Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found in a SKIP (yesterday!)..... HAENEL Model 10 or 'X'

Found in a SKIP (yesterday!)..... HAENEL Model 10 or 'X'

Sitting in traffic and just happened to glance into a skip out of boredom to see the end of the stock poking out of a pile of rubbish. Parked. Jogged back...
    ...and look what i found. Please correct me if I am wrong, but from checking through Garvin's vintage gallery this is a HAENEL Model 10 as denoted by the X stamped on the top of the barrel, and circa 1931'ish?

So whistling a merry tune I nipped down to the workshop at home, whipped out the wire wool and WD40, sanded back the stock. And an hour later the transformation (with a few drops of Tru Oil) is complete. And best of all, she works! Complete with the little barrel insert you remove and load before cocking, and happily spitting out .177 consistantly enough to put a very big smile on my face. So NOT just a wall-hanger.

Have no idea how to strip down further as a lot of rivets in place, but I don't believe anything else is required. The screws you can see on the side are for undoing the retainer pins relating to the 'wire rod' internals used to cock the action. Gubbins inside seems remarkably good order. Smooth not 'gronchy' when you cock, and complete enough not to warrant changing anything.

...pics to follow (just wrestling with Photobucket as can't remember which bit i copy)

Here we go:

BEFORE:

and AFTER:

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Yes, that happened to be my skip and I had just left the gun there while I went off to buy some pellets. Can I have it back please?

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Yes, that happened to be my skip and I had just left the gun there while I went off to buy some pellets. Can I have it back please?
    How dreadful for you. Don't worry - I've put it straight back (having realised my mistake) for you to pick up. I also banged on the door of your house to let your 'partner' know it was there as you weren't in, and I wanted to check the skip wasn't due to go from your driveway as it is quite full. He seemed a little confused.... but my word - he's quite a muscular lad!

Is that exactly the same rifle as the Diana No 1? Certainly looks very similar.

Skip diving. Love it.

Never been as lucky as you though. Nice find!

Now that is what I call a find. How could someone throw that out? Well actually, thinking about, my wife would.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    How dreadful for you. Don't worry - I've put it straight back (having realised my mistake) for you to pick up. I also banged on the door of your house to let your 'partner' know it was there as you weren't in, and I wanted to check the skip wasn't due to go from your driveway as it is quite full. He seemed a little confused.... but my word - he's quite a muscular lad!
    Many thanks for that and for cleaning it up. As far as my "partner" is concerned he seems to have taken quite a shine to the attractive gent with the honest touch who called, and would like to to PM him with a view to getting to know him better.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Many thanks for that and for cleaning it up. As far as my "partner" is concerned he seems to have taken quite a shine to the attractive gent with the honest touch who called, and would like to to PM him with a view to getting to know him better.
    enough...
    ...i'm blushing.

Just an update on my previous notes above when i was referring to 'accuracy'. Obviously it isn't - but it STILL brings a smile to my face everytime it delivers a pellet to roughly the location of the target. it is a toy, quaint and endearing, and this is the first time i have EVER found anything i actually wanted in a skip!!!

Can I be cheeky and ask if you got the house holders permission to take it?....just wondering about the legal side of it all as I thought taking from skips without permission is theft.
    Not trying to start an argument but if it is classed as such then maybe posting on an open forum is not such a good idea....nice find btw.
    Smile!...today is the day you worried about yesterday. :-)

Supanova II Weymouth....http://www.supanova-charters.co.uk/

As the person who put it in a skip committed an offence by not ensuring the gun was beyond reach of unauthorised users (a kid could just as easily have taken it) I don't think it would be wise of them to complain

Quote Originally Posted by weebster View Post
    Can I be cheeky and ask if you got the house holders permission to take it?....just wondering about the legal side of it all as I thought taking from skips without permission is theft.
    Not trying to start an argument but if it is classed as such then maybe posting on an open forum is not such a good idea....nice find btw.
    and the act of throwing a firarm in a skip where kids can get hold of it aint? yes the police still see this peeshooter as a firearm! i suspect they were clearing out a house they just bought and thought it was a toy gun.but plod would not view it lightly if they found it there. well done to the op for the find. enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by distantcamera View Post
    As the person who put it in a skip committed an offence by not ensuring the gun was beyond reach of unauthorised users (a kid could just as easily have taken it) I don't think it would be wise of them to complain
    Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    and the act of throwing a firarm in a skip where kids can get hold of it aint? yes the police still see this peeshooter as a firearm! i suspect they were clearing out a house they just bought and thought it was a toy gun.but plod would not view it lightly if they found it there. well done to the op for the find. enjoy.
    Hmm,doesn't really answer my question and although a very valid point I'm not sure it would suffice as a defence....not that any defence will be needed.
    I was just wondering on the legal side of such actions,doesn't have to be a gun it could easily have been an old chair
    Smile!...today is the day you worried about yesterday. :-)

Supanova II Weymouth....http://www.supanova-charters.co.uk/

Normally it remains the property of the householder until the waste transfer slip is signed at which point it becomes the property of the skip owner. So you're correct in that the offence of "stealing by finding" has been committed, though it is my understanding from the Polis that once stopped my mate and I as teenagers carrying a bloody great big couldron down the road that the person has to report it stolen for it to be stolen.