Thread: Webley Senior age

Webley Senior age

Hi,
    New to the forum and looking for some advice from people more knowledgeable than myself.

I have inherited a Webley Senior and am not sure how old it is or anything about it really. Serial number is 12552. From reading other posts of note are, that it says not to be removed at the end, and has 177. It does not have the number 4 after Birmingham.

I'd be interested to hear opinion on value aswell. I don't seem to be able to post photos, probably because this is my first post.

Thank you all in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfind View Post
    Hi,
    New to the forum and looking for some advice from people more knowledgeable than myself.

I have inherited a Webley Senior and am not sure how old it is or anything about it really. Serial number is 12552. From reading other posts of note are, that it says not to be removed at the end, and has 177. It does not have the number 4 after Birmingham.

I'd be interested to hear opinion on value aswell. I don't seem to be able to post photos, probably because this is my first post.

Thank you all in advance.
    Hello
    As your Senior is a post war example it doesn't have a Ser No but a batch number which doesn't help with dating. As it also doesn't have the B4 post code stamped after the address, we can conclude it was produced after 1958 when the factory relocated and before 1964 when it was superceded by the Premier model. As to value, it's hard to provide an accurate estimation without photos, but a fully functional Senior in good cosmetic condition should be worth £100-£120 in a private sale.

Hope this helps.
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 15-07-2019 at 02:02 PM.

Thank you very much for your response. I don't seem to be a me to add attachments, can anyone advise how I do that so I can upload photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello
    As your Senior is a post war example it doesn't have a Ser No but a batch number which doesn't help with dating. As it also doesn't have the B4 post code stamped after the address, we can conclude it was produced after 1958 when the factory relocated and before 1964 when it was superceded by the Premier model. As to value, it's hard to provide an accurate estimation without photos, but a fully functional Senior in good cosmetic condition should be worth £100-£120 in a private sale.

Hope this helps.
    Brian
    Thanks Brian, you can view the photos here if this is allowed:
    http://photos.app.goo.gl/HCkZAKdbTtT4utA57

That number is too long for a batch number, so it could be pre war. Does is start with an S prefix?

Does the barrel have knurling towards the rear or is the surface smooth?

If it is pre war, I'd estimate around 1938 for a number in the 12000 range.

Kind regards,

John

Hi John,

There is an S prior to the 12552. There is also 552 on the end of the barrel.

As far I can tell there is no knurling on the barrel.

Thanks,

Louise

Pre-WW2.

Agree with John it’s late pre-WW2. 1938 feels about right.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Yes the photos comfirm that it is a pre war Senior.

Hi Louise,
    The S pre-fix also makes a difference in estimated value as pre-war Seniors are generally more sought after than the post-war ones. I would estimate something around the £160-£180 mark for a reasonable example to be realistic.
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 16-07-2019 at 11:33 AM.