Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shooting with the wrong eye

shooting with the wrong eye

I have a right handed friend that that has an 'iffy' right eye and has to do acrobatics over the stock to use his left eye in the scope.

For diopter we have these :-
    https://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalo...m-597-260.html
    https://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalo...Swap-1140.html

But what is available for scoped rifles?

Thanks.

Has your friend tried shooting left handed?

I am right handed, but have a dominant left eye. I shoot left handed as a result and it is not weird/odd.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I'm left eye dominant and shoot right eyed. Depends how strong your motor side is over your less dominant.

By 'iffy' eye, I mean it doesn't work.
    He doesn't want to shot left handed.

The standard advice is to wear clear safety or shooting glasses and cover the dominant eye lens with a piece of opaque plastic (e.g. from a 2 litre milk bottle). This allows the shooter to keep both eyes open, but only process information from the non-dominant eye. That is what they taught me to do on a junior coaching instructor course, but I've never had first hand experience myself as I'm right eyed.

Edit: but if you mean he is blind in one eye, that is different! I think shooting left handed is going to be easier than any kind or 'reach over' stock or scope mount..

offset scope mounts
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    offset scope mounts
    I have looked for these, but can't find any.
    I expect he'd want them to fit 11mm dove tail.

I can make a custom set for him, but buying off the shelf would be quicker and easier.

When I had a dedicated NV on my FX Verminator, because the mount was so high the easiest way to shoot was to roll my head over the stock & shoot it left eye.
    So if he needs to shoot left eye I'd say fit the highest mounts you can find & try to roll his head over the stock, cutting down the stock would also help.

I know in the Biathlon world cup one shooter uses a dog leg stock to shoot left eye-right handed after she damaged her right eye.

I know Gehmann do an offset mount system for disabled shooters.
    https://disabledshooting.org.uk/more...osite-eye.html

Thinking about it, if the scope was shoved over 3" to the left on a custom made mount, wouldn't that make the sight impossible to to set up at anything other than one set distance? Wouldn't it also make the rifle incredibly unbalanced?

I guess if he won't shoot left handed you could try making up a small scope mounted version of the periscopes people use to look over crowds.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MrChipShoulder View Post
    Thinking about it, if the scope was shoved over 3" to the left on a custom made mount, wouldn't that make the sight impossible to to set up at anything other than one set distance? Wouldn't it also make the rifle incredibly unbalanced?
    If the rifle has a monte carlo type cheek piece this could be removed so that his left eye is sitting closer to the centre line of the stock and with a bit of fettling could even be made slightly concave or cup shaped to get it even closer, that way his left eye will be much closer than 3".
    When you think about it a scope is already above the bore line, so is only truly set up for one distance in the vertical plane, so distances closer or further need hold over/under or use of mildots etc.
    If the scope was on a offset mount then the same would apply in the horizontal plane.

In the shotgun world the answer is to use a "crossover" stock, for scope use on a rifle then a stock can be made or modified to suit.
    I know of at least one shooter who shoots bell target right handed with a diopter using his left eye simply by removing the adjustable cheek piece from the stock and resting his chin on the cutout section of stock. This could easily be applied to a scoped rifle especially one that already has an adjustable cheek piece.
    Using offset mounts with a scope will mean excessive crossover problems at ranges other than zero'd range, I would suggest that if unable to shoot left handed then the head should cross the stock to use a centrally mounted scope, I can't imagine shooting HFT with approx 65mm left offset on a scope! It would be no problem with fixed range competitions such as bench rest.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Thank you guys, so it looks like a modified stock is the way to go.
    I can do that with ease (but not on a new rifle !! )

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Loki_79 View Post
    The standard advice is to wear clear safety or shooting glasses and cover the dominant eye lens with a piece of opaque plastic (e.g. from a 2 litre milk bottle). This allows the shooter to keep both eyes open, but only process information from the non-dominant eye. That is what they taught me to do on a junior coaching instructor course, but I've never had first hand experience myself as I'm right eyed.

Edit: but if you mean he is blind in one eye, that is different! I think shooting left handed is going to be easier than any kind or 'reach over' stock or scope mount..
    Agree with this its what we teach in archery. All depends how good or bad the vision is in the eye
    BSA Superten BBK (Blueprinted), BSA Ultra SS Regged, Tanfoglio Witness, Umarex 1911
    and many, many bows and slingshots

Quote Originally Posted by MrChipShoulder View Post
    Thank you guys, so it looks like a modified stock is the way to go.
    I can do that with ease (but not on a new rifle !! )
    If you drop the comb then you might get away with it, or setting up an alutec stock with an offset butt section may do it. The solution in shot guns is sometimes to use a S shaped stock, but I don't know how effective it actually is. That said the target shooting stocks often have rear sections that can be laterally offset which gets the gun over to the left more... that might work if taken further.