Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes sometimes the impossible happens - English Hy-Score Sporter -completes collection

Yes sometimes the impossible happens - English Hy-Score Sporter -completes collection

Have pretty much complete collection of Hy-Score pistols here in the US, the one almost impossible to obtain over here is the English version. A fellow came on the American Airgun Forum wanting help liquidating a collection of Airguns from his deceased brother in law. He mentions he has a Hy-Score, thought nothing of it till he posts pictures. He was asking help so I was perfectly willing to pay full price. I asked him how his brother in law obtained it and he said his wife was English and they made several trips back to England. Probably a time when airguns were just airguns. What I liked was this was a early version with older Hy-Score sight and it was fully cased with all the accessories. Interesting the improvements made: front sight milled blade, very interesting improvement making the back sight adjustable for windage (see pics), barrels; wrench tighten, and the James Bond looking “cocking aid”. Interesting idea I think some had a actual moderator which silenced a gun that has little or no sound? Lol. But it looks very cool. Will have to get a family portrait of my Hy-Scores in the future. I’m sure Trevor will remind me of the one I don’t have!

For pictures of all the details punch this link:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/vWhpQjV

Last edited by 45flint; 30-08-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Hello Steve,

Congratulations on completing your Hyscore collection. As you rightly say, an early version of the English pistol with the same rear sight as its American cousins. I have never come across a modified rear sight blade like the one you picture on any English Hyscore pistols straight from the factory. As can be seen from the pictures of my own pistol below, the modification to the rear sight blade is not present on the standard pistol and was probably added later by somebody to provide limited windage adjustment.

Regards
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 30-08-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Interesting, wonder if it was a short lived add on before they bit the bullet and changed to the adjustable block sight? Looking at it it just doesn’t seem homemade? And the gun looks to be shot so little? A lot of trouble to go to when you have the dovetail you could tap left or right? Strange? Would be great if they had serial numbers so you could tell the order of manufacture.
    Last edited by 45flint; 30-08-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Nice find, pleased for you. Can’t help on the rear sight thing.

Any chance of a comparative test with your other US ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Nice find, pleased for you. Can’t help on the rear sight thing.

Any chance of a comparative test with your other US ones?
    Yes, that would be easy. As I look at it through the slot in the tube, it seems to be a very different looking piston? I will refresh my memory but I think many here have commented that the English version was not as powerful and I think that is the case. I had to lube this one it looked like it had not been shot much. I was still shooting oil out and as it started to clear I was getting close to 400. I think all my 800 cleared 400? Personally power I think is overrated in these types of pistols, I’m not hunting with these things.

But I will get the collection out and see the comparison.

Theory on sight insert? I read one of the issues they had with the old style dovetail sight was the tube steel they were using didn’t harden enough at that dovetail to hold the sight well. Could this have been the factory fix for guns with that issue. Fix the sight and create this sighting bracket for windage adjustment. The new block sighting system was developed I think to finally solve the issues they were having? One reviewer I read sent his pistol back when the sight fell off?

I'd never harass you about an odd HY-SCORE version but....

I do think you should watch out for the Jan.1952 issue of Popular Mechanics.It seems to have the ONLY advert for these pistols where the illustrated gun bears the legend '805' A number not to be found on a gun- as far as I know.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    I do think you should watch out for the Jan.1952 issue of Popular Mechanics.It seems to have the ONLY advert for these pistols where the illustrated gun bears the legend '805' A number not to be found on a gun- as far as I know.
    You can download a free copy of the Jan 52 edition here: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...page&q&f=false You will find the ad on page 74, clearly showing "805" on the illustrated gun, but the model number is not mentioned in the text.

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    But as a collectors of types of pistols the 805 is just a pinned Sportster? Got one. Should I care if a 805 is engraved on it?

“Cocking aid”

It’s funny to think there is one tiny area of firearms law where the uk is more relaxed than the us. (Wasn’t there also some issue about not having a safety?)

Nice find Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    “Cocking aid”

It’s funny to think there is one tiny area of firearms law where the uk is more relaxed than the us. (Wasn’t there also some issue about not having a safety?)

Nice find Steve
    Yes, US regulations required a safety in the 1970’s, having no economical solution they stopped production. Then Phoenix bought the parts and tooling. I think in the early guns they were using up old stock parts.

Here is the completed collection from 700 to English Sporter. Every type is here including a customized Sportster. Single shot and repeaters. Had opportunity to buy some chrome versions but really only like the blued guns.

First and last Hy-Score 1947-1989

Last edited by 45flint; 31-08-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Yes, that would be easy. As I look at it through the slot in the tube, it seems to be a very different looking piston? I will refresh my memory but I think many here have commented that the English version was not as powerful and I think that is the case. I had to lube this one it looked like it had not been shot much. I was still shooting oil out and as it started to clear I was getting close to 400. I think all my 800 cleared 400? Personally power I think is overrated in these types of pistols, I’m not hunting with these things.

But I will get the collection out and see the comparison.
    Thank you. A very nice collection.

On the power thing, I am sure you know that they were advertised as doing “about 400 fps” in .177” and “about 300” in .22” in 1948.

By the early 60s, they were advertising 450 and 350.

As the ad scanned above shows, Phonenix claimed 500 and 400.

On the whole “World’s Most Powerful Air Pistol” claim in early Hy Score adverts, I would just note in passing that their advertised velocity numbers were slightly lower (410/330) than those for the contemporary Webley Senior.

There is kind of a full circle of design going on with the first and the last Hy-Score. The first 700 had a fake front barrel designed to give the appearance of the Luger pistol. The 1989 took the same short internal barrel, but added a “fake” moderator to give it a James Bond type twist? Got to love silencing a pistol that makes no noise? Often with airguns it’s all in your mind anyway. We’re all just older kids escaping into make believe.

Last edited by 45flint; 01-09-2019 at 11:46 AM.

A really lovely collection of Hy-scores!

That 700 is in great nick. Pity the "powers that be", forbid trading in this type of currency now!