Thread: Webley Junior Mk2

Webley Junior Mk2

Hi,

While rummaging through a cupboard looking for my BSA 240 Magnum air pistol, I stumbled upon this Webley Junior Mk2 which I'd forgotten I even possessed.
    I bought it from an Arms Fair at Bisley many years ago purely for the nice replacement wooden grips which look so much nicer than the original plastic ones.
    Somebody has taken the time to shape and fit the grips perfectly even adding the Webley logo to one side. I'm not really a fan of these later Webley models and I now remember walking past the table several times hoping it would have been sold next time around. But no, so I decided it was less hassle just to buy the flaming thing rather than keep going around one more time. Still haven't found that blood*y 240 Magnum yet though.

Brian

They do look really well done and I can see what attracted you.

But IMHO walnut on these late model Webley pistols is a bit like the Anschutz sight on the final model Supertarget - a jarring and even faintly ridiculous juxtaposition of old-style and modern materials/designs.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    They do look really well done and I can see what attracted you.

But IMHO walnut on these late model Webley pistols is a bit like the Anschutz sight on the final model Supertarget - a jarring and even faintly ridiculous juxtaposition of old-style and modern materials/designs.
    Hi Danny,

I know what you mean, but I always believed Webley should have continued with wood grips as fitted to the early MK1s for all their future products. Even the later Slant Grip models were improved by Stoeger with wooden grips being fitted to the models exported to the USA. Synthetic grips are even made to simulate the appearance of wood, but can never feel quite as nice in the hand.

The worst example to my mind was when Webley fitted those horrible ribbed steel grips to the first Juniors instead of the nice wooden grips originally fitted.

When through economic necessity, Webley moved from machined steel to alloy castings they lost most of their appeal for me and many others. Although a relatively small modification, I reckon the fitting of wood grips to these later models would have provided a big improvement in perceived quality.

Brian

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Nice grips, shame about the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Nice grips, shame about the rest.

Eactly!lol

Another couple of Webley products that in my opinion anyway, look and feel much better when fitted with wooden grips.

Finally found the BSA 240 Magnum by the way which also sports a nice set of wooden grips.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 18-07-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Webley Junior MK2

Nice example of a Junior MK2. The best one I have seen in years.