catching on the housing like with the other I was doing recently.

Update--after a look at the trigger and seeing that the trigger spring appears to not be catching after I eased one of the grip screw holes, the trigger is still very heavy. Another look and it seems that the sides of the trigger are catching on the trigger housing , which causes a lot og drag when it is under pressure when cocked. As this housing is in pretty bad condition I may try to "Ease" the housing-----but dont want to spend much time or effort as I'm hopind a decent housing will turn up from somewhere
    Last edited by ggggr; 01-08-2019 at 08:53 AM. Reason: update
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Without access to company records it is impossible to say, Guy, as they weren't serial numbered. They were made and sold only over a four year period, so there would not have been that many. A few thousand I would guess, which would fit in with their apparent relative scarcity.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Without access to company records it is impossible to say, Guy, as they weren't serial numbered. They were made and sold only over a four year period, so there would not have been that many. A few thousand I would guess, which would fit in with their apparent relative scarcity.
    Thanks John----I suggested to someone that I'd be surprised if it was 4,000------------given the relatively low numbers of each type of pistols Webley produced pre war---and that the Cougar was only produced for 4 years.
    If anyone has an unbroken trigger housing/ frame I could give it a home
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

That all makes sense, but they seem fairly common on the collector circuit.

I wonder. If you were twelve in the period 1978-82, you probably really wanted one. I was, and I did. Perhaps they sold quite well, but Milbro was brought down by failing sales across the rest of the range.

I only recently realised that the Cougar is bigger and heavier than a BSA Scorpion, while less powerful and worse made.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

I only recently realised that the Cougar is bigger and heavier than a BSA Scorpion, while less powerful and worse made.
    Yes! I get the idea that they wanted to make something based on one of the rifles but very little form the rifles fit theCougar. The breech block is heavy and really ugly which may be why they covered it with the plasticy bits. Then making the trigger housing thinner so the plasticy bits could go there, mean that the housing is prone to breakage there. Then you have the L shaped plastic bit the rearsight sits on, which has never seemed a great idea to me. An iffy trigger and those brittle grips.

On this one the trigger housing was hammered with grease. After much messing round with the trigger, I founnd that the bottom/ front face of the small sear was hitting the trigger housing, which caused the notchy trigger and probablt when someone gun. put so much grease on the

Milbro Cougars