Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pest control pellets

Pest control pellets

Just bought a s410 tdr its .177 had it to the range today and it doesnt seem too pellet fussy. The pellets it seemed too love were aa diablo and sovereigns, however this being the only .177 ive had in nearly 20 years im wondering how these pellets do at hunting or any thoughts on pellets i can try which work best for you guys. Cheers

If there accurate, they will do the job
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

We'll all tell you that the most accurate pellet in your rifle will be the best pellet for pest control.

My HW100 was also unfussy - over 40yrds it also shot Polymag shorts and H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme very well.

At 12ftlb the Hunter Extremes were never going to expand as intended but, the larger frontal area made by the cross in the front, delivered a good wallop - it helped the pellet to slow on impact and dump more energy into the target. I found it to be an excellent ratting pellet.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    We'll all tell you that the most accurate pellet in your rifle will be the best pellet for pest control.

My HW100 was also unfussy - over 40yrds it also shot Polymag shorts and H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme very well.

At 12ftlb the Hunter Extremes were never going to expand as intended but, the larger frontal area made by the cross in the front, delivered a good wallop - it helped the pellet to slow on impact and dump more energy into the target. I found it to be an excellent ratting pellet.
    Cheers for that il give them a go mostly rabbits and squirrels i shoot and have only used .22 for years but fancied a change so il see how i get on

Try the polymags. A good rat pellet in .177 were the rws super h point.

Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    Try the polymags. A good rat pellet in .177 were the rws super h point.
    Never really had anything to do with them but always been unsure about putting anything plastic down the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post

I have used both the Hunter Extremes and Crosman Accupels in .177 for squirrels. Both very good but I prefer the Accupels, mainly because they are slightly easier to load (for me) in my TX and as said above, the Hunter Extremes don’t really expand at our power level. I did try the Bisley Pest Control but I found them to be too fiddly to load. My chubby fingers probably didn’t help much, though.

robby is offline Whos the odd one out now
    Hobby flathead does it for me all the time,also punch a neat hole at paper targets too.

Quote Originally Posted by robby View Post
    Hobby flathead does it for me all the time,also punch a neat hole at paper targets too.
    Me too, ratting .22 set at 9ftlb with these keep it fairly fast and no thru's as that's important in the barns

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

I liked accupels

The issue with .177 sub 12 FPE is certain quarry a fast .177 can zip thru.

Pigeon and rat being two good examples.

I go light weight 7.9 JSB Exact Express as they are light and of soft lead so deform well< flat traj and have accuracy to good range if you can plant it in the right spot.

Close range - find a pellet such as a Hollow Point that has the group and again soft lead.

Close too and harder lead isn't going to squash.

Pigeon have flight and whilst they will die, they get to the air first so a closer range pellet like a Bisley pest control is a game changer.

There is no short cut other than trying pellets in your gun.

HPs will have much shorter range re 5 pence groups so get to know the max range, the POIs and the wind effect.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    The issue with .177 sub 12 FPE is certain quarry a fast .177 can zip thru.

Pigeon and rat being two good examples.

I go light weight 7.9 JSB Exact Express as they are light and of soft lead so deform well< flat traj and have accuracy to good range if you can plant it in the right spot.

Close range - find a pellet such as a Hollow Point that has the group and again soft lead.

Close too and harder lead isn't going to squash.

Pigeon have flight and whilst they will die, they get to the air first so a closer range pellet like a Bisley pest control is a game changer.

There is no short cut other than trying pellets in your gun.

HPs will have much shorter range re 5 pence groups so get to know the max range, the POIs and the wind effect.
    I think thats probably why i havnt had a .177 for years now. The last one i had was a hw80 and if i remember rightly the over kill was a bit too much for me with the pigeons. Ive used accupel now for years as every gun ive had seems too like them. I think il give them a go in .177 form

Quote Originally Posted by Verminx View Post
    Never really had anything to do with them but always been unsure about putting anything plastic down the barrel?
    I used them for a few years. Perfect for close range up to 30 yards. The plastic don't even touch the barrel.

Whilst Accupells are fine in a TX when you are loading one at a time I would be careful about using them in a magazine such as the 410 has. I don't know how different the loading into the breech is, compared with my S400 on which I have a Rowan magazine kit fitted, but I find short pellets like the Accupells tip over and can get jammed in the breech unless I tilt the rifle muzzle upwards whilst feeding a pellet into the breech.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Verminx View Post
    I think thats probably why i havnt had a .177 for years now. The last one i had was a hw80 and if i remember rightly the over kill was a bit too much for me with the pigeons. Ive used accupel now for years as every gun ive had seems too like them. I think il give them a go in .177 form
    I shoot .177 over .22 for sub 12. the advantages outweight the disadvantages by a mile. I just have 2 types of pellet if I know I am going to be closè on certain pest species especially woodies.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill