Thread: Aimed mostly at the journalistic type bods out there.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight

Aimed mostly at the journalistic type bods out there.....

But anyone else feel free to chip in.

I've been asked to do a talk on the history of airguns to our local archive group, which is fine, I'm reasonably equipped for that. I anticipate however the thornier side of our sport is likely to come up in discussion at some point.

I'd like to be prepared with some facts and figures to support everything positive about it. How many airgun users there are in the UK? How many hft / ft / 10mtr / bell target / bench rest shooters there are. If I've missed out any other disciplines let me know.

Any interesting snippets which I could include.

Will also post this on the agf.

Cheers

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Jolly good of you to take this on. With regard to the statistics, I do not remember seeing any figures for HFT / FT/ Bell Target shooters so a bit of guesstimation may be needed.
    Maybe start with the number of clubs in each discipline and multiply that figure by say 50 members to get a club membership, then double that figure to get an estimate of those actively engaged in the sport. Maybe bell target clubs have fewer members so adjust accordingly.
    This may give only a very rough estimate but I think it will be of the right magnitude. Unless there are more accurate figures available that is.
    Of course some people belong to more than one club but generally I tend to think the effect of this will not alter the results greatly. Maybe the result will give a figure accurate to +/- 50%? But it is a start.
    Plinkers are another matter and must run into thousands. How many people own an airgun as a % of population? 1%? I have no idea. Does the Gun Trades Association (do they still exist?) have figures on airgun sales?
    Hunters maybe another group but, I think, in a minority compared to club membership ... and bear in mind that many club members also hunt. Maybe take club membership and add 20% for those hunters who are not club members.
    Overall this approach may give an approximation. It is wide open to challenge but I think it can give a figure that puts airgun shooting numbers in perspective.
    I guess it all depends on how accurate you want the figures to be and how important they are to your talk.
    Good luck
    Cheers, Phil

This might be of interest to you.
    https://researchbriefings.parliament...mmary/CBP-7654

Quite intrigued by the numbers game. A quick search reveals about 37 HFT clubs and 71FT clubs in the UK, although some may combine both disciplines.
    Bell target surprised me as there seem to be approx 25 leagues each with maybe 8 teams each of maybe 8 shooters = 1600 shooters, not counting team members not shooting on the day. OK, great approximations again because the number of teams per league varies, but I used 8 as a workable guide.

Not sure about airgun clubs for 10m discipline; maybe somewhat less than for bell target.
    Cheers, Phil

Simple points to argue;
    What would the anti do if their house or garden became overrun with rats ? most would probably say, call 'rentokill' at which point you can argue the instant clean kill of a shot, verses the slow lingering death caused by poison.

Cats, of course you point out that's it's already illegal to shoot any pet & that often it's the retired house proud gardener type, trying to stop them sh*tting in their flower beds as opposed to some little thug.

Birds & animals, again the legal side of things, everything is protected unless on some form of general licence, But when it comes to vermin control some people will never be convinced there's a need to control/kill them, don't argue - simply agree they're entitled to their opinion but state the law has a different opinion & as with rats a quick clean kill is better than a slow lingering one.

The easiest anti licencing argument is the comparison with un-licenced/un-insured drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Simple points to argue;
    What would the anti do if their house or garden became overrun with rats ? most would probably say, call 'rentokill' at which point you can argue the instant clean kill of a shot, verses the slow lingering death caused by poison.

Cats, of course you point out that's it's already illegal to shoot any pet & that often it's the retired house proud gardener type, trying to stop them sh*tting in their flower beds as opposed to some little thug.

Birds & animals, again the legal side of things, everything is protected unless on some form of general licence, But when it comes to vermin control some people will never be convinced there's a need to control/kill them, don't argue - simply agree they're entitled to their opinion but state the law has a different opinion & as with rats a quick clean kill is better than a slow lingering one.

The easiest anti licencing argument is the comparison with un-licenced/un-insured drivers.
    All the above are valid as far as they go; but you must be prepared to defend your point of view:
    Rats: Yes, shooting is a good option but as far as real control in a domestic situation goes I suggest it is not a complete answer. Poison bait traps can be set and left and judging by the number I see around buildings (e.g. B&Q, a local hospice) they are the means of control favoured by pest controllers. I suggest shooting is not the diy option available to the vast majority of people.
    Cats: Is there any evidence to support that it is mostly retired people who shoot cats rather than youngsters? My opinion, for what it is worth, is that it is most likely the tennage thug, but I have no evidence. Just stress it is already illegal to shoot cats and do not dilute your argument by stating facts you cannot support. Or can you ....

General licence ... agree, that is the best stance, maybe stressing public health issues, contaminated grain etc, magpies and attacks on new borne lambs etc.

Cheers, Phil

The Austrians defeated the French in the 18th century with air rifles!

Number of clubs, plus Army Cadets still using them.

Responsible use of.
    Safey drills including a safe range with backstop.
    Marksmanship, no one is born a Davey Crockett, its a learnt skill like riding a bicycle.

Hunting only once the basics have been mastered.
    Y tube has the good and the bad. Different countries have different power limitds and different attitudes.

With all school presentations keep it straight forward and broken into distinct chunks. All too easy to get into a rambling mess. Questions at the end.

What everyone really wants is to have a go!

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post

I've been asked to do a talk on the history of airguns to our local archive group, which is fine, I'm reasonably equipped for that. I anticipate however the thornier side of our sport is likely to come up in discussion at some point.

I'd like to be prepared with some facts and figures to support everything positive about it. How many airgun users there are in the UK? How many hft / ft / 10mtr / bell target / bench rest shooters there are. If I've missed out any other disciplines let me know.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave.

As per Melbourne's village idiot's suggestion, an email to Terry could be your easiest way of obtaining facts and figures.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Dave.

As per Melbourne's village idiot's suggestion, an email to Terry could be your easiest way of obtaining facts and figures.

All the best Mick
    You're probably right, I thought he might chip in on here.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

You're probably right, I thought he might chip in on here.

Dave
    I'll give him a little nudge for you, Dave.

All the best, Mick

Tanks.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Evening all.

I saw T20's 'nudge' about 12 seconds ago, hence being late to the party.

Anyway, Dave, can you call me at the office tomorrow morning - 01189 742 511, anytime between 07.30 and midday - and I'll talk you through some stuff, mate. Have notepad and expertly-licked pencil at the ready.

Laters.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Cheers

Dave
    Great project Dave, wish you all the best Mate.

Gwyn
    Seize the Day! Quigley Hollow is a great place to start.