Thread: Leupold VX Freedom anyone?

Leupold VX Freedom anyone?

I've been mulling over a temporary change of allegiance from Hawke to something slightly different and so casting an eye on these, especially the rim fire models in 33 mm and 40 mm with MOA reticles.

https://www.leupold.com/product-series/vx-freedom

I'm noticing that the rimfire models are focused for 60 yards and wondered; are these an easy re-parallax down to a lower yardage and what is the glass like in comparison to say the 1" Airmax or Vantage etc. I am unable to view in person but can buy on approval so to speak.

They will be used for air on my garden range which just manages 25 yards, barn work, and rimfire lightweight sport rifle competition at 20 yards.

Thank You.

I have a couple of their 3-9 40 scopes
    Around £250.

The glass is exceptional.
    I have no problems on my 80 yard range.

You need to get used to hitting the target without the close up view of a cheaper AR scope.
    Which is a bit surprising at long range.

I have got one of these, fixed 3-9x40 with the rimfire ret. I reset the parallax to 25yds and it is on my springer that I use for HFT.

The turret adjustments are nothing like the quality of a more expensive Leupold but the glass is great.

IMO I think it would be a good scope for the type of shooting you want to do with it.

Leupold

I have the freedom 3-9 x 33 EFR. Pa down to about 4 yrds. Expensive but good. Mach 1.5

I have a number of older Leups. I am a great fan. They are all excellent.

Evening Dave

Eye relief on these can be a bit ify. Can you try them out first?

MTC scopes were more suited to my eyes than Leups.

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    I have got one of these, fixed 3-9x40 with the rimfire ret. I reset the parallax to 25yds and it is on my springer that I use for HFT.

The turret adjustments are nothing like the quality of a more expensive Leupold but the glass is great.

IMO I think it would be a good scope for the type of shooting you want to do with it.
    Thanks. Was that the usual fix for the parallax, just carefully remove the trim ring them bring the lens carrier forward a tad until it's where you want it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    I have the freedom 3-9 x 33 EFR. Pa down to about 4 yrds. Expensive but good. Mach 1.5
    Thanks. Yes, I took note of this model too, as you say though it's half as much again but as is oft quoted; buying twice.....

Quote Originally Posted by adiepie View Post
    Evening Dave

Eye relief on these can be a bit ify. Can you try them out first?

MTC scopes were more suited to my eyes than Leups.

Adrian
    Hello Adie, I'm unable to locally try before I buy, unless you know different? My usual place does do no quibble returns though and have assisted in the past with items. When you say the eye relief is or can be iffy; is it all over the place at different power settings or, unusually long/short or, head / eye placement sensitive to get the correct picture.

Thanks one and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post

Hello Adie, I'm unable to locally try before I buy, unless you know different? My usual place does do no quibble returns though and have assisted in the past with items. When you say the eye relief is or can be iffy; is it all over the place at different power settings or, unusually long/short or, head / eye placement sensitive to get the correct picture.

Thanks one and all.
    it was head placement - just couldn't get a decent picture. When I traded it in, Swillingtons commented that I wasn't unique... This was a VX-1 however, they may have improved?

Optics Warehouse does a full satisfaction exchange guarantee

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

Quote Originally Posted by adiepie View Post
    it was head placement - just couldn't get a decent picture. When I traded it in, Swillingtons commented that I wasn't unique... This was a VX-1 however, they may have improved?

Optics Warehouse does a full satisfaction exchange guarantee

Adrian
    Thanks again, that's what I wondered. I usually buy from Uttings and on the one occasion that I had an issue with a scope they bent over backwards to put it right, even refunded my return postage.

Okay, if no-one else chips in I will wait until they have come back into stock again and take a punt.

Leupolds have always had longer eye relief than is usual. Typically from 3.5 to a bit over 4 inches (this varies a bit across variable mag ranges, all do, not just Leups). Many other brands are more like 3”.

4” eye relief is a good thing on a powerful light centrefire hunting rifle, though a bit irrelevant on an air rifle.

The only problem is if the rails on the air rifle don’t let a standard mount position the scope far forward enough to give full eye relief. I have mounted Leups on HW77s, Webley Longbow, Tomahawk, Xocet (yes, seriously), BSA Supersport (ditto), Theoben Sirocco and a few others over the years. Never had that problem, though some of my Leups have been mounted about as far forward as they could go.

Longer eye relief also correlates, all other things being equal (they usually aren’t) with slightly less field of view. Again, I have not found this a problem in the slightest. Even if it is, it is an issue worth having in exchange for Leupold optics, construction, and lifetime any-owner warranty.

For the cost of a couple of gallons of fuel I'd say drive to somewhere you can get your eye to a variety of scopes, don't rely on a name or what anyone else thinks.
    The problem with buying on line is that once it's finally delivered you're so excited to receive it you subconsciously overlook issues which in a couple of weeks can drive you mad.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    For the cost of a couple of gallons of fuel I'd say drive to somewhere you can get your eye to a variety of scopes, don't rely on a name or what anyone else thinks.
    The problem with buying on line is that once it's finally delivered you're so excited to receive it you subconsciously overlook issues which in a couple of weeks can drive you mad.
    Totally agree sir, though checking with shops which you might call within a couple of hours drive draws a blank for this particular model, 2-7x33 rimfire, and I would not wish for a retailer to get one in especially for me for it all to fall through.

I've done some more research and it does seem that the model I'm drawn to, (typical), is rather sensitive to head/eye position and has broad range of eye relief depending on magnification setting.

It could well work out that the little Hawke presently in use remains my first choice, hey ho.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Good advice !

When I'm in the market for a scope, I like to try to view scopes or binoculars at Game Fairs if possible by visiting the various manufacturers stands. That dosent always give a good idea as you're normally viewing in broad daylight and may not show up the qualities of the glass say in a dawn/dusk low light situation.
    However its a good indicator and better than purchasing a scope without trying first.
    “An airgun or two”………

Bear in mind that most, if not all Leupold scopes are designed for cartridge rifles and not air rifles. Therefore the scope may not offer enough turret adjustment to accommodate pellet drop, particularly in .22 calibre.