Thread: FWB300s advice

FWB300s advice

Hi all.
    I've just bought an fwb300s & I'd like some advice please.
    It seems a daft question, but what's the correct loading procedure? The guy I bought it from said it was perfectly safe to cock it & then let go of the sidelever to load the pellet, but I've always been the type to keep hold of the breakbarrel/cocking lever until my finger are clear of the action just in case.
    I don't want to lose the end of a finger or thumb to the sliding breech, but when shooting standing I cant see another way as my left hand is supporting the rifle while my right hand loads the pellet.
    Is there a correct method I haven't worked out?
    Thanks.
    Neil.

that's made me think, been 25 years or more since I shot one.
    Thought there was a ratchet safety on the breech that remained safe until the lever was back in the forward position, could have been Anschutz.
    Anyways, we used the clubs 300s for bell target week in-week out, matches and practice and don't remember anyone losing their fingers or accidental discharges when loading.

300s

Just to be on the safe side I tend to keep the side lever behind the elbow of my right arm as I load the pellet, it's easier to do than explain!
    J.
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

I'll try that, thankyou. The idea of leaving the sidelever unrestrained while I put my fingers inside makes me a little nervous.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    If its in good working order there is a ratchet on the opening (you should hear it) and on fully open there is a an anti bear trap device so even if you touched the trigger it can not snap shut, if that is not operative then its dangerous to use any way and needs repair.
    Its simple to check, pull the lever back, you should hear clicks, and if you stop at any point it should stay put, and not be able to be returned, only when it is fully open, that is the only point when you can now shut it. To check, with it open, hold the lever, (Just in case the anti bear trap is inoperative!) and pull the trigger, nothing should happen. If that is the case then your 300 is Ok and safe, any thing else, i.e. it tries to fire, then take it to a competent repairer (Wonky Donkey on here).

Many thousands of shooters have safely used the 300 for 50 years, and back in the day there was little else that was competitive, and I've been to Internationals back in the 70's when they were near enough the only rifles there, and I've never seen one snap close, as long as its not been in the hands of a "garden shed expert" it should be OK.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thankyou Robin. The ratchet & anti-beartrap are checked & working fine so I guess there's not too much to worry about.

Neil,

It used to give me the screaming hab-dabs, but as Robin has said, in all the quality side-lever vintage target rifles, the safety interlocks work superbly.

I don't give it a second thought these days, yet always still hang onto the barrels/cocking levers on break & under-lever rifles.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

As has been said in several posts, the 300S has three safety systems, firstly the ratchet which is clearly audible and again as has been said, if you let go the cocking arm whilst that is working, the cocking arm should stay where it is. the second safety is a cross-sliding plate that engages in a notch in the piston, this should retain the gun in an open position if the trigger is caught whilst the gun is cocked, if you look at the rear of the cylinder, you can see a small lever protruding up the side of the cylinder this is No 3 and locks the trigger, the second [cross plate] and this lever are only released by pressure from the cocking arm on the lever and tiny button for the cross plate; when it is pretty much completely closed. As such this should be a very safe rifle to use. HOWEVER I have worked on several rifles where the cross slide plate has been incorrectly fitted, as in it's not controlled by its leaf spring, this means the gun could discharge and destroy fingers, or it could jam the gun in a cocked position with the cocking arm locked solid.
    If there's a chance the gun has been serviced by someone who doesn't know about this, you have an unsafe gun and it needs correcting.
    Hope this helps in some way.
    abellringer