Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1970s Walther LGV Olympia

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    If the pegs were spring loaded, wouldn't they stick out a bit too far and hit the top edge of the jaws when you locked up the barrel?
    hence my question about them being centrally retained - and they also need to be profiled, or a profile milled into the breach jaws, so they tighten up / get pushed inwards as the breech is shut... but it looks like they are fixed, so just a red herring...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

LGV barrel lock up

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    hence my question about them being centrally retained - and they also need to be profiled, or a profile milled into the breach jaws, so they tighten up / get pushed inwards as the breech is shut... but it looks like they are fixed, so just a red herring...
    The fork in the cylinder's end through which the breech block swings, is effectively wider at the top than it is at the bottom. I measured mine and it results that the top opening is 17.96mm and the bottom is narrower at 17.50mm.
    So those two solid pins protruding slightly in the block, serve to lock (wedge)the barrel securely in a keystone fashion and eliminate any side to side movement. The detent takes care of any up and down movement. I find Walther's system better to break open the barrel since no slapping on the barrel is involved.

The inclusion of the two pins is a simple but highly effective solution to eliminate barrel side play. I suspect each gun's lock-up was fettled by hand to achieve this perfect lock up because if the pins were too wide by a tiny amount, the breech block would not close closely enough to the transfer port resulting in a leak past the O ring. On the other hand if they were slightly too narrow, they would be ineffective for their purpose and the barrel would close like any normal break barrel without the enhanced lock-up. So they had to be just right.
    Last edited by dvd; 19-08-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    The fork in the cylinder's end through which the breech block swings, is effectively wider at the top than it is at the bottom. I measured mine and it results that the top opening is 17.96mm and the bottom is narrower at 17.50mm.
    So those two solid pins protruding slightly in the block, serve to lock (wedge)the barrel securely in a keystone fashion and eliminate any side to side movement. The detent takes care of any up and down movement. I find Walther's system better to break open the barrel since no slapping on the barrel is involved.

The inclusion of the two pins is a simple but highly effective solution to eliminate barrel side play. I suspect each gun's lock-up was fettled by hand to achieve this perfect lock up because if the pins were too wide by a tiny amount, the breech block would not close closely enough to the transfer port resulting in a leak past the O ring. On the other hand if they were slightly too narrow, they would be ineffective for their purpose and the barrel would close like any normal break barrel without the enhanced lock-up. So they had to be just right.
    What incredible workmanship. The ultimate in break-barrel accuracy!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    Hi Mike,
    Are you sure about the pegs being spring loaded as I have checked some of mine and they are all fixed hardened steel pegs?

===========
    Frank
    Frank, you are quite correct as usual. I was guilty of trusting my shaky memory instead of actually looking at a rifle!

It looks like they are fixed and stand just barely proud of the breech block sides.

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    Frank, you are quite correct as usual. I was guilty of trusting my shaky memory instead of actually looking at a rifle!

It looks like they are fixed and stand just barely proud of the breech block sides.
    Don't worry Mike, we are all getting old and shaky. LOL

=================
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post

That is a brilliant observation! Thanks much for that.