Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee progressive press and autodisk powder dispenser

Lee progressive press and autodisk powder dispenser

Good morning. I'm hoping to speed up production of .38/.357 rounds (been having far too much fun shooting these) and think it's time to move on to a progressive press. I'm quite happy with all the Lee items that I use, and so I'm considering the Lee "Classic" Turret Press (although is the "Value" press also satisfactory?).
    However, when it comes to the powder dispenser I'm at a loss to know which one to buy. Auto-Disk? PRO Auto-Disk? Auto-Drum?
    I gather that the dispenser is pushed into the top of the expander die and is operated when a case is pushed up into the die.
    I thus have two questions for anyone who might be using these combinations:
    1. Recommendation for press/powder measure combination (this will only be used for pistol rounds), and
    2. Does the fitment of the powder measure affect operation of the expander die? I ask simply because I recently heard that in order to get the powder measure to operate properly, cases had to be flared more than necessary.
    Any advice would be welcome, thanks!

I’ve been using the lee progressive press since the eighties and swear by it for pistol rounds. It’s currently set up for 38spl and is only a 2min job to adjust for 357. I’ve also got spare turrets for 45acp and 9millie. (from the old days when us naughty children were allowed pistols).
    You do not need the flare the case mouth any wider than it takes to fit in a bullet. The powder is dumped when the case is fully within the flaring die.
    Be aware that the turret presses are a halfway house between single stage and progressive. The turret indexes on each lever pull but it still takes 3 or 4 pulls for each round (depending on dies in use).
    The progressive press dumps a loaded round with each lever pull. The only operator input is putting a bullet onto each charged case as it comes round, although there is a gadget that does that for you as well. You do need to pay attention to what you’re doing as it is easy to cock it up if one operation goes wrong.
    The kit comes with dedicated dies and powder hopper/dispenser.
    Kranks have the complete progressive press advertised for about £250 which might seem expensive but really does churn out 400 bullets an hour with no effort. I think my record for 9mm was around 600 but that’s going some and with an assistant refilling the case tubes.
    Feel free to message me if you need help. If all else fails I’m only an hour from you if you fancy a trip into deepest Wales.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I’ve been using the lee progressive press since the eighties and swear by it for pistol rounds. It’s currently set up for 38spl and is only a 2min job to adjust for 357. I’ve also got spare turrets for 45acp and 9millie. (from the old days when us naughty children were allowed pistols).
    You do not need the flare the case mouth any wider than it takes to fit in a bullet. The powder is dumped when the case is fully within the flaring die.
    Be aware that the turret presses are a halfway house between single stage and progressive. The turret indexes on each lever pull but it still takes 3 or 4 pulls for each round (depending on dies in use).
    The progressive press dumps a loaded round with each lever pull. The only operator input is putting a bullet onto each charged case as it comes round, although there is a gadget that does that for you as well. You do need to pay attention to what you’re doing as it is easy to cock it up if one operation goes wrong.
    The kit comes with dedicated dies and powder hopper/dispenser.
    Kranks have the complete progressive press advertised for about £250 which might seem expensive but really does churn out 400 bullets an hour with no effort. I think my record for 9mm was around 600 but that’s going some and with an assistant refilling the case tubes.
    Feel free to message me if you need help. If all else fails I’m only an hour from you if you fancy a trip into deepest Wales.
    Thanks for the information, Des. I'm not convinced that I'm going to need a progressive, but take your point about the differences between those and the turret press. I'll look at the Krank site; I was going to visit SGC in Newport during the week as they were also advertising some reduced prices.
    Do you use the Auto-Disk or Auto-Drum powder dispenser?
    I'll certainly message you if I come unstuck - thanks for the offer. Probably seen you at Rogiet?

Auto disc works well for me and quite a few club members on the turret press. I haven’t tried the auto drum on a press.

I haven’t been to Rogiet yet which is surprising when my sister lives at Haresfield. I’m based at Tondu ttsc.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Auto disc works well for me and quite a few club members on the turret press. I haven’t tried the auto drum on a press.

