Thread: Rusty barrel

Rusty barrel

Just took one my air rifles out of its case and has quite a bit rust around the barrel. Last time i had it out it was raining however i thought i had dried it properly and wiped it down. Anyone any advice on what i can use to rid this surface rust and now im worried the inside of barrel could now be affected. Any advice welcome in advance

Use wire wool and light oil to rub off the rust. A lot of people on here will tell you to use fine wire wool but I have used medium and coarse wool for 40 years with no problems of the blueing being removed. The barrel bores do not usually rust due to the lead running through them and slight vaporised oil from the compression chamber being deposited. You can run a phosphor bronze brush through followed by thin cloth on a jag and see if there is any brown rust on it. Always apply a thin film of lube on your rifle after drying it. In the Marines I used to wash my SLR in the shower after exercises in the mud and it was never rusty.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Yep.

Nice one, Baz.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Use wire wool and light oil to rub off the rust. A lot of people on here will tell you to use fine wire wool but I have used medium and coarse wool for 40 years with no problems of the blueing being removed. The barrel bores do not usually rust due to the lead running through them and slight vaporised oil from the compression chamber being deposited. You can run a phosphor bronze brush through followed by thin cloth on a jag and see if there is any brown rust on it. Always apply a thin film of lube on your rifle after drying it. In the Marines I used to wash my SLR in the shower after exercises in the mud and it was never rusty.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Thanks for that mate just ordered some abbey gun oil, hopefully thatl do the trick

i use those soapy wire wool thingys. you used to get reblue to "well" reblue. i find that water does not make the blueing bggr up, it can be rubbed off. its your fingers and the oils in the sweat that cause the damage hence always clean as soon as.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

I tried fine wire wool and oil with little result.
    Then Baz gave me some of his medium which does a great job on the rust and doesn't remove blueing.
    Anazing difference.

Use gloves tho!

Arrow

I use a oil rust remoover

Its hard to find but you can get Bronze wire wool. Its softer than steel and a bit more gentle. I've never used it on a gun but can't see any reason why not to... Use with light oil same as steel wire wool...

Rut removal

I’ve recently restored a Falcon in 22 that was given to me in bits. Rough shooter off here worked a miracle with the internals working out what was missing and putting it all back together with new seals and I did the wood and external. The barrel and air cylinder we’re quite rough on the outside with lots of rust spotting. I cleaned it off with fine wire wool and Parker Hale oil/cleaner then took all the oil off with brake and clutch cleaner and kitchen roll. I then went over the whole lot with 4 coats/applications of birchwood cassey perma blue and lightly oiled with the Parker hale. It now looks like new again

Rick
    It's not my faulty, I was just.....