Thread: Webley Omega Spring Guide Question?

Webley Omega Spring Guide Question?

I just stripped a Webley Omega I very recently acquired to service it and have discovered the original slotted spring guide has separated from its base meaning a replacement is needed.

There seem to be none available either from Knibbs,Chambers or Protek!

My question therefore is if I have one made does it also have to be slotted?Are the slots in the original guide there to accomodate part of the trigger mech?

Without thinking too hard I doubt slots are need,but would like confirmation of this,please!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    nah, replace it with a proper one - it'll be an upgrade
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thank you Shedtuner for confirmation of what I suspected.It has crossed my mind that if I were to epoxy the original spring guide back together would it be strong enough as the fit to the spring is very good?

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Thank you Shedtuner for confirmation of what I suspected.It has crossed my mind that if I were to epoxy the original spring guide back together would it be strong enough as the fit to the spring is very good?
    Even if you could get it to stick together I bet the first Shot would break it. Get a new one.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

The vulcan and omega use the same spring, and I bet the guide would interchange maybe with some minimal trimming. Knibbs has a long spring guide for the vulcan etc under the "airgun tuning" category, that may work for you,

I may have a spring guide in the shed you can have. PM me or email me through my username tomorrow and I'll have a look w... my memory ain't what it used to be!!
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I may have a spring guide in the shed you can have. PM me or email me through my username tomorrow and I'll have a look w... my memory ain't what it used to be!!
    Many thanks for the offer Donald I have PM'd you!

Thanks for everyone's replies and suggestions.If 'thisisdonald' cannot find a spring guide Chambers have the Eclipse spring guide listed as being in stock,which appears to be identical to the Omega guide that I have.

Protek sell excellent nylon spring guides for £6.00 under "All other makes" spare parts. They're very tough, come with a couple of preload washers and are the right diameter for your needs. Omegas went through some changes in their relatively short lives, mine has a steel spring giude pinned to the back block, like a Vulcan.

Regarding the slots, I have heard it said they're a good reservoir for the spring grease.

Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post
    Protek sell excellent nylon spring guides for £6.00 under "All other makes" spare parts. They're very tough, come with a couple of preload washers and are the right diameter for your needs. Omegas went through some changes in their relatively short lives, mine has a steel spring giude pinned to the back block, like a Vulcan.

Regarding the slots, I have heard it said they're a good reservoir for the spring grease.

Thanks I just took a look they do look good,but are currently out of stock,unfortunately.

Webley Omega Spring Guide Question?

Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post

Regarding the slots, I have heard it said they're a good reservoir for the spring grease.i seem to recall that the slots were bulging out slightly,and were flexible.to aid a tight fit on the mainspring?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by wil95k View Post
    i seem to recall that the slots were bulging out slightly,and were flexible.to aid a tight fit on the mainspring?
    yes, that was the logic at the time...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.