Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Results : Muscle Power League 2019, Autumn/Winter Series

Better late than never - I am charging my P70 cylinder so I can get started on the MPL Supported Air Rifle shooting tonight - shoulder to shoulder with Ray and Paul - just to make life more difficult as we raise the temperature and the levels of false praise and abuse etc.... It does nothing to improve the scores but it is entertaining!

We are running a little low on Air 7 air rifle targets, so I may dig-out an LP53 to see how I get on with it on our Air 6 pistol targets.

I will order another 3000 6 yard air rifle targets later this week from the NSRA so we have good stock held at the RMTC Club for future MPL use.

If I can get my new HW99S springer "sorted" and ready for action I can also shoot in the MPL rifle competition too!

Inspired by Rob, I need to get a shorter spring for it to lower the power and then stop the recently acquired Anschultz rear sight slipping by drilling and tapping a stop screw in the base.

The lower power should help to improve the rifle's target accuracy and reduce the recoil to help stop the diopter sight sliding rearwards too!
    Last edited by zooma; 02-10-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Bob,

I fitted a Wonky Donky 0.22" HW99 service kit to my 0.177" HW99S, and it made a hair under 10 ft.lb, and was very easy to cock & shoot.

If I hadn't been after ca. 11 ft.lb for some experiments I am doing, I would have left the '99S fitted with the WD kit

Oddly enough the 'low power' Maccari 'ARH' Indoor Plinkers kit (supposed to be ca. 6 - 7 ft.lb) also made a hair under 10 ft.lb in my '99S

I suspect that it was the ridiculously tight guide in the 'ARH' kit that made the spring stiffer than it should be - I think it reduced the effective length of the spring by a good couple of inches

https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com...88/1159287.htm

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Hello to All,

Scores updated Wednesday 20191002.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

I posted a short video of the shot cycle on a fb site the other day, of my self tuned 99, held one handed when fired the pellet doesn't fall off. If anyone knows how to post a vid on here i can send it to your mobile.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Bob,

I fitted a Wonky Donky 0.22" HW99 service kit to my 0.177" HW99S, and it made a hair under 10 ft.lb, and was very easy to cock & shoot.

If I hadn't been after ca. 11 ft.lb for some experiments I am doing, I would have left the '99S fitted with the WD kit

Oddly enough the 'low power' Maccari 'ARH' Indoor Plinkers kit (supposed to be ca. 6 - 7 ft.lb) also made a hair under 10 ft.lb in my '99S

I suspect that it was the ridiculously tight guide in the 'ARH' kit that made the spring stiffer than it should be - I think it reduced the effective length of the spring by a good couple of inches

https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com...88/1159287.htm

Have fun

Best regards

Russ
    Thanks Russ,

I have used a couple of Wonkies .22 drop-in kits on my .177 HW97K rifles when they were running a "little too hot" and it brought them down safely to a similar power to your '99S and similarly smooth.

Maybe I should try one of Daves .22 drop-in kits in my HW99S as it should give me a much smoother rifle and drop the power enough to help make it a better target rifle - as well as reducing the Anshultz diopter sights desire to attack my right eye whenever possible!!

Bob.
    Last edited by zooma; 05-10-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Hello to All,

Scores updated Sunday, 20191006.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Hello to All,

Scores updated Saturday, 20191012.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Thanks to Russ kindly sending me a shorter main spring I have been able to strip and rebuild my HW99S to shoot with less power to make it more suitable for 6 yard MPL target shooting.

When I tested the rifle with Meisterkugeln flat nosed pellets it was making 11.7 ft/lbs using the rifle weight pellets and 11.37 ft/lbs using the pistol weight pellets - a bit of a "pocket rocket"!

As the rifle was apart I cleaned all of the old grease out of it, removed the steel piston weight, fitted a top hat and shortened the HW spring guide and added an 8mm short stroke spacer to the front of the piston behind the seal. I rebuilt the rifle "almost dry" using tbt bumslide grease to stop any dieseling.

My rifle now shoots Meisterkugeln rifle pellets at 9.81 ft/lbs and the pistol weight MK pellets at 10.4 ft/lbs.

The lower power should be better suited to target shooting so I am looking forward to getting some more pellets shot through it to "bed it in" although the 20 shot string that i used for testing shows very little speed deviation between shots - so it is looking good!

As a matter of interest I noticed that before I lowered the power output the rifle made more power when using the rifle weight pellets, but after I had reduced the power it made more power with the pistol weight pellets!!!
    Last edited by zooma; 13-10-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Bob,

Very strange & beguiling are 'springers' and their tuning / optimization

Looks like you have a 'Goldilock's scenario with your TX

Perfect 'balance' looks to be in the 'middle' ground of the old spring & new spring.

I use the JSB trio of RS (7.33 gr.), Express (7.87 gr.), & Exact (8.46 gr.) for testing the 'balance' of my rifles.

I like the output from RS & Exact to be the same, with Express the same or slightly higher - e.g. my 22mm TX200 gives 11.0/11.1/11.0 ft.lb.

However, the 'balance' point occurs where it occurs and is a singular entity for a given set of innards (save spring compression).

There is no harm in ignoring 'balance' (providing it is not excessive) if you want a specific goal - e.g. reducing output for target use.

Your reduced output HW99S is fine

You often hear on the Forums the statement : if Light > Heavy, then Slamming, if Heavy > Light, then Bounce

In real life it is not so clear cut

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

The Goldilocks scenario to you mention just goes to show how things can sometimes come together well.

I noticed that somebody was advertising the sale of a nice walnut stocked .177 TX200 to fund the purchase of a compound archery bow - and I just happened to have a suitable compound bow that was not being used, so a swap was quickly agreed and both parties are happy with no cash changing hands.

The TX200 is not exactly a great choice for MPL shooting, but I have already shot it at 10 meters and it is a lovely smooth shooting rifle despite having a V-Mach 12 ft/lb tuning kit inside. It also came with all the original innards so I had the option of changing things if I want to in the future.

I was at the club when the swap was made so I only had the target pellets with me but the TX came with a tin of AA Diblao Filed so I did a string of 10 shots with each over the chrono.

10.57 ft/lbs with Meisterkugeln rifle weight, 11.74 ft/lbs with Meisterkugeln pistol weight and 11.56 ft/lbs with AA Field.

Shooting the lightweight HW99S and the full length TX200 alongside each other was an interesting experience as they felt completely different to each other but both demonstrated the fairly big power difference that can be found just by using different types of pellets, and in both cases the surprise for me was to find that the lightweight Meisterkugeln pistol pellets produced the most power in both rifles!!

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Bob,

Very strange & beguiling are 'springers' and their tuning / optimization

You often hear on the Forums the statement : if Light > Heavy, then Slamming, if Heavy > Light, then Bounce

Best regards

Russ

Maybe fitting the 8mm short stroke kit is causing a degree of "slamming" causing the lightweight pistol pellets to give more power than the heavier rifle weight pellets?

I have never thought about the reasons for pellet related "power balance" variations of any spring powered rifle before - another string to the dark art of tuning spring powered airguns!

Does clipping the white dot count as a 10, or do you have to cover it completely ?

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Does clipping the white dot count as a 10, or do you have to cover it completely ?
    That counts as a ten Rob, as we are inward scoring
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Many thanks, just got a magnifying class & could see i had clipped a couple, ah well iv'e just put Octobers scores in now,

Hello to All,

Scores updated Saturday, 20191019.

Rob has shot another spiffing score with his HW99S

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