Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't educate pork

Can't educate pork

Just happened to find a post on facebook group" Air Rifle Enthusiasts". Guy posting about his 60 yard rabbit kill. He admits its the first time he's managed it and I made a comment about the irresponsibility of overly long shots. Attracted a number of numpties who seem to consider it to be fine. Glad those on this forum are more sensible and concerned about our sport. Link is below for those with "faceache"

https://m.facebook.com/groups/533939...50871031741101

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef
    You’re wasting your time, you really can’t educate pork and no matter what you say they’ll still think they’re right. I’m also a member of that group and I just scroll past the numptys. To be honest groups like that do us no favours, they seem to be overpopulated by chavs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    You’re wasting your time, you really can’t educate pork and no matter what you say they’ll still think they’re right. I’m also a member of that group and I just scroll past the numptys. To be honest groups like that do us no favours, they seem to be overpopulated by chavs.
    You're absolutely correct Steve, wasting my time!! Abt, Mark

It also does not help when YouTube channels show the same shots being taken or close to that distance.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    It also does not help when YouTube channels show the same shots being taken or close to that distance.
    Absolutely right,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    Yes quite right, Them groups seem to be made up of idiots that have been removed from other genuine forums, Some talk utter crap, Well most of them really,

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    A few of us did point out the stupidity involved. As with all things in life some never learn
    Pete

It is an unfortunate fact of life that sometimes members of our own fraternity end up being some of our worst enemies because of their stupidity.

It is also an unfortunate fact that the growth in social media just allows them to spread their stupidity far more easily than at any time in the past.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    It is an unfortunate fact of life that sometimes members of our own fraternity end up being some of our worst enemies because of their stupidity.

It is also an unfortunate fact that the growth in social media just allows them to spread their stupidity far more easily than at any time in the past.
    Never a truer word spoken. That is the downside of social media

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    A few of us did point out the stupidity involved. As with all things in life some never learn
    Sometimes the page owners are as stupid as some of the members and can't see what you report as wrong .they themselves post stupid and inhumane shots also.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post

Spot on there. And 60 yards is a fairly modest boast unfortunately. I've seen worse. And by "professionals" on YouTube too who say things like "I think I just clipped it's ear".

If I were into conspiracy theories I might imagine some of these people were fifth columnists working for Packham.

Quote Originally Posted by wobbly bob View Post
    If I were into conspiracy theories I might imagine some of these people were fifth columnists working for Packham.
    Personally I wouldn't attribute to 'conspiracy' what can be easily attributed to general stupidity.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Lots of these types of people get confused with the difference between yards and feet. I've been in gunshops before and people telling me how they shoot rabbits at 100 yards with a sub 12ftlb air rifle. No amount of telling them it's not possible, and they are confusing feet with yards will convince them they're wrong.
    No point knocking when there's nobody in.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy45 View Post
    Lots of these types of people get confused with the difference between yards and feet. I've been in gunshops before and people telling me how they shoot rabbits at 100 yards with a sub 12ftlb air rifle. No amount of telling them it's not possible, and they are confusing feet with yards will convince them they're wrong.
    No point knocking when there's nobody in.
    I've lost count of the number of times I've heard "I paced it out and it was 100 paces and a pace is a yard innit?"
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Its all to do with shot placement and being a sportsman. A sportsman ensures that all things being equal the outcome will be swift and sure. For the target kill size and the fact an air rifle pellet at under 12ft/lbs then 60m meters is getting unsporting if not outright cruel, there being too many variables that leads to success being more luck than sure. Higher powered guns might well be able to deliver more sure.

So doing it a whole lot less than sure makes the person a plank.

If you hunt long enough you will miss, you will make a mistake. Hopefully you will learn from such mistakes and try hard to do better next time. When hunting there is always a chance something will go amiss and that is normal, natural, regretful even. But to push the boundaries of equipment and ability knowingly, where success is but luck, is stupid and ignorant.
    The killing business can be messy but at least have respect for the nature's life taken.