Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee progressive press and autodisk powder dispenser

I'm about to speed up my rock chucker with a couple sets of hornady lock n load quick change bushings. That's as fast as I want to go.
    Donald

Des, Dick, Darryl - thanks for your advice. I now have a Pro-1000 and apart from a couple of hiccups (not operating the ram fully and a crushed primer) all has gone well. Very pleased. It's clearly very important to keep the priming area completely free of any "debris", and it's a bit fiddly returning primers and powder to their respective containers after a session, but otherwise a surprisingly effective piece of kit!

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    Des, Dick, Darryl - thanks for your advice. I now have a Pro-1000 and apart from a couple of hiccups (not operating the ram fully and a crushed primer) all has gone well. Very pleased. It's clearly very important to keep the priming area completely free of any "debris", and it's a bit fiddly returning primers and powder to their respective containers after a session, but otherwise a surprisingly effective piece of kit!
    Depending on where you have the press set up, do you really need to "unload" it after each session..?

Now the kids have left the nest we have spare rooms, so smallest bedroom is now the "gun room" with a bench along the longest wall with 2x presses and a gun cleaning station on it...

Powder and primers stay in the press/powder measure the whole time... but then its a cool, dry room... if you're loading in the garden shed its a different matter...

Daryll.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    Depending on where you have the press set up, do you really need to "unload" it after each session..?

Now the kids have left the nest we have spare rooms, so smallest bedroom is now the "gun room" with a bench along the longest wall with 2x presses and a gun cleaning station on it...

Powder and primers stay in the press/powder measure the whole time... but then its a cool, dry room... if you're loading in the garden shed its a different matter...

Daryll.
    It's in a spare room indoors, dry, where I have constructed a small bench. I suppose I'm just in the habit of putting things away when finished but you're right - I could leave it all set up!

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post

Daryll.
    Ditto. Mine is only emptied when we go on hols.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Federal 100 SPP

Good morning Gents (and DesG - I was going to PM you with this but your mailbox is full apparently)
    Thanks very much for your helpful and reassuring comments a month or so ago when I was dithering over the purchase or the Lee Pro-1000. I've been using the press with great success for .38/.357.
    I was recently given a load of Federal 100 SPP, but mindful of the warnings put out by Lee regarding the use of any primers other than Remington or CCI I had a quick look round the internet but couldn't really find any glaring reason why this should be so, and I commenced loading...……. carefully!
    They do slip into the case very easily, but after about 30 rounds things started to go awry with tipped primers and also primers appearing on the priming ram even when there was no case in the shell holder. Noting that the Federals seat noticeably deeper than the CCIs, I measured them and found that the height of the Federals was 0.1165" and that of the CCIs was 0.1215".
    I guess that the Federals somehow just slip beneath the wee mechanism which (a) prevents a primer sliding onto the priming ram when there's no case in the shell holder and (b) prevents more than one primer sliding through at a time, thereby leading to a jam.
    Presumably this is the reason why Lee does not recommend their use!
    I was just wondering, therefore, whether anyone else had encountered this and if so was there an easy fix? Otherwise it's not a big deal as I'll just use the Federals with a hand primer and continue to use the CCIs on the progressive.
    Best wishes,
    Mike

I use whatever is the cheapest! I picked up a thousand magtec small pistol last week for 40quid and they work fine. I don’t remember having any problems with any brand in particular. I did take it all apart and polish the rough edges on the primer feed a while back and that made a huge difference to smooth feeding. After a while you’ll develop a feel for how far the primer is seating in the case. It doesn’t take a lot of force to pop in in.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Rereading your post got me thinking. The older presses (mine) don’t have a wee mechanism. Primers feed all the time case or no case.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

I've got a wee in mine.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    I've got a wee in mine.
    You should be more careful...…….

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    I've got a wee in mine.
    I wonder when it changed.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I wonder when it changed.
    Perhaps not long ago? I get the impression (from looking at lee-loader.com ) that the earlier models had a red painted, heavier base and the more recent ones an unpainted, lighter cast alloy base and the primer disposal down the centre of the main ram.

Where's the fun in not being ankle deep in old primers after a loading session?
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    Where's the fun in not being ankle deep in old primers after a loading session?
    Plus the odd live one to make the hoovering interesting!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!