Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1970s Walther LGV Olympia

1970s Walther LGV Olympia

Nice...
    I really like their articles, that’s where I found out about the FWB110.

A club member just bought a later LGV, says there’s some play in the barrel.
    He’s going to try a new breech seal, I haven’t seen it yet. Lovely rifles.

Anyone know if the barrel latch is adjustable? My HW55t can be tightened up a smidge.

We’ve started a bit of a classic 10 metre springer renaissance at our club, a couple of tyrolean LG55’s, this lad’s LGV, and I’ve got a few of them now, I’m a big fan of the genre.

Matt.

The Olympia is a 1960s rifle.

I think the breach lever lock might be self-adjusting for wear - at least up and down wear?

I wonder if the earlier LGVs did develop breach play and this was fixed in later models? I once had a later LGV-Spezial which I think had hardened pegs built into the barrel breach, and presumably something similar set into the jaws? Not sure.

I sold it to Bob (Zooma) so he could inspect it, perhaps.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

My memory on the LGV-S breach may be faulty because I looked through the gallery and this is a pic of what I meant - but it's on an LGV Olympia, so not a later innovation at all...

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Really enjoy TG's blog and he has the habit of testing my favourite guns. Those old Walthers are superb.

Barrel play

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Nice...
    I really like their articles, that’s where I found out about the FWB110.

A club member just bought a later LGV, says there’s some play in the barrel.
    He’s going to try a new breech seal, I haven’t seen it yet. Lovely rifles.

Anyone know if the barrel latch is adjustable? My HW55t can be tightened up a smidge.

We’ve started a bit of a classic 10 metre springer renaissance at our club, a couple of tyrolean LG55’s, this lad’s LGV, and I’ve got a few of them now, I’m a big fan of the genre.

Matt.
    What occasionally happens with the Walthers (53,55 and lgv) is the barrel axis screw is broken.
    This creates a small amount of play ....
    The screw is drilled and slotted at the opposite end for the retainig screw and that creates a weak point.
    Simple solution, buy a new one.😊

================
    Frank

Some of mine.

==============
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    What occasionally happens with the Walthers (53,55 and lgv) is the barrel axis screw is broken.
    This creates a small amount of play ....
    The screw is drilled and slotted at the opposite end for the retainig screw and that creates a weak point.
    Simple solution, buy a new one.😊

================
    Frank
    Cheers,
    He’s bringing it to the club tomorrow so we'll take it apart and have a look.
    I’ve got a LG55 breech seal for it as he said the old one was nearly flat.

Very nice collection of LGV’s btw

Matt

Not comparable with Frank's collection, of course, but these were my LGVs back in the day:

From the top LGV Spezial, LGV Spezial Junior, LGV Tyrolean, LGV DST (double set trigger)

Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

I think the breach lever lock might be self-adjusting for wear - at least up and down wear?

I wonder if the earlier LGVs did develop breach play and this was fixed in later models? I once had a later LGV-Spezial which I think had hardened pegs built into the barrel breach, and presumably something similar set into the jaws? Not sure.

I sold it to Bob (Zooma) so he could inspect it, perhaps.
    Correct on both counts:
    1. The LGV/LGV Spezial locking lever is self adjusting. It works on the principle that the engagement angle is very “flat,” i.e. nearly parallel to the gun’s horizontal axis, and thus at such a mechanical disadvantage that tapping the barrel cannot dislodge it. It’s actually the same principle as the ancient HW 35 design, though the LGV’s neat separate actuating lever allows a much stouter spring to be used on the detent, than when pulling straight against it as with the 35.

This breech design allowed the LGV to use a much heavier barrel weight sleeve than the previous LG 55, helping to keep Walther competitive with competing recoilless designs.

The HW 55 barrel latch is a very different design, a separate rotating cam that engages a tilt-adjustable seat bar in the breech. The gun actually has two breech latches, a small auto-latch in the standing breech holding the barrel whilst the “real” lock is actuated.

2. Both the LGV and LGV Spezial have the neat spring-loaded pegs in the sides of the breech block, an ingenious way to work around side play in the joint.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post

2. Both the LGV and LGV Spezial have the neat spring-loaded pegs in the sides of the breech block, an ingenious way to work around side play in the joint.
    ahh - so they are spring loaded - that makes more sense... I wonder if I could implement that on a couple of other break-barrels - just need some space to work with, and a mechanism of centrally retaining - how did Walther achieve the rentention as the pegs must be somewhat free to move ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

spring loaded pegs

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    Correct on both counts:
    1. The LGV/LGV Spezial locking lever is self adjusting. It works on the principle that the engagement angle is very “flat,” i.e. nearly parallel to the gun’s horizontal axis, and thus at such a mechanical disadvantage that tapping the barrel cannot dislodge it. It’s actually the same principle as the ancient HW 35 design, though the LGV’s neat separate actuating lever allows a much stouter spring to be used on the detent, than when pulling straight against it as with the 35.

This breech design allowed the LGV to use a much heavier barrel weight sleeve than the previous LG 55, helping to keep Walther competitive with competing recoilless designs.

The HW 55 barrel latch is a very different design, a separate rotating cam that engages a tilt-adjustable seat bar in the breech. The gun actually has two breech latches, a small auto-latch in the standing breech holding the barrel whilst the “real” lock is actuated.

Hi Mike,
    Are you sure about the pegs being spring loaded as I have checked some of mine and they are all fixed hardened steel pegs?

===========
    Frank

If the pegs were spring loaded, wouldn't they stick out a bit too far and hit the top edge of the jaws when you locked up the barrel?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Hello to All,

The pegs in my LGV Olympia look to be fixed.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    You are of course right, and I should have known/remembered that.