Thread: open sights

nelsdad is offline Jings crivens an' help ma boab!

open sights

Well, I bit the bullet, stripped down my s400 and sent the guts of it to Ben for a service. Hmmm I thought ,what shall I shoot in my indoor range? (ok, its my front room with the door opened down the hall, a good 15 yards) I thought, "I'll shoot my spanish spring thing" so I removed the little scope that was on it and was about to put my decent(est) scope on it when I realised that I hadn't used open sights for years. So thats what I did, used the open sights - What brilliant fun its been I'm tempted to leave the gun with the open sights and not bother putting even a basic scope on it.

It took me back to the days of my first "real" gun, a Diana costing four pounds nineteen shillings and sixpence ( yes, that long ago ) Boy, did I run a few errands to save up for that one!
    Gotta admit , the old eyes aint what they used to be, with that old Diana I could pop a starling at 25 yards standing without thinking about it, now, my groupings are about four inches at 15 yards but its the best fun I've had in ages. Give it a try, take off your expensive scopes and give it a pop the old fashioned way - post your results and lets all see.

Bill
    Bill

The only rifle I have with open sights is a Mk1 meteor - think after reading this post it'll be going up the club with me friday night

I've already started regressing - comps have finished for the time being so the rimfire isn't getting used and the S410 is in bits so I've been using my old chap's HW77 recently.

Back to the old school

good old BSA

Quote Originally Posted by theboymike

The only rifle I have with open sights is a Mk1 meteor - think after reading this post it'll be going up the club with me friday night

I've already started regressing - comps have finished for the time being so the rimfire isn't getting used and the S410 is in bits so I've been using my old chap's HW77 recently.

Back to the old school
    The Meteor in its various froms was , and still is a fine old rifle. My sprog loves it 'cos its nice and light and she can cock it quite easily - and the little tinker can outshoot me with it
    Bill

Born Again Guest
    Try a diopter "peephole" sight. It isn't until you shoot one you realise how incredibly accurate they can be. With a scope you always have parallax to contend with, a peephole has no problem here and is capable of amazing accuracy, but only in good light.

Yes, I do love my old meteor - it's had so many rounds through it, it feels tuned

Sounds like you've taught your kid well

dunno if it would work with me

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Again
    Try a diopter "peephole" sight. It isn't until you shoot one you realise how incredibly accurate they can be. With a scope you always have parallax to contend with, a peephole has no problem here and is capable of amazing accuracy, but only in good light.
    Hi Brian. I dont know if the diopter sight would work with me, I've had my eyes lasered and they focus slightly differently, one long, one short. I still get a bit blurry when I've been on the range with one eye closed all night. Still, sounds like fun. I'll keep my (good) eye opened for one
    Bill

easy job

Yes, I do love my old meteor - it's had so many rounds through it, it feels tuned

The meteors are easy to refurb - an ox number two spring and a piston kit and a collet fitting silencer gives it a nice weight
    Bill

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Check out my post on the Airgun Review section of the board called 'Tuning the Older Springer' - worked a treat on my old (30 years plus) Meteor, and should only cost £15 or so. Long live the BSA Meteor!

Have to agree with you there BRIAN.
    At our club we hold regular open sight rifle (plus max 4x scope/rifle) competitions and its surprising what results, and fun, can be obtained with open sights.
    I prefer the small Williams/Beeman sports type peep sights mainly due to my old eyes.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Agreed, the only FAC rifle I hold now is a Anschutz match .22lr with diopters. Absoultely stunning to shoot...not far off a pcp, but weighing a ton! My favourite rifle to shoot, but I do get eye strain after a while with it.