Thread: .308 resizing problem

.308 resizing problem

I'm looking for some advice if anybody can offer any.
    I bought some once fired RWS brass a while back for my .308, full length resize using rcbs dies on a lee single stage press. Then trim to size using a lee trimmer.
    Problem is now I've come to use them they won't chamber. I havent loaded them, just tried to chamber the empty case and the bolt wont close.
    I've stripped and cleaned the die, and tried adjusting it in the collet, so the shell holder is now almost touching the die, still no better.
    So is my brass junk? Should I buy some new brass and load that? Or can anybody offer any solutions that I could try? Cheers.

Do you have a case length gauge?

I would think the shell holder should be touching the bottom of the die or at least screwed in further. The only set up instructions I have here for standard shell holders and sizing dies says to screw the die in until it touches the raised ram and then lower the ram and screw in the die a further ¼ turn - these are for RCBS and Lee dies. You can buy sets of shell holders that are thicker or thinner to adjust the headspace.
    Also make sure you are using enough lube especially in the neck if using an expander, as I have heard of cases being stretched a bit by stiff extraction from the die.

If you have a headspace comparator and calipers check the resized cases against a fired one and a factory loaded case if you have one. If the resized case is longer than a fired one either remove the expander or screw the die in more.

ETA
    RCBS Instructions
    Lee Instructions
    Last edited by sarge4318; 08-10-2019 at 05:24 PM.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Nice one cheers, I'll try all that and get back to you.

That's worked a treat cheers mate. That little breather hole was blocked so I cleaned it out. Reset the die to the night you said, plenty of lube and its spot on. Cheers.

go easy on the lube as it can cause dimples in the case....i use imperial wax but they are other great lubes out there

I've got a rcbs lube pad and lube, seems to work well. It's funny because I reload for my hornet and .243 but I've never had any bother apart from now. Everydays a school day as they say.

The plenty lube comment was for the inside of the neck in case that was causing the expander to stick and stretch the case as it was pulled out. I've not had it happen only heard anecdotes but I guess if the brass is soft and the stick is great....
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.