Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victoria Derbyshire

Victoria Derbyshire

Trying to get airgun law changed.
    On New 24 now.

Doubt many watch her.

Changed in what respect ?
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

peterd8877 is offline Anschutz connoisseur and marksman
    Not for the better I presume.

The mother of a child who was killed was on the Victoria Derbyshire show to get support for her case named Stanley’s law for licencing airguns and training of licence holders.
    This is the incident in which the child was killed.
    Albert Grannon, 78, was charged with manslaughter at Sheffield crown court. He initially told police the pellet must have ricocheted as he checked the air rifle, Albert Grannon admitted to manslaughter and possessing an adapted air rifle without a firearms certificate. at his home in Sproatley, east Yorkshire, last year.
    Tragic but no law can cater for idiots doing dangerous things with anything, regardless of whether it’s an air rifle a car or anything else that can cause harm.

Driving licences don't stop car accidents.
    Why would anyone think licencing airguns would stop them.
    Banning hand guns hasn't stopped hand gun offences.
    It is always the minority that couldn't give a hoot.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

This was the built in a shed airgun i think...

Elmer
    Daystate Regal xl .177 / Hawke niteeye 6-24x50irsf...
    Weihrauch HW97 .22 tbt kit / Hawke sidewinder 30 10×42...

2 ferrets and a net...

Quote Originally Posted by ElmerFudd.177 View Post
    This was the built in a shed airgun i think...

Elmer
    Nope . That was the Ben Wragge case. The case this thread is about is the one where the grandfather bought a stoeger xs20 that had been made FAC and was unlicensed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    On New 24 now.
    Most of these programs have a contact on (un)social media, if you happen across an anti shooting feature you need to respond to them pointing out that laws already exist,
    And while any incident is a tragedy, new laws will have no effect when the existing laws are being ignored.

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    On New 24 now.
    The VD show.... as in Venereal Disease...
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Yes there was also a big write up about it in the Sun newspaper last Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Yes there was also a big write up about it in the Sun newspaper last Saturday.
    Is that not an oxymoron?

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Most of these programs have a contact on (un)social media, if you happen across an anti shooting feature you need to respond to them pointing out that laws already exist,
    And while any incident is a tragedy, new laws will have no effect when the existing laws are being ignored.
    Absolutely. I’m sure that we are all very much saddened by the incident, but the rifle that killed the little lad was at 16 ft.lb and required a licence, and the perpetrator, the boy’s great grandfather, was fully aware of the fact, but chose to ignore that, and every other aspect of gun safety.

But whilst I agree that it will probably make little difference in practice, I find it difficult to make out a case against training and licensing.

The poor little lad's mum was on the local (Look North) breakfast news programme this morning. And I can understand her reaction but, like so many more thousands of people out there, will not have a grasp of how licensing or tightening laws any further will have changed anything.

As said previously, just about every law going relating to use, ownership and storage and safe handling advice were ignored.

I was talking to one of my customers about this earlier. A retired Chief Super-Intendant from the area concerned, Humberside Police. He was telling me that the great grand-father wasn't sure if it was loaded or not, so instead of any sensible checks, decided to aim it at the youngster and pull the trigger? Someone else had also mentioned that the man had dementia issues? Why didn't the family do anything about that?

My customer also fully agrees with the view that tightening laws any further or licensing airguns would serve only to punish the law abiding. After all, crims will break the law anyway, no matter how harsh or soft it may be.

Apparently the mum is trying to get a big petition together and plans to lobby Parlaiment. We need to have our house and voice in order ready for the ensuing onslaught. Hopefully plans are underfoot and ongoing already?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    He was telling me that the great grand-father wasn't sure if it was loaded or not, so instead of any sensible checks, decided to aim it at the youngster and pull the trigger?
    All reports state that the family were well aware that he always kept it cocked and loaded and not secured. He shot the boy at a family gathering to commemorate the death of his own son.

He has steadfastly refused to explain what happened - even given a last opportunity at his trial.

Something pretty weird has gone on there. i feel we are not getting the full picture.