Thread: Zella Mehlis EMGE pistol

Zella Mehlis EMGE pistol

I know a few manufacturers made this type of pistol, but this one seems of superior quality with solid steel components and lovely comfortable wooden grip. The one thing that bothers me is the end cap is square, it does not screw on. A 45 degree turn and it unleashes the pent up spring power, wonder if there has ever been an accident with these. There is a tiny hole in the back cap, is this for a locking screw ? At the moment it seems blocked by the spring guide.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Yes indeed, there have been more than a few reports of accidents with these, and in fact this topic has been discussed on this forum before. I personally would never shoot one unless the end cap has been modifed with a proper securing screw. Milbro realised this problem when they resurrected the design after the war as the Model 4 and used a belt and braces approach : a properly threaded end cap with a pin, and the cocking lever bent over the end cap.

The hole in the end cap accepts a small lug on the end of the spring guide which is supposed to stop the end cap rotating. It doesn't take much to make this ride out of the hole, always assuming it has engaged properly in the first place.

In fact, hardened Zenit shooters in Germany were known as "Piraten" (pirates) because of their eye patches.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 15-07-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Baz I'm afraid these pistols are a bit notorious for the end cap flying backwards towards one's eyes... IIRC our own Guy might have had an incident with one of these.

For this reason when Falke was experimenting with the Zenit before launching its own similar Falke 33 pistol, it used a more positive cap retainer, although in the end it used a more robust version of the EM-GE design.

From left: Zenit, Falke prototype Zenit, Falke 33
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks guys, very interesting. I would think it could be fairly catastrophic if it released with the spring cocked. I don't think shooting glasses would give enough protection to stop injury, think you would need a full face shield.

Baz

I fire mine with a thumb on the back end? It’s not a target pistol anyway. It’s mostly for my collection of Zella Mehlis pistols anyway.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Baz I'm afraid these pistols are a bit notorious for the end cap flying backwards towards one's eyes... IIRC our own Guy might have had an incident with one of these.
    Yes it is true When I lived at the old place I was shooting in the back yard. I pulled the trigger and the endcap flew off, hit me high on the cheek , flew over the yard wall and to the far side of the entry! Maybe 14-16ft in total? Luckily I found the end cap. I sold the pistol on very cheaply to someone on here who is more a collector than myself.
    It is always funnier when it happens to someone else
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Just used a simple fix. Not worth someone losing an eye for the sake of keeping it completely original.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]