Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated followers of Fashion ...

Over time I have seen alot of exotic rifles get more and more popular, had few myself but what I have seen that if you haven't got the talent it shows no matter what gun you have. It's true that you can pay for consistency and that's all a good shooter needs. Hft and ft are completely different but it doesn't state on what make and model you can and can't use in both disciplines so use what ever you want as long as it's sub 12ftlb

I believe to a degree, yes you can. As long as you get the best out of your purchase.
    Good example would be scopes, I prefer quality glass over mega magnification.
    Fellow shooters have had Tasco, Nikko mega scopes but they never look in focus to me.
    I prefer the image to be crystal clear. Is stick to no more than 24-32x Scopes.
    I used a Weaver Scope for HFT as out of all the scopes I looked at, it had the longest depth of field so was clear from close to 40 yards.
    I had it set like most to be just going out of focus at 45 yards.
    I believe where a lot of people go wrong is they tinker too much, because its there, it must be played with...
    Anything that can consistently group half inch groups at 50 yards is good enough, would spending 2k on the latest rifle that looks like a meccano set and all the latest trickery built, make you a better shot probably not, might it be more ergonomically suited to you yes, placebo effect too...yes.
    I started FT properly with a very rare Theoben 17 FT, after a few years I had it serviced by Ben Taylor and built a regulator for it.
    Did it improve my groups or scores, I don't think so, It gave me 350 shots per charge which let me practice easier.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Some data...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    No, not the Kinks version but just a casual observation made over the past few months. Is there a dedicated rise in the use of Steyr and Anschutz rifles in HFT this year? Just seems that many people are sporting new rifles from these makers .... Is someone offering blisteringly good deals on them?
    Cheers, Phil
    Phil

As you say "a small sample size", here is some data from the worlds where rifle manufacturer is logged in the OPEN section:

https://sites.google.com/site/whfta1...s/2018-results

And the UKAHFT series where they have manufacturer teams as an indication:

https://www.sites.google.com/site/ukahft/results/2018

Admittedly this doesn't show what rifles are used week in week out at the grass roots shoots but down here in deepest darkest Sussex ISP are the latest must have
    ..."My son," said the Norman Baron...."The Saxon is not like us Normans. His manners are not so polite. But he never means anything serious till he talks about justice and right"...

Quote Originally Posted by Lol Moore View Post
    Phil

As you say "a small sample size", here is some data from the worlds where rifle manufacturer is logged in the OPEN section:

Admittedly this doesn't show what rifles are used week in week out at the grass roots shoots but down here in deepest darkest Sussex ISP are the latest must have
    Fascinating information, thank you.
    Cheers, Phil

One major thing with using a dedicated target rifle is the adjustable for fit. HFT has shots up/down, around trees and uneven ground with kill sizes down to 15mm (8mm if you shoot an Emley Extreme). If you have an elevated 15mm kill at say 25 yards and you don't have a good fit then you will miss due to induced parallax error or poor cheek weld. Steyrs/Anschutz and the other target rifles...and ahem, not FT rifles as they were all originally converted 10m rifles, are adjustable in so many ways that they should fit every shooter. Also take into account that amongst the HFT community there are some very knowledgable shooters that can sort out a problem on the spot, worth it's weight in gold if you've just travelled 5 hours to a shoot. Don't get me wrong HFT has seen an 'arms race' in the past 15 years as it's got more popular....it's only to be expected.

BTW....HFT was never intended to be a hunting simulation. The only reason a lot of 'hunter' type rifles were used in the early years is because that's what most of the shooters trying out the sport had. I have 2 Steyrs , one 17 and one 16 years old and i've used a Steyr for HFT for well over a decade now.

Edit - my HFT Steyr has taken so many rooks, squizzers and pigeons that i've lost count.
    Last edited by ChrisC; 19-08-2019 at 06:07 AM.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Folowing on from the post above from Lol Moore which gives a link to the WHFTA results / entry list 2019 and make of rifles used, I have been looking at the info in more detail. I will not comment on 'recoiling' rifles because it is clear that Air Arms and Weihrauch dominate.
    In the pcp class, which I assumed all the Open entries fell into, there are some interesting trends over the past few of years:

% in OPEN CLASS WHFTA
    2009 2017 2018 2019
    Air Arms 34 34 33 36
    Anschutz 0 2 8 6
    BSA 2 4 6 8
    Daystate 36 13 7 7
    ISP 0 1 3 2
    Steyr 10 30 31 39
    Walther 5 9 8 6
    Weihrauch 6 8 4 6

I hope you can follow the table .. row positions changed a little. The columns are for % rifles used by manufacturer for 2009, 2017, 2018 and expected 2019. They show that Air Arms are running steadily at an overall approx 33% of rifles used. Anschutz are in the ascendency, as are BSA. Daystate, however, seem to be in a bit of a decline since 2009 while Steyr are growing to offer a real challenge to Air Arms. I suggest that Walther and Weihrauch are pretty stable. A key question is whether Steyr and Anschutz are grabbing share from the likes of Daystate, Walther and Weihrauch. Only time will tell.

Of course, these data are from a quite select group and could change if a full survey of all clubs was made in order to catch people not entering the Worlds. Nevertheless, they tell an interesting story.