I haven’t been to Rogiet yet which is surprising when my sister lives at Haresfield. I’m based at Tondu ttsc.
    OK, thanks. The progressive kit is also available at SGC for a little less than at Kranks. However it's only a three-hole plate. More questions then! Since I also use the crimp die, I wonder whether (if I de-prime and clean the cases separately) I can use the expander, bullet seater and crimp dies in the 3-hole PRO-1000 progressive? That would make it an attractive option otherwise I'll have to be running them all through the crimp die afterwards as a separate operation.

The progessive is a three hole system. 1st stage resize and deprive, 2nd stage reprime (on the up stroke) case flare and powder dump, 3rd stage bullet seat, crimp. The case flaring tool is a through die which fits the auto disc system. The crimp die will put a tight crimp on if you want it, but I only taper crimp sufficiently to hold the bullet in place. The cases last longer that way. It all makes sense when you see it working.
    Although the turret press is a four hole system, I don’t know anyone that uses more than three for pistol carts.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Aha! Now I see how it works. I think I've missed a trick somewhere.......! I've not been using the seating die to give any crimp at all, but have been applying a light crimp using the crimp die. Doh!

The progessive is a three hole system. 1st stage resize and deprive, 2nd stage reprime (on the up stroke) case flare and powder dump, 3rd stage bullet seat, crimp. The case flaring tool is a through die which fits the auto disc system. The crimp die will put a tight crimp on if you want it, but I only taper crimp sufficiently to hold the bullet in place. The cases last longer that way. It all makes sense when you see it working.
    Although the turret press is a four hole system, I don’t know anyone that uses more than three for pistol carts.
    I've been using the Lee pro 1000 for years now, no issues apart from primer feed sometimes. Audi disk works well and never needed the crimp die. Use 6 gns of Unique for 158 gn rnfp for use in win 94 and taurus lbr.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    I've been using the Lee pro 1000 for years now, no issues apart from primer feed sometimes. Audi disk works well and never needed the crimp die. Use 6 gns of Unique for 158 gn rnfp for use in win 94 and taurus lbr.
    OK, thanks. I shall go for the progressive rather than the turret. My Rossi prefers the lighter 125gr TC, and I switched to N320/N340 when my tub of Unique ran dry...………….

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    The primer feed on mine was a pain for months with not feeding primers properly. After one very annoying session I stripped it all down and found the final feed to the case was very rough with moulding flash partially block the flow. 10 mins with the dremel made a world of difference. They do need a bit of tlc to get them working properly.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

I'll chip in as well... Like Des, I've had my Pro1000 since the mid 80s and its probably churned out 75,000 rounds of .38, .45 and 9mm so far...

Earlier this year I bought a .45LC underlever, and bought a suitable Lee shell plate carrier so I can change calibers in a couple of minutes.

Only this morning I produced 150 .45 Colt's, took about 30 mins....

But yes, Primer feed is the biggest problem.

I’ve got the Lee Loadmaster Progressive press and I like be it, you got to understand how it works and watch it all whilst using it as mistakes can happen VERY easily. I used the drum powder measure and find it very accurate and consistent in use.
    I deprime then clean my brass and being as it’s a five station press the first station is empty for reloading.second is sizing and priming third station flaring and powder though with the drum measure fourth seating and fifth station for seating.
    Before you buy one I suggest you watch the various machines in action either you tube or in real. I load for .357 and .44 on it. It takes me minutes to load 50 rounds in case I forget I've run out when I’m due to leave. It doesn’t take long at all if you got it all set up PERFECTLY and lubed up.
    HTH
    RSG
    Oh and a case feeder used on station one

I've just got a load-master and will be setting it up for .45acp this week hopefully.
    certainly seems that it's going to take some tweaking to get perfectly smooth operation.

Lee do suggest Auto-Disk for pistol and Auto-Drum for rifle. The Lee loading manual gives auto-disk measures for all of the appropriate loads along with a calculation to determine best disk to use and what the result will be for given powders at the weight the disk throws.

I've ordered a Pro-1000 for.38/.357 and have noted a few comments about the need to fettle the primer feed ramp. I'm looking forward to receiving it and having a go. Concerns about the auto-disk not coping well with extruded "stick" powder (like N320/N340) appear to be unfounded. Thanks to all of you who responded to my request for information.

No problems at all with any powders for me.... over the years I've used Bullseye, RedDot, Unique, AA#2, and for the last few years using N320 for .38.

I've just started using Ramshot Zip for the .45Colt.

All of them work fine through the Auto disk.