Thread: Has anyone seen a militia stamped lj ?

Has anyone seen a militia stamped lj ?

After all he sold them ...

Marked up on the stocks ??if so are they rare ?

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Yes l had one, which had H the Lincoln stamped on the barrel. and also the standing man stamped into the stock.

Any pictures ?

LJ.

Quote Originally Posted by let me shoot it View Post
    After all he sold them ...

Marked up on the stocks ??if so are they rare ?
    yes ive got one with no internals.Thinking of making a decent rifle out of two as it has a nice barrel and stock.

Quote Originally Posted by let me shoot it View Post
    Any pictures ?
    Hi sorry but l didn't take any.

Mine has the standing man (is it LJ himself I wonder?) on the right hand side of the stock. Also stamped into the same side is -
    REGISTERED
    LINCOLN JEFFRIES
    INVENTOR & PATENTEE

Further forward is stamped T.W.DAVIS, perhaps the name of the gun shop which sold this fine old lady.

Presumably, once his underlever rifles started to sell well, LJ stopped importing & selling them, so I often wonder just when this happened as it might then be able to put an approximate date on these LJ Militias?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mzee View Post
    Mine has the standing man (is it LJ himself I wonder?) on the right hand side of the stock. Also stamped into the same side is -
    REGISTERED
    LINCOLN JEFFRIES
    INVENTOR & PATENTEE

Further forward is stamped T.W.DAVIS, perhaps the name of the gun shop which sold this fine old lady.

Presumably, once his underlever rifles started to sell well, LJ stopped importing & selling them, so I often wonder just when this happened as it might then be able to put an approximate date on these LJ Militias?
    I have the same stock somewhere with the bloke and gun over his shoulder and writing impressed!

It could do with a refinish but the impression will be lost to sanding so i've left it, Not sure where it is at the moment!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Mzee View Post
    REGISTERED
    LINCOLN JEFFRIES
    INVENTOR & PATENTEE

I also have a Militta as above, with the LJ trademark and address impressed into the r/h side of the stock.
    I also have another German import break barrel by Langenhan that was retailed by LJ and has "H the Lincoln" stamped into the metalwork, and this has led me to ask here before if LJ stopped importing these when his first batch of under levers were released in 1905 also carrying "H the Lincoln" branding. I've been trying to find out if these LJ branded imports pre-dated his own 1st batch under lever rifles.

Clogger

Quote Originally Posted by CLOGGER View Post
    I also have a Militta as above, with the LJ trademark and address impressed into the r/h side of the stock.
    I also have another German import break barrel by Langenhan that was retailed by LJ and has "H the Lincoln" stamped into the metalwork, and this has led me to ask here before if LJ stopped importing these when his first batch of under levers were released in 1905 also carrying "H the Lincoln" branding. I've been trying to find out if these LJ branded imports pre-dated his own 1st batch under lever rifles.

Clogger
    l belive that LJ probley stoped buying in the Millita type airguns that he converted, to sell his own underlever rifles. l have one of his prototype rifles that is clearly made useing some of the Millita type parts. but l could be wrong, as he may have carried on selling them after he sold his pattent to BSA. but l am sure someone will come along with the right info.

Milita LJ

Yes I have one too, serial 13637, it has a cut down stock,so it only has “Lincoln” stamped on the comb of the stock next to the butt plate. Regards Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!