Thread: Customer service : A few tips to getting the best

Customer service : A few tips to getting the best

Hi All

I ran European support for a Multi national for 20 years, plus 12 years on and off with MTC. MTC have had a small issue with a supplier and ended up not being able to get end caps, promised 6x, shipment arrived, no end caps. This led to a lot of understandable frustration from our AND most importantly the customers point of view. I took the customer calls and mails. My way is a tad unorthodox, in that I just tell the customer the truth. I'd be pissed off if I was him, I am pissed off taking all the flak, here is what is happening, truth is we could be screwed again. Customer may not get a resolution but at least they get the truth. Best I can do. Most appreciated it and have been patient, issue now resolved. I've also had to contact a few companies recently with repair / warrant issues and have managed to obtain good service with a few simple methods

Here are a few dos and don'ts for getting the best service

FIRST call, assume success

1. Even if you are angry, calm down. Always be polite and respectful. If you do then you are making the CS person's day better and they will be more inclined to help

2. Write down the facts. It's easy to get flustered on a call. Email is better as you have a record. Follow up with a call to ensure they got the email if necessary

3. Write down what they say, and get a name

4. Get specifics. When and how they will resolve it

5. NEVER. Threaten on a first call. If you play the "If you don't do this I will blacken your name on social media" for example the response will always be "Go ahead". A company can't open the door.

6. Empathise. Understand their job and they will understand your feelings. Take the time to explain why you need the item by a certain date. It goes a long way.

7. If you don't get the answer you want politely ask to escalate to a manager.

8. Know your rights. Occassionally a company will try to duck liability if its expensive. I had an issue with a 3 year old tow bar, they tried to say it had a one year warranty. I politely but firmly told them the score, that I needed the tow bar sorting as we are touring, but if they told me there was no issue they would be liable for further damage, plus If they charged me then I would pay but immediately go legal to recover. They fixed it FOC.

Finally.

Don't get mad, get even. If you feel you are being shafted then learn your rights, learn the best way to approach them legally, and escalate the pressure. 90%+ companies will do a volte face if you are in the right . If ever you need help on this drop me a message or give me a call, I am always happy to help. Unless you are suing MTC, in which case ....

Just remember, the person at the other end has a set of rules they work to. They have limit, but they do have leeway and where you are in that leeway will depend on how much they like you !

Purely shooting, I have dealt with all the big companies for 20 years shooting wise and apart from Theoben I have found them pretty good to superb.

OK. Enough musing. Got to wipe my bum and go out.

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef
    That’s a brilliant post, Gary. The biggest piece of advice I was given some years ago when dealing with people?

“You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar”

Sometimes not so easy to do when you’re dealing with ‘some’ people but all in all I find it a better experience for all concerned. Make them your friend and you’ll get much much further

Excellent advice Gary - I deal with complaints as my day job and I agree that someone taking your call will be more inclined to help if they like you and as a result be more empathetic to your situation. We're all human at the end of the day and a little respect goes a long way.

Think of it this way, who would you be more inclined to help: someone screaming down the phone and talking over you or someone that understands your perspective and calmly explains their predicament to you?

John M

Great Post Gary C .
    atb brian

ps you are still Ugly!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brian747 View Post
    Great Post Gary C .
    atb brian

ps you are still Ugly!!!!!
    Cheeky bugger. You're so ugly you have to put meat around your neck to get the dog to lick your face... and too tight to buy the meat

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    which hand do you type with ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    which hand do you type with ?
    Two thumbs mate, time we shook hands again

PM me your number, will give you a bell for a catch up

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    Two thumbs mate, time we shook hands again

PM me your number, will give you a bell for a catch up
    will do, we'll "face" time...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hi All

I ran European support for a Multi national for 20 years, plus 12 years on and off with MTC. MTC have had a small issue with a supplier and ended up not being able to get end caps, promised 6x, shipment arrived, no end caps. This led to a lot of understandable frustration from our AND most importantly the customers point of view. I took the customer calls and mails. My way is a tad unorthodox, in that I just tell the customer the truth. I'd be pissed off if I was him, I am pissed off taking all the flak, here is what is happening, truth is we could be screwed again. Customer may not get a resolution but at least they get the truth. Best I can do. Most appreciated it and have been patient, issue now resolved. I've also had to contact a few companies recently with repair / warrant issues and have managed to obtain good service with a few simple methods

Here are a few dos and don'ts for getting the best service

FIRST call, assume success

1. Even if you are angry, calm down. Always be polite and respectful. If you do then you are making the CS person's day better and they will be more inclined to help

2. Write down the facts. It's easy to get flustered on a call. Email is better as you have a record. Follow up with a call to ensure they got the email if necessary

3. Write down what they say, and get a name

4. Get specifics. When and how they will resolve it

5. NEVER. Threaten on a first call. If you play the "If you don't do this I will blacken your name on social media" for example the response will always be "Go ahead". A company can't open the door.

6. Empathise. Understand their job and they will understand your feelings. Take the time to explain why you need the item by a certain date. It goes a long way.

7. If you don't get the answer you want politely ask to escalate to a manager.

8. Know your rights. Occassionally a company will try to duck liability if its expensive. I had an issue with a 3 year old tow bar, they tried to say it had a one year warranty. I politely but firmly told them the score, that I needed the tow bar sorting as we are touring, but if they told me there was no issue they would be liable for further damage, plus If they charged me then I would pay but immediately go legal to recover. They fixed it FOC.

Finally.

Don't get mad, get even. If you feel you are being shafted then learn your rights, learn the best way to approach them legally, and escalate the pressure. 90%+ companies will do a volte face if you are in the right . If ever you need help on this drop me a message or give me a call, I am always happy to help. Unless you are suing MTC, in which case ....

Just remember, the person at the other end has a set of rules they work to. They have limit, but they do have leeway and where you are in that leeway will depend on how much they like you !

Purely shooting, I have dealt with all the big companies for 20 years shooting wise and apart from Theoben I have found them pretty good to superb.

OK. Enough musing. Got to wipe my bum and go out.
    i always liked speaking to Sammie
    I wanna be the airgunbbs Model

Quote Originally Posted by woodmister View Post
    i always liked speaking to Sammie
    To be fair she always thought you were a nobber

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    To be fair she always thought you were a nobber
    Well, she should know - she married one....
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Well played Neil..

Well played
    I wanna be the airgunbbs Model

very good info

Quote Originally Posted by Neil. View Post
    Well, she should know - she married one....
    Indeed. Luckily she divorced him and married me