Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anschutz 250, bit of a revelation

Anschutz 250, bit of a revelation

Hi,

Just serviced an LG250 I bought a while back and wow, what an interesting rifle!

The shot cycle feels much gentler than a Giss System, but virtually recoiless. The mechanism also feels more ‘normal’ than a sledge system but it’s still putting out 5.5 ftlbs and is pellet on pellet accurate.

https://youtu.be/DpxtKjvKtcE

That hydrolic damper system is such an ingenious design.

I’m a bit late to the party but glad I made it.

Matt.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Nice guns...

I know they have a proper anti-beartrap, but ways load my sidelevers with my elbow in front of the open sidelever, blocking it's closure, just in case...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Nice guns...

I know they have a proper anti-beartrap, but ways load my sidelevers with my elbow in front of the open sidelever, blocking it's closure, just in case...
    Not a bad idea, I’ll give it a try 👍

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Hi,

Just serviced an LG250 I bought a while back and wow, what an interesting rifle!

The shot cycle feels much gentler than a Giss System, but virtually recoiless. The mechanism also feels more ‘normal’ than a sledge system but it’s still putting out 5.5 ftlbs and is pellet on pellet accurate.

https://youtu.be/DpxtKjvKtcE

That hydrolic damper system is such an ingenious design.

I’m a bit late to the party but glad I made it.

Matt.
    Never too late to enjoy these fabulous airguns .
    I have the Mod 220 which uses a similar pneumatic recoil absorber rather than the hydraulic one like yours.
    I like the way it is built with the precision and close tolerances of a 10m target rifle yet it looks quite like an ordinary rifle from the outside. The recoil is more like a brief shudder felt after the shot has gone. Love the palm swell and thumb rest too.
    Agree 100% with blocking the cocking arm with the elbow when inserting the pellet in the barrel.

Edit: Good video. I have various models of the Giss Dianas that I have set up and my favourite test is to stack 4 flat head pellets on top of each other on the round part of the cylinder and shoot the gun.....they just tremble a bit and stay stacked. Can email you the video I just did if you are interested to see it and have the patience to watch 4 pellets (eventually) being stacked on top of each other.
    Those old Dianas are so addictive to shoot
    Last edited by dvd; 21-07-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks for the video, Matt. Here's a vaguely similar one I made years ago of a LG380 (the 250's successor) mechanism:

https://youtu.be/CkXUOO1gXro0

If you ever need to recondition the oil damper, please let me know.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Annie 250

Hi i too have recently re sealed both rifle and damper unit.......the rifle fires nicely. other than a loud ching when firing , the only thing that i can see different to those of others ive seen on the internet is the piston buffer is only a 1mm thick beyond the end of the piston...others that i have seen are 2mm.. Also the second spring has 6 coils instead of 4 as shown on waffen gotha site ?
    so the ching is coming from one end or the other... you certainly hear it more than feel it
    So Help ive changed oils in the damper whsts left other than the above
    Cheers ian

DVD, I think I saw a 3-4 pellet Diana recoil test on YouTube, maybe that was yours? If not I’d be interested to see it.
    How does the 220 system work exactly? I’m intrigued as this was the first sliding cylinder design that Feinwerkbau copied.

I serviced the Damper system Danny, I think I used some pics you posted? Also used a scan of the instructions you put up to get the trigger setup correctly, so thanks.

Matt.

DVD, I think I saw a 3-4 pellet Diana recoil test on YouTube, maybe that was yours? If not I’d be interested to see it.
    How does the 220 system work exactly? I’m intrigued as this was the first sliding cylinder design that Feinwerkbau copied.

I serviced the Damper system Danny, I think I used some pics you posted? Also used a scan of the instructions you put up to get the trigger setup correctly, so thanks.

Matt.
    I posted pics of a 250 oil damper I serviced because there were none available anywhere at the time. In fact I could find no instructions on how to do it whatever.

I imagine a few gunsmiths were familiar with dismantling the damper but hadn't shared this knowledge. Plus the 250 was being sold right up to the early '80s, so the damper seals probably only started to fail in the '90s and noughties, I expect?

The 220 used a small diameter opposing piston, so the 250's oil-filled damper was a significant improvement on it, judging by your video. I had a 220 which I sold to mrto ages ago and IIRC you could only call it semi-recoiling at best, although it may be the rear-facing piston seal on my rifle had begun to wear.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Think this guy keeps parts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwE3MxEf9d0
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Matt.
    I will send you an email with the impromptu video I recently did. I have never made one on YouTube, so what you may have seen is not mine.
    The Mod 220 was indeed a first in many ways.
    The fixed barrel/sliding cylinder arrangement along with the (then) novel approach to mechanically reduce recoil by having a built-in pneumatic damper with the mainspring made up of two uneven lengths, was very hi-tech at the time.
    Other stuff like the self adjusting spring guide, a superb modular trigger and a selfactuating pellet ramp to help the user guide the pellet exactly into the barrel were the cherries on the cake.
    David.

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    selfactuating pellet ramp to help the user guide the pellet exactly into the barrel
    You can see that ramp in this pic.

Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    The 220 used a small diameter opposing piston, so the 250's oil-filled damper was a significant improvement on it, judging by your video.
    Pics of the smaller-diameter recoil-suppressing rear piston on the LG220 here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....utz/#post-4121

If you look at the parts list for the 220, you can see the rear piston had a separate cylinder sleeve, which Anschutz called the 'compensating piston cylinder' (part 39).

Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Think this guy keeps parts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwE3MxEf9d0
    His website says he does:

http://www.customgunparts.co.uk/page7.html

Vintage Airguns Gallery

Anschutz 250.

I used customgunparts to completely refurbish the action on my 250 after oil started to leak into the breech..
    Just follow his video...
    Simple really had it done in a afternoon..
    The only special tool req.. is a syringe to fill the damper with brake fluid.
    Had the stock refurbed by a neighbour who builds violins as a hobby, and now this is my first choice target rifle..

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    I will send you an email with the impromptu video I recently did. I have never made one on YouTube, so what you may have seen is not mine.
    The Mod 220 was indeed a first in many ways.
    The fixed barrel/sliding cylinder arrangement along with the (then) novel approach to mechanically reduce recoil by having a built-in pneumatic damper with the mainspring made up of two uneven lengths, was very hi-tech at the time.
    Other stuff like the self adjusting spring guide, a superb modular trigger and a selfactuating pellet ramp to help the user guide the pellet exactly into the barrel were the cherries on the cake.
    David.
    Good vid David, Very impressive demo of the 75 in action, you should upload it to YouTube.

Giss system is such a great mechanism,
    I did film some footage of a cutaway of the Giss system in action at 1:20 in:

https://youtu.be/1tyDTwpEDLg

I’d love to get my hands on a 220, sounds like quite an important rifle. Apparently 11,000 were made but they come up on egun every now and then.

Cheers,

Matt.