Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shooting with the wrong eye

Have you seen this, to get you thinking
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mcVFrk7omk

I'm right handed but left eye dominant, I just taught myself to shoot left handed.

Oar

Quote Originally Posted by ora8i View Post
    I'm right handed but left eye dominant, I just taught myself to shoot left handed.

Oar
    Simplest and probably best answer.

The British military has, since introducing the SA80, taught everyone to shoot from the right shoulder with the right eye.

If the right eye is non-functional, learn to shoot from the left shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

The British military has, since introducing the SA80, taught everyone to shoot from the right shoulder with the right eye.
    Because if you don't you get a case in the other eye. The army doesn't have shooters who can't use their right eye. Furthermore they're not really in the realms of caring about accuracy either, well not with the SA80 they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Because if you don't you get a case in the other eye. The army doesn't have shooters who can't use their right eye. Furthermore they're not really in the realms of caring about accuracy either, well not with the SA80 they're not.
    Not quite.

The problem is not just case in the eye (ouch) but also charging handle removing teeth (big ouch).

They originally intended to field both right and left handed versions. But then thought sod it, because, as you say, all soldiers have both eyes functional.

I am no fan of the SA80, certainly not in its original form, and think we’d have been much better off buying the Dimaco version of the M16 or a developed version of the Sterling-Armalite AR18 or similar, but the SA80 is, by service rifle standards, notably accurate.

My point was simply that if your master eye and strong shoulder don’t match, the best option is to learn to shoot from the weak shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Not quite.

The problem is not just case in the eye (ouch) but also charging handle removing teeth (big ouch).

They originally intended to field both right and left handed versions. But then thought sod it, because, as you say, all soldiers have both eyes functional.

I am no fan of the SA80, certainly not in its original form, and think we’d have been much better off buying the Dimaco version of the M16 or a developed version of the Sterling-Armalite AR18 or similar, but the SA80 is, by service rifle standards, notably accurate.

My point was simply that if your master eye and strong shoulder don’t match, the best option is to learn to shoot from the weak shoulder.
    We do use the Diemaco, it's just not standard issue. But yep forgot about the cocking handle.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    We do use the Diemaco, it's just not standard issue. But yep forgot about the cocking handle.
    Indeed.

It’s a bit of a minor national embarrassment that every unit that can use something else than the service rifle does.

Not just the secret ninjas, but 43 Cdo, Pathfinders, RMP CP, and others. All AR15 variants.

We’ve been issuing AR15 since the early 60s (before it became the M16). If we hadn’t had political equity in Enfield, and a degree of national exceptionalism, we’d surely not have adopted SA80, and instead chosen a weapon that we’d already been using, in limited numbers, and successfully, for a quarter of a decade.

France was the same. Went for the FAMAS. Now being replaced by the HK416F, a piston variant of Gene Stoner’s 1958-vintage AR15.

I can get a bit boring about this, so will shut up now.