For more data, have a look at the Worlds summary pages. They tell a fascinating story, paticularly when you look at the average scores produced by different makes.
    Cheers, Phil

Daystates have really fallen out of favour Phil....why? I personally think they are over priced rubbish that hold form over function. It's not just in HFT, also on the FT circuit too.

I will add a caveat though in defence of Daystates. I was sponsored by Daystate for a while and shot a Platinum. The Platinum was one of the most accurate rifles i've ever owned but i would always be 2 shots down in a comp compared to using a Steyr. The platinum just didn't like being rested against pegs or trees.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Daystates have really fallen out of favour Phil....why? I personally think they are over priced rubbish that hold form over function. It's not just in HFT, also on the FT circuit too.

I will add a caveat though in defence of Daystates. I was sponsored by Daystate for a while and shot a Platinum. The Platinum was one of the most accurate rifles i've ever owned but i would always be 2 shots down in a comp compared to using a Steyr. The platinum just didn't like being rested against pegs or trees.
    Hi Chris,
    I believe i remember you turning up on the FT NEFTA scene with your STEYR.
    Could have even been Hull, just a field with scaffolding erected to mount targets to, terrible course, never went back.
    I have a question though, is it the STEYR that has made you the shooter you are, or practice and consistency with the same kit, over and over, learning your craft, what the wind does to your POI, humidity, what the temperature does to your rifle and scope bla bla bla.
    One of my favourite rifles is my Avatar, Ripley XL1, in a Paul Wilson stock with a bench rest Leo on top, but I am a more consistent shooter with my old favourite that I have had over 20 years.
    VAYA CON DIOS

And steyrs ain't? I have had Steyr and honestly are no better than a properly set up daystate. It's the shooter that makes the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye20 View Post
    And steyrs ain't? I have had Steyr and honestly are no better than a properly set up daystate. It's the shooter that makes the difference
    Erm, the stats don't lie. Target shooters need accuracy and consistency and you don't see many Daystates on either the FT or HFT circuits. I agree that shooting skill will always shine through but it shines much brighter with the right kit.

I've been comp shooting a long time and owned so many rifles that i truly can't remember how many it would be ...maybe easily into the 3-400's.

Do you own Daystates?
    Last edited by ChrisC; 19-08-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    Hi Chris,
    I believe i remember you turning up on the FT NEFTA scene with your STEYR.
    Could have even been Hull, just a field with scaffolding erected to mount targets to, terrible course, never went back.
    I have a question though, is it the STEYR that has made you the shooter you are, or practice and consistency with the same kit, over and over, learning your craft, what the wind does to your POI, humidity, what the temperature does to your rifle and scope bla bla bla.
    One of my favourite rifles is my Avatar, Ripley XL1, in a Paul Wilson stock with a bench rest Leo on top, but I am a more consistent shooter with my old favourite that I have had over 20 years.
    Yep...blimey that was a few years ago now. The windy field with the scaffold tower target that you needed to aim into another postcode to have a chance. Knowing your kit inside out is very important.

Erm, the stats don't lie. Target shooters need accuracy and consistency and you don't see many Daystates on either the FT or HFT circuits. I agree that shooting skill will always shine through but it shines much brighter with the right kit.

I've been comp shooting a long time and owned so many rifles that i truly can't remember how many it would be ...maybe easily into the 3-400's.

Do you own Daystates?
    I have been in comp shooting for over 20 years now, yes I do own daystate and have had plenty in my time and all of them have won competitions. Who knows why daystate are not really used anymore but who cares, people can use what they want it doesn't make them any better. Atb

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    I used an Anschutz 2002 for HFT in 2005-people would point at me and make comments like: "We don't agree with using' FT rifles for 'Unter shoots" or "it's cheatin' using' FT rifles for HFT".

How times have changed Phil!
    Well they are idiots then. I had a Steyr LG100FT and I hated it for HFT. FT yeah I get it but HFT isnt good with big heavy rigs and freehand shooting for me.

The best gun... now you can sort out stock and reg them is the S200 imho. I love small light guns.

If you want to gerbil it and adj the cheekpeice and butt and ..... then fine. The Bog Standard S200 ... or indeed pretty much any rig ... is very capable nowadays. In the average shooters hands... the spend will make little difference.

If you want to pay more for that extra bit of precision engineering then go ahead. I have seen many expensive rigs blown out of the water by a 'lesser gun' when shot by a person with ability.

Money doesnt make a lot of difference in HFT when the pilot is shit.

FT... yeah.... the scope pays you back if you spend on better precision for the range finding.... but HFT, a 2k scope isnt really going to bring a huge amount to the party
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Lol Moore View Post
    Phil

Interesting stats, thanks.

On bigger HFT comps I’ve noticed almost a quarter of the competitors are using Steyr’s and Walther’s. (Tuned HW97k for me)
    No Feinwerkbau’s though. None mentioned on the above stats either. Seeing as they are well represented in the target shooting world and they do a 12ftlbs FT version I’m surprised.
    Any idea why?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Interesting stats, thanks.

On bigger HFT comps I’ve noticed almost a quarter of the competitors are using Steyr’s and Walther’s. (Tuned HW97k for me)
    No Feinwerkbau’s though. None mentioned on the above stats either. Seeing as they are well represented in the target shooting world and they do a 12ftlbs FT version I’m surprised.
    Any idea why?

Matt
    Mud.
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter