Thread: Two cheap pistols

Two cheap pistols

Whilst wondering about my local RFD i came across two broken pistols in the bargain bucket,
    A Crosman 1322 and 1377, both in need of new seals as there was just no buildup of pressure when pumped,
    Easy fix! I thought, but when i got them home and opened them up, they needed new pistons, new seals, and valve work.
    Thankfully I have a good workshop and proceeded to make the new pistons ( I had plenty of nylon bar lying around).
    The valves just needed turning to remove the cone shape, then resealing, and a slight internal volumeisation.
    Nitrile O-rings were the prefered type of piston seals.
    I'm now happy to say these two Crosmans are possibly shooting better than they did from the factory.

The crazy thing is, they only cost me £10 each, and literally only cost me pennies and a bit of time to revamp,
    so it looks like these two beauties will be staying in my collection for quite some time...

https://imgur.com/a/qltn7NM
    FX ImpactX, AirArms HFT500, 2xAirArms S200 MK3, Webley Omega, Weihrauch HW95, HW97K, HW98, HW99s, AirArms S200mk3, Gunpower Stealth, Weihrauch HW40pca, HW45 Black Star, Webley Alecto, Crosman 2240, Artemis pp700sa, Swiss Arms SA P1911, Walther CP88 competition, CP99

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

I have seen some very beautiful examples of these wearing walnut grips by Bowkett and others....these are much underated pistols and your a lucky man!

if you've flat topped them a quick check over a chrony might be advisable the 22 will have the blow by stem in so may be ok

Nicely done!

You certainly have a couple of bargains there, especially with you having the ability to do the work yourself.

Characterful and usually very accurate, too.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Which Rfd ? Keith's ?
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Which Rfd ? Keith's ?
    No, Bob Dunkley’s buddy, they were Stevens, but he just wanted rid of them.
    Last edited by Pakmoto; 26-07-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    FX ImpactX, AirArms HFT500, 2xAirArms S200 MK3, Webley Omega, Weihrauch HW95, HW97K, HW98, HW99s, AirArms S200mk3, Gunpower Stealth, Weihrauch HW40pca, HW45 Black Star, Webley Alecto, Crosman 2240, Artemis pp700sa, Swiss Arms SA P1911, Walther CP88 competition, CP99

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    if you've flat topped them a quick check over a chrony might be advisable the 22 will have the blow by stem in so may be ok
    Thank you for your concern, they are flat topped and i’m happy to know there’s people looking out for one another as a section 5 firearms offence is no laughing matter.

Even with the maximum pumps the .177 maxes out at 5.1fpe and the .22 is 4.9fpe.

I’m so happy with these two little fellas, and as others have said they are so accurate.

no maximum pumps on these as pressure will increase with diminishing returns the more you pump with an upgraded FTP
    original cups and weak plastic pistons tend to stop increasing pressure at about 15 pumps
    a gent in Canada did a graph with a std piston and cup an adjustable piston with a std cup and a FTP
    the original stopped inc around 15 wheras the adj and FTP were very similar up to a certain pressure and the FTP kept inc to about 40 or so pumps

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    no maximum pumps on these as pressure will increase with diminishing returns the more you pump with an upgraded FTP
    original cups and weak plastic pistons tend to stop increasing pressure at about 15 pumps
    a gent in Canada did a graph with a std piston and cup an adjustable piston with a std cup and a FTP
    the original stopped inc around 15 wheras the adj and FTP were very similar up to a certain pressure and the FTP kept inc to about 40 or so pumps
    My two develop maximum power at 10 pumps, any more is just wasted energy as the FPS will not go any further.

must have blow by valves still fitted my 1322 pistol with a high volume valve and FTP does 5 and a bit with heavy pellets on 5 pumps but it starts retaining air at 4 pumps as it has a light hammer spring at 6 pumps it produce less fps as the valve retains more air
    I was looking at making some blow off pistons like I make for my 140's but the piston is a bit short so I may look at adding a valve pressure release like setra's and 2200's have