Thread: 12 bore light loads

12 bore light loads

Hi

Advice needed,after a light load for a 10 year old, 21 gram standard factory still too punchy combined with a single barrel 12 bore weighing 5kg! so thinking of going down the reloading road thanks G

Get some bore reducers and let him shoot 28ga out of the 12ga.

Quote Originally Posted by greg12 View Post
    Hi

Advice needed,after a light load for a 10 year old, 21 gram standard factory still too punchy combined with a single barrel 12 bore weighing 5kg! so thinking of going down the reloading road thanks G
    5Kg? That's approximately twice the weight of a standard game gun. Are you sure its the recoil that is bothering you son/daughter or the weight of the gun? If the youngster starts off bad they may turn their back on shooting altogether. Personally I would opt for a cheap 20 bore. Once they take to that and gain more experience, and grow a bit, they can move onto a 12 bore later.
    Or, what Aris said, use a reducer but even then I think the weight of the gun will be a problem.

Re other question about reloading, try this place they have a selection of reloading machines.:-

https://www.claygame.co.uk/

Personally, I'm not impressed with MEC. Posness Warren are good but pricey. I have never used the Lee one but I think they are cheap enough to get you into reloading.

Atb.

I have a set of 12-28 reducers from an American company who do not seem to be around any more - GaugeMate - and I have shot 16g 28ga loads in it and you feel absolutely nothing. My personal opinion 28g is the best match next to a 12ga. You can get 28ga loads up to 28g if needed, and there is no chance of a 28ga cartridge finding its way into the breech of a 12ga like a 20ga cartridge might do (28ga just falls right through). The only downside - 28ga are a bit pricey compared to 12 or 20 - but are far superior to .410.

There are a few companies who make gauge reducers - have a google.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    5Kg? That's approximately twice the weight of a standard game gun. Are you sure its the recoil that is bothering you son/daughter or the weight of the gun? If the youngster starts off bad they may turn their back on shooting altogether. Personally I would opt for a cheap 20 bore. Once they take to that and gain more experience, and grow a bit, they can move onto a 12 bore later.
    Or, what Aris said, use a reducer but even then I think the weight of the gun will be a problem.

Re other question about reloading, try this place they have a selection of reloading machines.:-

https://www.claygame.co.uk/

Personally, I'm not impressed with MEC. Posness Warren are good but pricey. I have never used the Lee one but I think they are cheap enough to get you into reloading.

Atb.
    Thanks for replies,typeo gun weighs 5LB